• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Loud hum / AC broken

Kimmax

Emira Whisperer
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
AC left me today. Seems like it’s the known issue where it only blows hot (does some little cold air if I’m getting lucky and on low fan setting).

Also only blows in the foot area, regardless of what setting is used.

What I didn’t hear about yet is a loud humming (almost like the sound big transformers produce but quieter) from the front right. It persists even after locking the car - I have to check in a few minutes if it persists after the ECU shuts off.
If it’s still there I’m going on a hunt to pull the fuse.. don’t want to see that car burning down

And no - it’s definitely not the radiator doing some retroactive cooling 😂

It doesn’t persist and shuts down with the ECU. Sounds like a pump running dry?
Gonna check what’s under the hood at that place

Last edited:
io( sgrat sgrat) non ho nessun problema( mai avuto fin dall'inizio), nessuna spia strana, nessun tergicristallo, nessuna cintura di sicurezza, nessun servosterzo che non va....ho solo stretto bene il cavo del positivo sulla batteria che era lento.

Car stuttered to stall on start today. Second time immediately started. AC is working again and the sound is gone..

Last edited:
Wild idea here, but could the AC clutch "get stuck" somehow? Not engaging all the way, rendering the compressor inoperable but still producing unexpected resistance that could stall out the car when starting?
I’ve absolutely no idea how that part works so "lol no" is a valid answer 😂

Wild idea here, but could the AC clutch "get stuck" somehow? Not engaging all the way, rendering the compressor inoperable but still producing unexpected resistance that could stall out the car when starting?
I’ve absolutely no idea how that part works so "lol no" is a valid answer 😂
If it was engaged halfway it wouldn't be as much of a load on the engine as if it was engaged all the way. I also don't think that if it's engaged during startup that it would be enough to make it stall or have a hard time, he's not that much load from an AC compressor. It could make it weird noise if it was only engaging part way and would make the air conditioning not work, but the starting issue is probably separate.

If it was engaged halfway it wouldn't be as much of a load on the engine as if it was engaged all the way. I also don't think that if it's engaged during startup that it would be enough to make it stall or have a hard time, he's not that much load from an AC compressor. It could make it weird noise if it was only engaging part way and would make the air conditioning not work, but the starting issue is probably separate.
Thanks for the insight. Half way enaged would be less load, but half way more then expected - I’m guessing it’s not supposed to be engaged on start up st all.

I do think however it’s a somewhat significant load, especially to overcome initial torque required to get spinning. If that’s enough to cause stalling I don’t know.

I also noticed the car runs more rough when the AC is on and idling. RPM is raised a bit (expected), but is being held less stable compared to lower RPM with AC off. However it always did that.

Let’s see how it develops in the next days. If I learned something about Lotus the problem is absolutely going to show up at a later time again 😂

My AC is also still dead. But I heard that its actually a software issue with the ECU. Engine throws some sort of error and the ECU disables the AC as a result of that. Not getting an engine warning light though.

Software update supposedly available ... soon. 🙄🫣

Got my software update(s) today! Two in fact, one for engine management and one for the in-board systems. AC back working for now, but I've been at that stage before.

Let's hope and see.

I was told that the limp mode issues should also be addresses by this update but it seems to be very hot of the press since Lotus seemingly hasn't released much detail about it to their dealers yet.

Got my software update(s) today! Two in fact, one for engine management and one for the in-board systems. AC back working for now, but I've been at that stage before.

Let's hope and see.

I was told that the limp mode issues should also be addresses by this update but it seems to be very hot of the press since Lotus seemingly hasn't released much detail about it to their dealers yet.
I’m getting updates on Wednesday. Fingers crossed it solves my climate control issues.

Back