• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Need Advice, I placed an order for my FE2.0 and my entire spec got messed up after waiting 3 years

I’m currently waiting for my spec Emira. I hope it arrives (soon) as ordered but if it doesn’t I’m walking away. I’m not paying $105k for a factory ordered exotic sports car and it arrive with the wrong paint, wheels, trim, etc. If it’s a Honda Civic with the wrong paint and the dealer wants to discount the price then sure I’m still buying it.

But that’s not what this is.

Being an "occasional cynic", I question whether they gave your allocation to another person, ordered what that other person wanted, then the other person backed out, so they offered the other person's build to you as (opps sorry; here it is) yours...

I don't see how anything else makes sense. The specs were too far off. If that happened, they may also have pocketed the other person's deposit...which suggests they should be open to giving you a financial apology for you potentially accepting a compromise from your original build.

I doubt you'll ever be able to prove my suspicions above, however you should really question whether you want to continue dealing with this dealership. Are you planning to do warranty or any service work with them? Have you checked out their reviews? A dealership's reliability/culture usually starts at the top and filters its way down. You indicated the original sales manager is gone. Even so, I think his/her attitude often originates with the owner of the dealership, and if so, that doesn't bode well for your continued relationship with this dealership.

As for offering you something that's close but not your original spec, I wouldn't care about the other 2 differences but I'd worry about taking a tour suspension, since you could be reminded of your compromise, every time you get a different feeling from the road feedback. It troubles me the dealership isn't willing to work with you about the replacement (ie. wheel swap or cash apology), which reinforces its "I don't care about this customer or PR since I can easily sell the car to another" attitude. None of this is good.

That said, it's your choice and my comments above are made easier since I'm now driving the Emira I ordered. Sorry you've been put in this position and good luck finding a solution.
I'm kind of questioning this decision too. I asked the new brands manager who is assigned to my file she said, "I don't know how it happened." The more I think about it, the more I think it's not a mere coincidence that they happen to have an orphaned Mist white "spec" close to what I had originally ordered.

You're also right that this dealership is throwing up some red flags with how they've communicated with me from the very beginning.

Last edited:
its insane to me they arnt even changing the wheels for you.

if this happened to me im not sure what i would do. such a tough situation

I don’t understand how this happens - when I specked my car the dealership gave me a print out with the options we selected, pricing, and order submission linked to my deposit. It’s literally a print out of the order sheet we filled in on the Lotus system, why are some of the dealerships so cagey? It’s very fishy and almost sounds like some of them have played games and tried to put through FE orders they wanted hoping to shuffle the deck and resell them on their floor above the MSRP paid.
I also don't understand how this happened. From all the threads that I've read on this forum, the process seems much of the same.

1) Submit originally deposit
2) Dealer tells you your order is ready to submit
3) Customer submits build/finalize spec
4) Dealer confirms build spec and ask for final deposit
5) Customer gets confirmation of build

I thought maybe this dealership did something different so I never questioned it because I've always got a generic response of "There are no new updates."

Quick update: I ended up purchasing the car, and I must say, the diamond cut wheels look much better in person than they do in pictures. After test driving the touring model, I found it to be more suitable for my needs since I won't be using the car for tracking. I know it might sound like I'm making excuses, but I'm really not.

Silver Wheels -> Diamond Cut
Sport Suspension-> Touring

Thank you all for your input and advice.

IMG_0977.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update: I ended up purchasing the car, and I must say, the diamond cut wheels look much better in person than they do in pictures. After test driving the touring model, I found it to be more suitable for my needs since I won't be using the car for tracking. I know it might sound like I'm making excuses, but I'm really not.

View attachment 47077
This looks superb….

View attachment 47077
My car has red interior and sports suspension, but otherwise looks exactly the same. I love it and have been very happy. Congrats on yours and hope you love it just as much.