• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Emira 2.0 Reverse gear issue

Bellsemple

Reaction score
Hi, I have the 2.0 ltr version of the Emira, and sometimes the car is unresponsive when I try to shift it into reverse. This problem has led to me, abandoning parking manoeuvres, and parking elsewhere, so I don’t have to worry about obstructing traffic while I try to park. Lotus don’t seem to recognise the problem or have a solution. Has anyone else had this issue?

I've never had an issue with mine where I haven't been able to shift into reverse. It's not perfect, there have been some times when I've had to press the shifter a third time if it's not registered the double press to shift through neutral, but it's never caused me a major issue.

The need to double press to shift through neutral is the one complaint I have about the operation of the gearbox in my car. Unfortunately I think it is something we're going to be stuck with as it may be a hardware limitation rather than anything they could do software wise to change as there is only one possible position when moving the shifter in either direction.

I do wish they could've taken a shifter from the Geely parts bin that eg. works more like the one in my XC60 where there is an intermediate "soft stop" in each direction to allow selection of neutral if required but when you want reverse or drive you just push/pull the shifter to its full extent.

Hi, I have the 2.0 ltr version of the Emira, and sometimes the car is unresponsive when I try to shift it into reverse. This problem has led to me, abandoning parking manoeuvres, and parking elsewhere, so I don’t have to worry about obstructing traffic while I try to park. Lotus don’t seem to recognise the problem or have a solution. Has anyone else had this issue?
Yes - mine seems to behave the same way. From N to R can take 2-3 goes. I know how you feel especially when you are in traffic - few extra seconds to get to R can feel like an eternity!

Yes - mine seems to behave the same way. From N to R can take 2-3 goes. I know how you feel especially when you are in traffic - few extra seconds to get to R can feel like an eternity!

That’s it exactly. When parallel parking I ended up kerbing a wheel as I tried to hurry up my parking because the car had taken so long to engage reverse. I’ve raised the issue again, with Lotus, and hopefully they can resolve it.

I had this happen as well. Sometimes it most wouldn’t allow me to get into gear. And then strange sounds if it’s reverse up a hill

Me too. Maybe I'm impatient but it really doesn't want to be rushed. I would say I'm only getting a 50% success rate in double shifting between drive and reverse and vice versa. It is a bit embarrassing if you're trying to execute a competent maneuver like reverse parking or turning in a narrow space. When the car attracts a lot of attention you don't want to end up looking like a goon doing a simple maneuver!

Ah right the thread is for the AMG2.0 DCT, which has yet to be delivered to the US, hence the confusion. Disappointed to hear that manuals are having issues too though

Me too. Maybe I'm impatient but it really doesn't want to be rushed. I would say I'm only getting a 50% success rate in double shifting between drive and reverse and vice versa. It is a bit embarrassing if you're trying to execute a competent maneuver like reverse parking or turning in a narrow space. When the car attracts a lot of attention you don't want to end up looking like a goon doing a simple maneuver!
Yes, it’s frustrating and a shame it’s not up to standard for a modern car. I’m still awaiting a response from Lotus. Might not do any harm to ask your service centre to pass on your thoughts to Lotus, to bring some pressure onto the company to make some updates for improvement.

Yes, I have similar issue with my i4. It is very hit and miss moving from D-N-R and vice versa. More miss than hit. Even when it does work it seems to take an age. It is embarrassing when traffic all around you as the delay is woeful for a car of this calibre. I must admit I have not raised this with the local Lotus dealer but I will now that I know it is an issue.

I’ve had no issues with mine. Not the slightest bit embarrassed about anything

For those having issues going from d to r. Are you sure you’re pressing the brake hard enough? I’ve had trouble before and it was down to not pushing brake hard enough and rushing.

Thanks for the tips. I'll make a point to be firm with the pedal and the shifter to see if that helps.

Back