• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Japan - Auto Insurance Experiences

shin73

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi team Japan!

As delivery approaches and I now need to look into insurance options, would appreciate your info around experiences in finding companies that provide coverage.

From what I have found out, it’s not possible to get an online quote as there are no insurance companies that list the Emira when choosing from the pulldown of list of cars, further, from what my dealer has informed, the Emira has no officially registered type (型式) so not even sure how to get a quote…

If I recall, I remember someone mentioning they got a quote with a group or corporate discount from Tokyo Marine? (Was it @virtualmacho??).

Any recommendations who can provide coverage? And would I need to call direct and negotiate rather than simply getting an online quote?

I would talk with the insurance company for your current car(s). They should know how to handle the 型式不明 type.

I have had my vehicles covered by Tokyo Marine for a long time using a corporate discount, and the Emira was just a swap for my previous car (既存契約での車両入替). I didn't shop around and ask other insurance companies because (i) I have a corporate discount, and (ii) the rates are pretty much the same across the board in this country (競争なんか無い).

The 車両価格 you want to be insured should include all the "dealer options" such as ETC, dashcams, PPF, ceramic coating, etc. This is the reason why I contracted the PPF company thru the dealer instead of booking myself.

Thanks @virtualmacho ! Exactly the posts I was looking for. Guess it’s time to pick up the phone and start to do some calling around

In preparation for (finally) receiving my Emira 2.0 Turbo FE (after exactly 3 years wait), I contacted my insurance company AIOI (where I already have two other cars insured).

It was quickly pointed out that the papers I have received from LCI did not have any 型式 (model/type) mentioned, and it was left “blank”.

Talking to other Lotus friends, it became clear that even on the official registration documents, many Lotus cars, including Emira, have 型式 不明 (フメイ) which means “unknown”.

I managed to Google a recent Japanese language article that explains the situation (those who need it in English can copy and Google translate it):

https://www.insweb.co.jp/car/kisochishiki/kiso/what-is-katashiki.html

I then contacted my AIOI insurance agent to ask how the insurance company will deal with a car that is officially registered as 型式 不明 (フメイ)?

This is the reply I received. I include the English language Google translation below:

「不明」の場合排気量によって保険料を決めることになります。いずれにしても自動車検査証記録事項が入手できましたらお知らせください。

If the answer is "unknown," the insurance premium will be determined based on the engine displacement. In any case, please let us know once you have obtained the vehicle inspection certificate records.

It should be pretty obvious that especially with the Emira 2.0 Turbo FE with its 1991 cc engine, that this will be highly advantageous and lead to smaller insurance premiums. (I think it greatly benefits the 3.5 liter V6 supercharged engine as well.) I am personally not through yet (I am still waiting for my car), so I cannot tell the exact Japanese Yen (JPY) amount.

But I am getting quite optimistic🍀✅

i also have contracted with Aioi. This is the class rating for the V6 (not sure is i4will be any different)

IMG_0779.png

i also have contracted with Aioi. This is the class rating for the V6 (not sure is i4will be any different)
Hi shin73
I think we are talking about apples and oranges🤣 型式 and 料率クラス are two different things. What is relevant to know is what your 車検証 have listed as 型式. At least two friends with Emira 3.5 V6 have 不明 (フメイ) listed there. It probably means the Emira is so new on the market, and also there are so few of them on the road, that 型式 has not yet been determined.

It would be interesting to know what 型式 you have for your car in your 車検証⁉️

I will upload information (from AIOI) for my two slightly older cars (one is an Alpina, that is considered separate from BMW, and the other a regular BMW - as you can see the “class” is high, which means high insurance premium).

Attachments

• IMG_5624.jpeg
    IMG_5624.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 14
Indeed, it’s 型式不明for me also. Not an issue, the insurance company just needs the registration papers to do the official quote.

It should be pretty obvious that especially with the Emira 2.0 Turbo FE with its 1991 cc engine, that this will be highly advantageous and lead to smaller insurance premiums. (I think it greatly benefits the 3.5 liter V6 supercharged engine as well.)
I think you're right. I'm with あいおい too, and my Emira insurance is much cheaper than I expected. It is true that I have a large discount (44%) for the gold driver's license and for having been driving my other car without any accidents for some time, but even taking that into account, I was expecting a much higher insurance payment for this class of vehicle.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 0.03.09.png

I have now received the registration paper from the dealer, and I have supplied it to the insurance company (AIOI). I do have two other cars, and currently my Japanese drivers licence is on “Gold” level. I learnt that it is possible to «shuffle» (switch around) the policies and the discount rate earnt among the cars insured. My Emira 2.0 Turbo FE will then receive an approximately 40% discount, and the monthly premium for the Emira will become just a hair more than 16000 yen. Interestingly the insurance company is also willing to raise the insured value of the car beyond the documented value (there is obviously a limit). I will have a face-to-face meeting with my insurance agent on the day before I receive my car.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back