• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus factory automation

Yes, I know they are painted, but how are they painted separate from the body color?
Aren't the other panels all attached to the body externally? I wonder if they're painted on a carrier jig and then attached to the car.

Anybody got a photo of the blue demonstrator car with the door open? What does the inside of the doorframe show?

I don't know the process for certain, but if it's like the Elise and Evora production then all the panels for a car are painted as a set and then fitted to the chassis, rather than building the car and then painting it. So the body-coloured and black parts would be painted separately and then assembled.

The article has confused me, because it talks about the robots being able to open the doors to paint them. This implies painting an already-assembled car but I don't think that's the process.

This is a full panel set for an Evora about to be painted:

Evora panels 4035939654_2e6b18e93d_k.jpg

And this picture of a part-built Emira suggests the approach is similar:

241356552_4346530458737383_6251938885360749090_n.jpg

Aren't the other panels all attached to the body externally? I wonder if they're painted on a carrier jig and then attached to the car.

Anybody got a photo of the blue demonstrator car with the door open? What does the inside of the doorframe show?

Here's the door opening - same situation as the Evora I think, with panels pre-painted off the car then assembled.

IMG_7628.JPG

Makes me rethink the whole FE thing. If they have this automated high tech paint system why can’t we get the colors we WANT, not this limited somewhat lame number of choices

I am very lucky because I have not seen any color, FE or just imagined by Eagle7 that I would choose over the Verdant. However, I do agree with your post 100%. If Verdant didn't tickle my fancy I am afraid I would be speaking to my dealer on how to delay my order in order to get my color.

I don't know the process for certain, but if it's like the Elise and Evora production then all the panels for a car are painted as a set and then fitted to the chassis, rather than building the car and then painting it. So the body-coloured and black parts would be painted separately and then assembled.

The article has confused me, because it talks about the robots being able to open the doors to paint them. This implies painting an already-assembled car but I don't think that's the process.

This is a full panel set for an Evora about to be painted:

View attachment 2361

And this picture of a part-built Emira suggests the approach is similar:

View attachment 2362
This is exactly what I was imagining for the paint process. Just guessing here, but the door skins may be attachable to the mechanical structure of the door in a way that's new for this car as well, which would make the body paint process still reasonable in the way that they've described it (with the door operated by robot). Cars with full black pack might be entirely black under the body panels, while the single color cars might be entirely a single body color but painted separately (body and roof vs attachable panels) to keep the process the same.

I'm really interested to see whether they give us more information on this as production gets underway. Fascinating stuff.

*** rant warning***
I can't be the only one who's getting so so tired of these 'i might cancel' or 'delay' or the next subjective negative comment about colour, that makes no informative point? People trying to help with renders or paint matches have been covered many times but the fact remains that they are guesses right now. We have what we have, at this point in time.
If this is not good enough it really doesn't matter if you delay or cancel or what, it doesn't move the topic forward ... can we stop moaning about colours !?!

*** rant warning***
I can't be the only one who's getting so so tired of these 'i might cancel' or 'delay' or the next subjective negative comment about colour, that makes no informative point? People trying to help with renders or paint matches have been covered many times but the fact remains that they are guesses right now. We have what we have, at this point in time.
If this is not good enough it really doesn't matter if you delay or cancel or what, it doesn't move the topic forward ... can we stop moaning about colours !?!
But if we can't vent on here, where can we vent? Do you expect me to talk to my girlfriend about this? 😆

But if we can't vent on here, where can we vent? Do you expect me to talk to my girlfriend about this? 😆
are you sure you only have one GF?. I talked to her too, and suprisingly she said Ferrari Rosso. 😂

*** rant warning***

I think things are a bit more intense because people are thinking this might be the last ICE they purchase. Most I have seen on the forum plan on keeping the car indefinitely so they want to get it right.

The target for the Lotus/Alpine EV sportscar is to be no heavier than the Emira's 1405kg, 300+ mile range and sub 3s 0-60. That plus Lotus ride and handling will be pretty exciting. I think the Type 132 SUV is going to surprise people too.
Tom, do you have a link to any more info about this Lotus/Alpine EV sportscar?

Cheers, helpful as always. Glad that they're still aiming for lightness in the heavy EV era. Weight is my chief complaint with all the options out there right now.

I posted this on another thread but thought it was worth a thread of its own. Interesting article about the new factory at Hethel to build the Emira, supporting production of nearly 5000 cars a year.

I am just bumping this thread since Harry's video came out. The initial post by TomE has a link that explains some of the stuff we are seeing in Harry's video for anyone who is interested or who may be newer to the forum. I re-read the article again!