Need Advice, I placed an order for my FE2.0 and my entire spec got messed up after waiting 3 years

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I placed a deposit on July 26, 2021, initially securing a spot on the list for the FE1.0 model, and was allocated slot 22 out of 22. Like many of you, I endured the long wait, which stretched into months and then years. Finally, on September 23, I was contacted to place an order for the FE2.0 model. Although I was initially upset, I decided to proceed and ordered a Mist White, hoping for delivery sometime in 2024.

After more months of waiting, I received a call on June 3 informing me that my car had arrived. However, I was shocked to learn that it was a Seneca Blue instead of the Mist White I had ordered. I couldn't believe such a major error had occurred. I asked the sales team to double-check, and they confirmed that the folder with the Blue Emira indeed had my name on it.

However, they told me that a similar spec would be arriving on June 14th.

My Spec: Mist white, Silver Wheels, Red Caliper, Upper Black, No Privacy Glass, Black Alcantra with Red Stitching, Sport Suspension
Orphan Spec: Mist White, Diamond Cut Wheels, Red Caliper, Upper Black Pack, Privacy Glass, , Black Alcantra with Red Stitching, Touring Suspension

Differences: Silver vs Diamond Cut wheels, Sport suspension vs Touring, No Privacy vs Privacy

I'm willing to compromise on the spec but only if they sweeten the pot. What would you do in this situation?

Last edited:
Yea, I personally would ask for some accommodations. It's actually pretty amazing that they were able to find one so close in spec. To me, none of the above would be deal breakers - in fact I would prefer the diamond wheels, touring suspension, and privacy glass. :ROFLMAO:

I would at least ask them to swap the wheels over you still prefer silver. Same as Nova, can't believe they have another car so close. And if you ever find that touring suspension isn't enough performance for your drive style, my guess is that you'd feel the same way about Sport and go look at the aftermarket anyway. You didn't mention, but I assume the orphan is at 2.0 price too.

And push the limit! See if you can get some complimentary ppf or first-service.

If you spending nearly $120k then you should get what you ordered
If they give FE1 price then yes I would take if. But doubt they will do that
I asked and they said they ran out of FE1.0 deals. :( 100% agree that I should get the build I ordered.

At a minimum they should change the wheels to correct spec at no charge. They can also order the sport suspension shocks and swap those out but may not. I would find some similar aftermarket upgrades and ask for that amount off the price if they wont swap the shock setup.
They've really messed you over on the color initially so should do all they can do make right as possible...but being a dealer...will find a way to blame you somehow.

I would at least ask them to swap the wheels over you still prefer silver. Same as Nova, can't believe they have another car so close. And if you ever find that touring suspension isn't enough performance for your drive style, my guess is that you'd feel the same way about Sport and go look at the aftermarket anyway. You didn't mention, but I assume the orphan is at 2.0 price too.

And push the limit! See if you can get some complimentary ppf or first-service.
I will inquire about free PPF, the first-service doesn't really matter to me as I live 3 hours away from the nearest Lotus dealership and yes it'll be for 2.0 pricing.

At a minimum they should change the wheels to correct spec at no charge. They can also order the sport suspension shocks and swap those out but may not. I would find some similar aftermarket upgrades and ask for that amount off the price if they wont swap the shock setup.
They've really messed you over on the color initially so should do all they can do make right as possible...but being a dealer...will find a way to blame you somehow.
I asked about the wheel change and they said no changes can be made.

This is where the decision becomes very personal. My brain would be running through the following:
- will I hate something about the orphan that can't be changed?
- will Lotus offer the V6 long enough for me to order another one (at who-knows-what final price)
- will a slightly-used Emira show up on the market in my perfect spec?
- was I going to buy another car now anyway, and if so, how does the competition measure up to the Emira?

I wasn't looking to buy another car yet but I could not pass up a slot to get the V6 manual given that it's such an end-of-era car. I was able to get a pre-existing Lotus NJ slot that was a near-perfect build for me. Would I have walked away from certain configs? Heck yeah! My brain can't accept a red interior and I'm really not a loud exterior color person. But wheel color or suspension spec or privacy glass would not have made me hesitate. It sounds like your orphan may not have deal-breakers.

For me, if I start to apply the "I'm spending good money and therefore the world should be without fault" attitude, then I'm going to be a serious grumpy-pants about everything that's not perfect with the car regardless of spec. Panel gaps slightly off, initial component defects, have to adjust my driving/shifting style, spare parts are delayed.... I'm willing to accept the possibility of all of these in exchange for this bespoke experience. But only you can decide what will make you smile when you grab the key every day...

Didn’t you get a build spec sheet that confirms your choices? How could they mess this up? Sorry to hear about it.

I never got my lotus gift so I suppose mixing up a build spec is not out of the question.

Didn’t you get a build spec sheet that confirms your choices? How could they mess this up? Sorry to hear about it.

I never got my lotus gift so I suppose mixing up a build spec is not out of the question.
All I was asked to do is submit a finalize build spec via email and she confirmed with me on the phone. Apparently the sales manager no longer works there ... 🤦‍♂️

I feel for you. I will also be very upset if my car doesn't come exactly as specc'd.

All I was asked to do is submit a finalize build spec via email and she confirmed with me on the phone. Apparently the sales manager no longer works there ... 🤦‍♂️
There was an order submission form with your name on it. They should be able to get a copy of that. Regardless, it's not like they are arguing with you on this. Just a sh*tty situation.

Take the orphan unless you REALLY want sport suspension for track days.
The tour suspension is perfectly acceptable for spirited on road use.

And who is your dealer?
I had to confirm my build twice by email. The first time was after I put the deposit down. They sent me a copy of my build spec.
The second time was to confirm before being built. They again sent a copy of my build spec.
It was all in writing via email with paper trail. Nothing over the phone.

Being an "occasional cynic", I question whether they gave your allocation to another person, ordered what that other person wanted, then the other person backed out, so they offered the other person's build to you as (opps sorry; here it is) yours...

I don't see how anything else makes sense. The specs were too far off. If that happened, they may also have pocketed the other person's deposit...which suggests they should be open to giving you a financial apology for you potentially accepting a compromise from your original build.

I doubt you'll ever be able to prove my suspicions above, however you should really question whether you want to continue dealing with this dealership. Are you planning to do warranty or any service work with them? Have you checked out their reviews? A dealership's reliability/culture usually starts at the top and filters its way down. You indicated the original sales manager is gone. Even so, I think his/her attitude often originates with the owner of the dealership, and if so, that doesn't bode well for your continued relationship with this dealership.

As for offering you something that's close but not your original spec, I wouldn't care about the other 2 differences but I'd worry about taking a tour suspension, since you could be reminded of your compromise, every time you get a different feeling from the road feedback. It troubles me the dealership isn't willing to work with you about the replacement (ie. wheel swap or cash apology), which reinforces its "I don't care about this customer or PR since I can easily sell the car to another" attitude. None of this is good.

That said, it's your choice and my comments above are made easier since I'm now driving the Emira I ordered. Sorry you've been put in this position and good luck finding a solution.

I placed a deposit on July 26, 2021, initially securing a spot on the list for the FE1.0 model, and was allocated slot 22 out of 22. Like many of you, I endured the long wait, which stretched into months and then years. Finally, on September 23, I was contacted to place an order for the FE2.0 model. Although I was initially upset, I decided to proceed and ordered a Mist White, hoping for delivery sometime in 2024.

After more months of waiting, I received a call on June 3 informing me that my car had arrived. However, I was shocked to learn that it was a Seneca Blue instead of the Mist White I had ordered. I couldn't believe such a major error had occurred. I asked the sales team to double-check, and they confirmed that the folder with the Blue Emira indeed had my name on it.

However, they told me that a similar spec would be arriving on June 14th.

My Spec: Mist white, Silver Wheels, Red Caliper, Upper Black, No Privacy Glass, Black Alcantra with Red Stitching, Sport Suspension
Orphan Spec: Mist White, Diamond Cut Wheels, Red Caliper, Upper Black Pack, Privacy Glass, , Black Alcantra with Red Stitching, Touring Suspension

Differences: Silver vs Diamond Cut wheels, Sport suspension vs Touring, No Privacy vs Privacy

I'm willing to compromise on the spec but only if they sweeten the pot. What would you do in this situation?
I’d be pushing for the free service pack for 3 years, sure they’d do that for you as the cost to the dealer is way off the cost the customer has to pay for it…..

For this alone I'd walk. They messed up and aren’t willing to do anything?

If you really really want this car right now I'd at least try to bluff them.

We’re almost st a point were dealers should pay us deposits 😂

I would either walk or have them submit a new build with your exact options and the same pricing. - They should be offering you some type of compensation (free ppt as example) but I would not settle for another spec you did not want. If that is the case wait another 6 months, that car will be 15K off by then...

I don’t understand how this happens - when I specked my car the dealership gave me a print out with the options we selected, pricing, and order submission linked to my deposit. It’s literally a print out of the order sheet we filled in on the Lotus system, why are some of the dealerships so cagey? It’s very fishy and almost sounds like some of them have played games and tried to put through FE orders they wanted hoping to shuffle the deck and resell them on their floor above the MSRP paid.

No changes can be made until it shows up for sure. The dealer can absolutely order the correct wheels and add them after/at delivery. Same as the shocks. They just wont do it or eat the costs. The privacy glass they cant change.
I'd be calling LotusUSA at least and explaining how they completely messed you over.
FWIW my experience was similar to others. They took my order over the phone, went line by line on spec. They then emailed me hard copies for my review. I asked what would happen if it shows up with something incorrect. Was told then they would have to make it right if possible and it'd be on him. Possibly dealer fluff speak since everything was correct on my build/