• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals Nelly's FE Magma

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I "should" be picking up my car tomorrow (31st July) at Hethel, so I thought I'd start a journal now.

Firstly, a bit of history

My first Lotus was a silver Elise series 2, 111 S with a stage two exhaust. I used to do a bit of salmon fishing in the Scottish Borders and did a regular trip of 150 miles each way. 90 miles of this on the motorway and 60 miles on A and B roads. The A and B roads were great, but the 90 miles on the motorway was a bit of a chore with only a five speed gearbox and a stage two exhaust - too much drone at motorway speeds.
111S_DSC_0085.jpg

I sold the 111S for a 111R, which had the Toyota engine and a six speed gearbox. This was much more pleasant on the motorway and despite having about 30 hp more wasn’t really that much faster, especially on the twisties. It also had the VVTi engine and revved to 8000+, with the “cam change” at 6250. The cam change was always a bit of a giggle, but since I dailied the car, having to rev the tits off it to get it to go anywhere was a bit of a bind.

111R__DSC4780.jpg
111R_nelly04.jpg

I then sold the 111R, with the intention of getting an SC (the 111R engine, 2ZZ-GE, supercharged). Went to look at one, but Lotus were having a deal with 50/50 finance over 2 years at 0% (how times have changed), so I bought the S Club racer. 2ZR-FE engine, with 218HP. This revs a lot lower than the 111R, but in daily driving is much easier / more pleasant to drive - it'll easily do 30mph in 5th gear. Pressing on, in the great roads in the north of England, it's a real hoot, but I'm still not sure it's faster than the 111S with 60HP less. Just more grunt coming out of bends. Which is nice.

S CR_DSC_5501-Edit_HDR.jpg

S CR__D750974.jpg

I thought about getting an Evora, but they never appealed somehow. The original N/A and S seemed OK and the 4xx seemed to me to be a larger Elise - just the same compromises, just more weight and power.

So,
  • Having had a car with a loud exhaust, I know I don’t need one (well, for 5% of the time, maybe)
  • Having had a car with high revs, I know it's not for me (well, for 5% of the time, maybe)
  • Having had a supercharged car, I love the linear performance and low rev torque
  • Having had a silver Elise, I'd say that driving a small, grey car with rubbish headlights at twilight in England is the nearest thing you can get to an invisibility cloak
  • Having had many people shout nice things at me with the roof off in my cars, even though I'm an introvert, it makes me smile.
  • Having got to the age (60) where my wife's had a new hip and I'm due one "soon", I know that getting into and out of an Elise is getting more ungainly.

So on to the next chapter. A red Emira, V6 manual.
  • Red is the fastest colour.
  • More cylinders are better.
  • Automatics are for washing machines.
Bring on Hethel tomorrow.

I "should" be picking up my car tomorrow (31st July) at Hethel, so I thought I'd start a journal now.

Firstly, a bit of history

My first Lotus was a silver Elise series 2, 111 S with a stage two exhaust. I used to do a bit of salmon fishing in the Scottish Borders and did a regular trip of 150 miles each way. 90 miles of this on the motorway and 60 miles on A and B roads. The A and B roads were great, but the 90 miles on the motorway was a bit of a chore with only a five speed gearbox and a stage two exhaust - too much drone at motorway speeds.
View attachment 29643

I sold the 111S for a 111R, which had the Toyota engine and a six speed gearbox. This was much more pleasant on the motorway and despite having about 30 hp more wasn’t really that much faster, especially on the twisties. It also had the VVTi engine and revved to 8000+, with the “cam change” at 6250. The cam change was always a bit of a giggle, but since I dailied the car, having to rev the tits off it to get it to go anywhere was a bit of a bind.

View attachment 29645View attachment 29646

I then sold the 111R, with the intention of getting an SC (the 111R engine, 2ZZ-GE, supercharged). Went to look at one, but Lotus were having a deal with 50/50 finance over 2 years at 0% (how times have changed), so I bought the S Club racer. 2ZR-FE engine, with 218HP. This revs a lot lower than the 111R, but in daily driving is much easier / more pleasant to drive - it'll easily do 30mph in 5th gear. Pressing on, in the great roads in the north of England, it's a real hoot, but I'm still not sure it's faster than the 111S with 60HP less. Just more grunt coming out of bends. Which is nice.

View attachment 29650

View attachment 29651

I thought about getting an Evora, but they never appealed somehow. The original N/A and S seemed OK and the 4xx seemed to me to be a larger Elise - just the same compromises, just more weight and power.

So,
  • Having had a car with a loud exhaust, I know I don’t need one (well, for 5% of the time, maybe)
  • Having had a car with high revs, I know it's not for me (well, for 5% of the time, maybe)
  • Having had a supercharged car, I love the linear performance and low rev torque
  • Having had a silver Elise, I'd say that driving a small, grey car with rubbish headlights at twilight in England is the nearest thing you can get to an invisibility cloak
  • Having had many people shout nice things at me with the roof off in my cars, even though I'm an introvert, it makes me smile.
  • Having got to the age (60) where my wife's had a new hip and I'm due one "soon", I know that getting into and out of an Elise is getting more ungainly.

So on to the next chapter. A red Emira, V6 manual.
  • Red is the fastest colour.
  • More cylinders are better.
  • Automatics are for washing machines.
Bring on Hethel tomorrow.
Magma, is indeed the fastest colour..... even when stood still! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_100719.jpg
    IMG_20230728_100719.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20230730_102116.jpg
    IMG_20230730_102116.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20230730_102056.jpg
    IMG_20230730_102056.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 209
Here's a few from yesterday. Just got back after 350mile trip home via my daughter's house yesterday. I have more photos & a couple of videos to share when I can get a few minutes to process them - these ones are straight from the camera.

It was dull / cloudy at Hethel yesterday.

For all those wavering - don't. Get one.

Emira_DSC_1783.jpg
Emira_DSC_1779.jpg
Emira_DSC_1776.jpg
Emira_DSC_1769.jpg
Emira_DSC_1768.jpg
Emira_DSC_1767.jpg
Emira_DSC_1766.jpg
Emira_DSC_1788.jpg

while walking around the factory seeing almost every combination available they all look superb. I really dont think theres a crap spec at all.
Magma seems to wear the lack of UBP very well indeed.
My most "surprise" like of all the combinations I saw (many) was a Seneca with red leather interior. Very striking. Not one for the shrinking violet.

A truly professional 'box-in' job on that poor VW Golf! :ROFLMAO:

A truly professional 'box-in' job on that poor VW Golf! :ROFLMAO:
It's our daughter's car and I hadn't had the tracker fitted so the car wasn't covered for theft at the time! Boxed in on purpose 😊

As Carl put it, A Mk1 Evora and 2 Mk3's ! Mine looks very dark red, admittedly it was almost dark outside.

Emira-4862.jpg
Emira-4861.jpg

Emira-4875.jpg
Emira-4874.jpg
Emira-4867.jpg
Emira-4865.jpg
Emira-4866.jpg

All of these taken on an iPhone in brief moments of sun. The car "changes colour" so much with changing light. All the cars with a metallic fleck in the paint do the same - it's lovely.

650 miles now in 10 days. Car is fantastic. Loads of people came over to admire it / talk about it whilst it was parked in front of work. It's an easy car to drive on my commute, which is 12 miles, about 3 of which on the outskirts of town in traffic. Interesting that fewer people seem eager to race it compared with the Elise. Never really been a fan of that style of driving on public roads anyway, so even Mrs Miggins in her Micra beats me away from the lights sometimes ...

I know that there's another thread (I may cross -post), but I thought I'd go through my thought process of specifying my car.

Suspension - Sport
I'm coming from an Elise (and a 2016 Defender), so any suspension on the Elise is going to be more compliant. I've never really felt like the Elise was too harsh, even when I used to daily it. I also spoke to one of the guys from the Academy at the Manchester Emira launch and he was confident that coming from an Elise, Sport suspension was the way to go.

Colour - Magma Red
I've always loved the Skittles colours of Lotus cars. If they'd had a Chrome orange Emira, I'd have probably had that. As I've posted elsewhere, the silver/grey are great for Porsche owners, but not me.

Black Pack - only lower black pack
After watching Harry Metcalfe choosing his config with Stuart Carr, I liked his view of the black pack / no black pack and decided to go body colour. Also, my current Elise is a Club Racer with black mirrors and roll hoop, so why not have a change?

Privacy glass - none
After seeing @Evotion 's video of the colours at Hethel, I agree with him that the privacy glass (from the side) looks good with UBP, by no without. So I changed it.

Wheels - DC wheels
Elise has black wheels. Previous Elise had silver wheels. Why not have a change? And now, the HotWheels models have DC wheels, so it must be right? Didn't want the Cups 2's though - NW England can be a little damp.

Calipers - Yellow
Couldn't be red. Maybe silver, but yellow goes with the Lotus badge (and is a "Lotus" colour).

Interior - Ice Grey
A mate of mine has had Range Rovers and a Bentley GTC, all with some shade of ivory leather. It makes the car look / feel "bigger" inside.

Wheel - black leather
I felt like the leather would match the leather seats in feel / texture.

Here's what the configurator makes it look like

YOUR_EMIRA.jpg