• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Loss of power - Supercharger Bypass Valve Issue

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So, my first serious issue with the car after 18 months. Cruising at a moderate pace yesterday I came to overtake, put my foot down and the car felt completely lacking in power and stayed that way for the rest of the drive. In the performance meter in the central screen it is showing zero boost pressure at any throttle opening and I noticed in the rear view mirror that the supercharger bypass valve actuator was not moving at all. On closer inspection the actuator seems to be stuck in the fully open position which would account for the lack of boost. There are no warning lights on the dash. It looks like the actuator is a simple mechanical vacuum device and doesn't have an electronic controller. I've never heard of anyone having this issue before. Anyone got any ideas what the cause might be? The vacuum hose to the actuator looks to be connected correctly, so I'm wondering if the butterfly valve inside the supercharger has become stuck.

Lotus Glasgow can't take the car in for over 3 weeks and in the meantime I appear to have the only normally aspirated Emira in the country :(

Sorry to hear that, hope it's simple. On a side note, thanks for observing that "Boost" read zero. I was wondering if that value was sensed/actual or synthesized from a table. Now we know!

You know, with everyone obsessed with rarity, maybe "1 of 1 N/A Emira" would bring a premium on BAT! ;)

I was wondering if that value was sensed/actual or synthesized from a table.
I wondered the same but there is a boost pressure sensor present in the service notes, so we can be pretty certain it’s real. Also readable via OBD

It has been diagnosed as a faulty bypass valve actuator, seemingly a rare problem. New part ordered, hopefully will arrive within a week, although I know from past experience that Lotus parts delivery timescales should be taken with a large pinch of salt. The car also had the latest software updates, the HVAC water shield fitted, and I was given a demo Emira for the day. Excellent service from the guys at Lotus Glasgow.

As it happens I have just picked up my car from Lotus Glasgow this morning. As expected the bypass valve actuator has been replaced and on the 40 mile drive home the car was running fine again. It’s very nice to have all 400 horses back :)

This seems to quite a rare problem, certainly the first time Lotus Glasgow have seen it. Presumably the cause was just a faulty part from Eaton rather than anything Lotus have done during manufacturing.