• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lots of water in the car door

seriously

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Washed my car today and captured a video of just how much water comes out when you open the door. When you first open the door you can hear water sloshing around inside. Weird! The other door had even more water than this. And honestly I did not put a ton of water on my car.

Then I parked my car facing downhill to see if there was any more water in there and just got a few drips.

My strong recommendation is that you open and drain your doors after any rain or car wash. I also leave my windows down to let moisture escape the same way it got in.

*Reduced video size.

Attachments

• IMG_7624.MOV
    5.3 MB
Last edited:
Drainage itself looks normal, the peculiarity is that most cars drain the water regardless of the doors being open or closed, but the Emira tends to drain when you open the doors... In any case, better to have water come out than to stay in forever. I open both doors after a wash for a few minutes while wiping dry the sills, and have no issues so far (almost 1 year ownership).

Drainage itself looks normal, the peculiarity is that most cars drain the water regardless of the doors being open or closed, but the Emira tends to drain when you open the doors... In any case, better to have water come out than to stay in forever. I open both doors after a wash for a few minutes while wiping dry the sills, and have no issues so far (almost 1 year ownership).
Yes. Only drains when car door open. I never think about opening the doors after driving through rain so that’s a potential point of failure especially for the passenger side if you never open that door. (Haven’t actually driven in rain yet.)

Conversely- I’m surprised at how much of the door and side sill area IS exposed to the outside. Essentially the entire “fat suit” is outside the door seal and exposed to dirt. When I opened my door large parts of the extended sills and under the door itself were filthy while the exterior of the car was clean. Just interesting to know and consider for maintenance.

I’m guessing you have a car outside of the dates with the blistering issue and late enough to get the modified doors. Interestingly I spoke to a non forum Emira owner who is going to get his paint sprayer brother to strip his doors a do 2-3 extra coats of whatever the grp sealer is just to be sure. Sounds like a great idea but we shouldn’t need to be doing this on new cars.
I haven’t noticed the water draining out but will be checking. Maybe it runs out while I’m hoovering the inside after a wash.

I’m guessing you have a car outside of the dates with the blistering issue and late enough to get the modified doors. Interestingly I spoke to a non forum Emira owner who is going to get his paint sprayer brother to strip his doors a do 2-3 extra coats of whatever the grp sealer is just to be sure. Sounds like a great idea but we shouldn’t need to be doing this on new cars.
I haven’t noticed the water draining out but will be checking. Maybe it runs out while I’m hoovering the inside after a wash.
"Non forum Emira owner"?

What does he do all day???? :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back