• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Manual shift not going into 1st, 2nd, reverse

Heading to pick my Emira back up today. The mechanic was able to get the car into all six gears just by pumping the clutch and working the lever (harder than I would have, I’m sure). He has no idea why it wouldn’t go into 1, 2 and reverse, but did witness it when it arrived. They looked through everything short of pulling the transmission to see what the issue was- per Lotus instructions. Sigh- hopefully it doesn’t repeat for me.

It’s been at the dealership for three weeks awaiting the water diverter for the AC resistor; now that’s finally installed. Can’t wait to finally be in it again.

Heading to pick my Emira back up today. The mechanic was able to get the car into all six gears just by pumping the clutch and working the lever (harder than I would have, I’m sure). He has no idea why it wouldn’t go into 1, 2 and reverse, but did witness it when it arrived. They looked through everything short of pulling the transmission to see what the issue was- per Lotus instructions. Sigh- hopefully it doesn’t repeat for me.

It’s been at the dealership for three weeks awaiting the water diverter for the AC resistor; now that’s finally installed. Can’t wait to finally be in it again.
Mine lost 4th gear completely after 2500 miles, complete engine / gearbox out job and extensive dismantling of rear bodywork, took 8 weeks then another 4 weeks for recall items.

Mine lost 4th gear completely after 2500 miles, complete engine / gearbox out job and extensive dismantling of rear bodywork, took 8 weeks then another 4 weeks for recall items.
what was the root cause and fix?

what was the root cause and fix?
The dealer opened the gearbox and checked the selectors which were ok, that's as far as they could reasonably go. A new gearbox from Lotus was required under warranty, I was told the factory strip the gearboxes and fit Lotus parts before they go in the cars. Its a huge job to replace and my car was basically disassembled from the doors back. The gearbox in my car was the worst manual in a sportscar that I've ever owned and the replacement wasn't really that great either even after the cables were adjusted. The demo car I drove was noticeably better so it appears there is quite some variation in these manual boxes.