• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I4 FE version price in China

The I4 version price if China is 858000RMB,approximately $134360 US dollar. Some people say that LOTUS overpriced the car. I don't thinks so. At least you don't have to choose any optional config. It has been the TOP CONFIG. If you buy a Porshe 718S with 5-10 config in China, the price will be over $130000.

ayoyo

Reaction score
The I4 version price if China is 858000RMB,approximately $134360 US dollar. Some people say that LOTUS overpriced the car. I don't thinks so. At least you don't have to choose any optional config. It has been the TOP CONFIG. If you buy a Porshe 718S with 5-10 config in China, the price will be over $130000.
So is the i4FE in China 400HP or 360HP?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

That doesn't really matter in China, right? People there are very brand/image conscious and will prefer a Porsche even if there are already tons of them around. I get the sense that owning a certain car is more of a sign of membership in the upper class rather than an individual preference. Lotus is an unknown in China, relatively speaking. Worse, it's owned by Geely. It might as well be a domestic. Which self respecting successful person want to be driving a domestic car?

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That doesn't really matter in China, right? People there are very brand/image conscious and will prefer a Porsche even if there are already tons of them around. I get the sense that owning a certain car is more of a sign of membership in the upper class rather than an individual preference. Lotus is an unknown in China, relatively speaking. Worse, it's owned by Geely. It might as well be a domestic. Which self respecting successful person want to be driving a domestic car?
Geely probably knew what it was doing when it invested in Lotus. They know a foreign sports car brand would have better traction with the domestic Chinese market than anything they could come up with. That said, I'm not sure Lotus has the type of prestige that the average Chinese buyer is interested in. As a generalization, Chinese car buyers are only interested in cars insofar as the amount of prestige that said car can impart to them. When it comes down to Porsche vs. Lotus, for example, the former will always win.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Geely probably knew what it was doing when it invested in Lotus. They know a foreign sports car brand would have better traction with the domestic Chinese market than anything they could come up with. That said, I'm not sure Lotus has the type of prestige that the average Chinese buyer is interested in. As a generalization, Chinese car buyers are only interested in cars insofar as the amount of prestige that said car can impart to them. When it comes down to Porsche vs. Lotus, for example, the former will always win.
Yea, I was once chauffeured around in a Land Rover in Shenzhen. After befriending him during dinner and talking about cars in general, he explained the Land Rover is his wife's car, but he borrowed it to drive us because his car is a domestically produced Lexus. He explained that he has simple tastes in cars but always need to impress customers with the Land Rover.

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. It seems that you know the car market and consumer psychology of China very well. (y)

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yea, I was once chauffeured around in a Land Rover in Shenzhen. After befriending him during dinner and talking about cars in general, he explained the Land Rover is his wife's car, but he borrowed it to drive us because his car is a domestically produced Lexus. He explained that he has simple tastes in cars but always need to impress customers with the Land Rover.
Even for car players in China, they see Porsche as a premium brand with history and its own engines. On the contrary, Lotus is more pure but has no core technology (the ENGINE), less famous. Naturally they consider the price of Emira should lower than the start price of 718S.

cjtangmi

Reaction score
Even for car players in China, they see Porsche as a premium brand with history and its own engines. On the contrary, Lotus is more pure but has no core technology (the ENGINE), less famous. Naturally they consider the price of Emira should lower than the start price of 718S.
Well, brand imagery aside, Lotus has been known for being faulty and low quality. Porsches on the other hand are damn reliable. What's worse is that Lotus cars are usually pretty slow for it's price range, both in terms of feeling of speed and track times. But I'm still excited to see see if the Emira turns things around.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They are selling only 300-500 Emiras in China. China has 1.4 billion people.

It's not how the general masses feel about the pricing. It's how the 300-500 people feel who happen to be rich and like this car a lot that matters.

For everyone's general background, performance cars in China are generally super expensive.

Not to mention that no everyone digs the overweight frog aesthetics of Porsches.