• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

DCT conversion

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I understand that one of the great things about the V6 is the manual gearbox but it’s also something that restricts the performance compared to other cars of similar weight.
I loved the DCT on my RS3 which was treated to a map and a Wavetrack diff. The combination without any performance upgrades gave me a 0.4 0-60 decrease due to getting the power to the ground so well.
I’d like to know people’s thoughts on the JUBU DCT conversion for the Emira:

I have confirmed it is the DQ500 from the RS3 so can be custom mapped and accept the Wavetrack. It would be installed with heavy duty drive shafts and could have a pumped cooling system with doubled the oil. With dual clutch and with the above a would be reliable at 800hp to me it makes it the best paddle shift option.
I would be surprised if the 0-60s with launch wouldn’t get down to sub 3.5 secs and would eliminate clutch changes in the future.
The big thing I hated with my RS3 was the fully electric steering but with this set up you would have the best of both worlds.
What’s your thoughts guys?

I think if you like it, go for it. I didn't buy my V6 for competition or performance numbers, but rather for running mountain roads. A DCT wasn't in the decision tree for me, but I can see if you're competing it could help.

My actual competition cars (Evo VIII, Miata, JCW Mini) are also manual, though, because I also hate electric steering and you're right that they're usually mutually exclusive. In the mostly-stock classes I race, a trans swap is an extreme no-no.

I think if you like it, go for it. I didn't buy my V6 for competition or performance numbers, but rather for running mountain roads. A DCT wasn't in the decision tree for me, but I can see if you're competing it could help.

My actual competition cars (Evo VIII, Miata, JCW Mini) are also manual, though, because I also hate electric steering and you're right that they're usually mutually exclusive. In the mostly-stock classes I race, a trans swap is an extreme no-no.
I totally see the reason why manual is great and I have been enjoying the driver input side. I also think there is a gap in the Emira line up with a 4 pot DCT in the i4 and the V6 auto only available in the older technology torque converter style single caution gearbox.
I’m sure a V6 DCT would have been a popular option for Lotus if it were available.

I totally see the reason why manual is great and I have been enjoying the driver input side. I also think there is a gap in the Emira line up with a 4 pot DCT in the i4 and the V6 auto only available in the older technology torque converter style single caution gearbox.
I’m sure a V6 DCT would have been a popular option for Lotus if it were available.
Totally agree. I think it would have a high take rate. I just think they didn't have the trans available that would work with the V6, they didn't want to too closely copycat the competitor in Porsche, and they already had the AMG in the works with the DCT. Might as well make a manual-focused launch version with an old-school two-pedal setup for those who really don't want an extra pedal.

The main reason I bought the Emira was because it had a manual available.
Can't imagine paying that to convert a manual to an auto on the Emira.
Lots of people are buying them with DCTs and a 4 cylinder and I wonder how may would have bought a manual version with the AMG engine.

JUBU supply within the price the Syvecs ECU so a remap would be way cheaper that the £8k that needs one. If there had been a V6 3.5 DCT I would have bought one. I bought an Emira because I couldn't find anything else that looked so nice and I think it's a great platform to modify. I understand most owners will never modify their cars and that's great if that is what they want. Personally I would sooner have a Emira that has been modified instead of a more expensive car. Work permitting next year I intend to transport it to JUBU and drive back with a DCT 600hp set up. If we all did exactly the same mods the forum wouldn't have as much to talk about. At least you can talk about whether I am going to blow up. :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back