• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

JUBU Emira 500 Power upgrade

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've just traded a couple of emails with Jubu.

I rather fancy (to begin with) going for their replacement ecu, thereby upping the 6800 limiter, and, having a way softer limiter when it does come in. The stock emira limiter is nasty! SOOOO abrupt. It cuts at 6800, completely!, then seems to drop and hold the rpm at 6600. It's hard to describe, but I don't like it.

Anyways, the Jubu ecu is pricey (€7k with map installed), but I figured they might be able to supply that, pre mapped, as a plug and play upgrade to say, 430/435, thus not requiring any physical mods at this stage, just an ecu swap.

This would leave the totaly stock lotus ecu to pop back in when it needs a trip to the dealer

What i found interesting, is that it seems their 435 upgrade, which has minimal mods (basically air cleaner and a remap of the Lotus ecu...somehow), peaks at 494nm torque. rev limit still under 7k... actually appears to be circa 6.5 looking at the chart.
The 460 (which uses the Jubu ecu, headers, sportcat etc) only makes 490nm (4 less than the 435), but revs out to 7100. I was puzzled by the lower torque, all be it slight difference.

Turns out, the 460 gets a different SC pulley REDUCING the SC speed/boost. So the reduced torque makes more sense now.

Not fully sure why they do that, and as I know from driving the thing, when it hits the limiter, it feels like it would be happy to pull & rev way more with ease, if it wasn't cut short by Mr Limiter, why they couldn't just rev it a little higher for some extra hp, and why it needs the headers for the 460, when it hardly feels like it's struggling to breath, or exhaust.

All a mystery.

Still waiting on an answer re the plug & play 430 with Jubu ecu.

Last edited:

Logoman

Reaction score
The stock emira limiter is nasty! SOOOO abrupt. It cuts at 6800, completely!, then seems to drop and hold the rpm at 6600. It's hard to describe, but I don't like it.

Agreed. The first couple of times I hit the limiter hard it felt almost dangerous - it unsettled the balance of the car like a kick from nowhere.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think if you're at 25k for an extra 100bhp then a different car might be in order. I could understand maybe 5k for an extra 10-15% but 25k for 25%...
I am interested in this because after the 430 option it seems the next sensible level of power.
I contacted JUBU because I intend to do this later in the year. The problem with the 460 kit is it’s so close to the limit it will cause additional stress and wear so for me it’s not £25k for 100hp it’s for a built engine and 100hp. JUBU said 500hp on the manual gearbox without mods is fine but I will do the flywheel, clutch, diff and better cooling with larger oil capacity.
They also confirmed they can map it for 7300 rev limit and the torque is close to max at 2800. I was looking for close to 600hp but there are negatives. Firstly it’s a different supercharger with peak power coming in at a higher rpm but the worst issue is the additional heat even with the extra cooling. It’s ok for a total track car but the safer option for cooling is losing the rear glass and having the carbon vented cover. For me it doesn’t work and as a fast road car with such good looks I personally think it looks out of place.
My aim is the built 500 option with loads of weight reduction parts.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've just traded a couple of emails with Jubu.

I rather fancy (to begin with) going for their replacement ecu, thereby upping the 6800 limiter, and, having a way softer limiter when it does come in. The stock emira limiter is nasty! SOOOO abrupt. It cuts at 6800, completely!, then seems to drop and hold the rpm at 6600. It's hard to describe, but I don't like it.

Anyways, the Jubu ecu is pricey (€7k with map installed), but I figured they might be able to supply that, pre mapped, as a plug and play upgrade to say, 430/435, thus not requiring any physical mods at this stage, just an ecu swap.

This would leave the totaly stock lotus ecu to pop back in when it needs a trip to the dealer

What i found interesting, is that it seems their 435 upgrade, which has minimal mods (basically air cleaner and a remap of the Lotus ecu...somehow), peaks at 494nm torque. rev limit still under 7k... actually appears to be circa 6.5 looking at the chart.
The 460 (which uses the Jubu ecu, headers, sportcat etc) only makes 490nm (4 less than the 435), but revs out to 7100. I was puzzled by the lower torque, all be it slight difference.

Turns out, the 460 gets a different SC pulley REDUCING the SC speed/boost. So the reduced torque makes more sense now.

Not fully sure why they do that, and as I know from driving the thing, when it hits the limiter, it feels like it would be happy to pull & rev way more with ease, if it wasn't cut short by Mr Limiter, why they couldn't just rev it a little higher for some extra hp, and why it needs the headers for the 460, when it hardly feels like it's struggling to breath, or exhaust.

All a mystery.

Still waiting on an answer re the plug & play 430 with Jubu ecu.
Interesting. I don't see the smaller SC pulley listed on their website.

Scope of delivery/Service

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Scope of delivery/Service
They can bespoke the kit to the customer hence stating they could do 7300 rev limited when the graph shows 6800.

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I got this directly from Martin Jung @ Jubu, and it's a larger pulley on the blower, reduced boost:

Hi Jon,
thx for your email.
Were are you from?

You only need to install the headers and the sportcat to get 460.
We change also the supercharger pulley and lower down the boost. (bigger pulley)

We can programm the rev limit and the cut. 435 is also possible via our JUBU ECU Emira kit.

Best

M

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I got this directly from Martin Jung @ Jubu, and it's a larger pulley on the blower, reduced boost:

Hi Jon,
thx for your email.
Were are you from?

You only need to install the headers and the sportcat to get 460.
We change also the supercharger pulley and lower down the boost. (bigger pulley)

We can programm the rev limit and the cut. 435 is also possible via our JUBU ECU Emira kit.

Best

M
So my understanding is the JUBU ecu Emira kit is a Syvecs kit with a collaboration base map between them and Syvecs. I’m pretty sure Romaine from RaceCal in the UK was involved. He’s one of the best Syvecs mappers in Europe and knows his stuff. I went to him after recommendation to map my RS3 that was built with a TTE855 and flex fuel sensor. They managed to get the boost spot on and retain virtually oem feel through the gears except some lag that was down to the turbo spec. He also mapped the Venturi RS3 that did 212 mph at the Vmax event.
I’m going to message Romsine to ask some questions about using the Syvecs and the burbles etc. on over run and gear change to make sure they can stay without sounding like chav gun shots and engine damaging back fires.

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No one wants Chav gun shots! (except for Chavs I guess. ..for the merkins here, a Chav is a bit of a redneck)

Jubu say that the ECU supports automated rev-matching, but I'm not sure how that would work with emira. Surely it would require the gearbox to inform the ecu what gear you're in / going into?

I don't think Emira has any sensors or switches on the gearbox telling the ecu where it's at.

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No one wants Chav gun shots! (except for Chavs I guess. ..for the merkins here, a Chav is a bit of a redneck)

Jubu say that the ECU supports automated rev-matching, but I'm not sure how that would work with emira. Surely it would require the gearbox to inform the ecu what gear you're in / going into?

I don't think Emira has any sensors or switches on the gearbox telling the ecu where it's at.
You are correct it only supports it if the gearbox has the required tech.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The gearbox tells the ECU what gear you are in, right? I'm not sure if it only does this after the gear change is complete, though. For rev matching to work, it would have to happen when the fork is pressing on the synchro cones.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Modern ECUs can infer gear from the wheel speed and engine rpm. It uses the neutral safety switch signal as a hint for gear change events.

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Modern ECUs can infer gear from the wheel speed and engine rpm.
That's exactly what Emira does.
It doesn't display selected gear, until you let the clutch fully out, including neutral.
As soon as you dip the clutch, the indicated gear display disappears.

So just some clever maths going on.

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Modern ECUs can infer gear from the wheel speed and engine rpm. It uses the neutral safety switch signal as a hint for gear change events.
Surely someone could do some coding for this? The only issue is if someone thinks there is enough uptake to make the money for doing it.

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Update.

OK, so still trading emails, as it's quite confusing to me, the various options from JUBU.

I got this from Martin, but again, it would require some physical mods, which at this stage (of my factory Lotus Warranty) I don't want to do:

Hi Jon,
yes we will send the kit by post and you have to install:
- the ECU
- the DeCat pipe
- the superchager pulley for less pressure (bit bigger pulley)

after install it is ready to use.

Power in total bit less that 440 hp.
The 435 hp kit with JUBU P+P isn´t available via website at the moment. We are a small company
with 15 people and we are fully booked.

If you have any questions please let me know!

After explaining that I wanted a mod-free (other than ECU) option, he said this:

Hi Jon,
hope you are well.
Yes not so easy to see the requirements for each tuning kit.

We can try which power we get with a full OEM car with JUBU ECU.
Will do our best - let you know.

So, wait & see I guess, hopefully circa 430, but with a higher, softer rev limiter.

I asked for:

Martin, that would be super helpful!
Stock mechanics.
7200 limiter, that is soft.
Best safe torque in that spec.

Last edited: