• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Never will sell that car

Tom's Emira

Reaction score
Hello. I had some problems with my Emira as many other owners too. But this is also the case with many other exotic cars like Ferrari, McLaren or Lamborghini which I also owned before. Porsche is perfect, ok, but you see them all over the city. I have my 993, which I love. It's classic. I liked (didn't love it)my 458 Ferrari. But my Emira I love most... the feeling, the performance... only few people know this car and sound, driving experience is the best I ever had.
20240307_171418.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! I was just thinking after driving my Emira around, I really have no desire for a Porsche product right now (even other exotics). I would, however, like to add a 993 in the future. :cool: That's the pinnacle of 911 imo.
I guess that's true...

Attachments

• IMG-20180716-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20180716-WA0001.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 69
I've had a long love affair with porsche. I have had a 997, a 991, and currently a tuned 992 GTS.

But they've just gotten so muted (and bloated).

I wanted the Emira to feel more analog like the 997 since the new GTS seems so muted (but is wickedly fast).

I have had some issues with my Emira. Its def not built as well.

But I did a 3rd cat delete, tastefully lowered it, and put spacers on it (12mm), and f**k, this car rules.
All it needs now is a tune, which I am getting.

Lean into life. Live it. Its short.

Every time I drive it its a great occasion and just feels great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a long love affair with porsche. I have had a 997, a 991, and currently a tuned 992 GTS.

But they've just gotten so muted.

I wanted the Emira to feel more analog like the 997 since the new GTS seems so muted (but is wickedly fast).

But I did a 3rd cat delete, lowered it, and put spacers on it (12mm), and f**k, this car rules.

Lean into life. Live it. It short.

Yes, I agree completely... I had 996, 997 S and then stopped and went back to 993... the last real Porsche imo. The Emira is with the manual gear shift driving like 20 years ago, but with much more convenience. And the initial problems are almost forgotten. The last half year ... no issues, just fun, fun, fun from the moment of starting the engine in sport modus... I just love it. Right now I convince my best friend to buy the Emira 6 cylinders too, then we go around the country together...

Last edited:

But I did a 3rd cat delete, lowered it, and put spacers on it (12mm), and f**k, this car rules.

Lean into life. Live it. It short.

Porsche's are great. Love the 992 design inside and out. But now I think of them as luxury products first and sports cars second. I think this changed after the 997 for me.

The Emira is by no means perfect, but the emotion and experience are there. With 3rd cat delete and tune it can only get better.

I kind of feel the opposite.
I've done 1400 miles in two months and I just can't seem to bond with the car. I really want to love this car as other than an MC20 there is nothing else out there I want.
But every time I drive it I consider that maybe I should just sell it.

I've done 1400 miles in two months and I just can't seem to bond with the car. I really want to love this car as other than an MC20 there is nothing else out there I want.

Great honest opinion! I would suggest the Emira and the MC20 are 2 very different cars apart from just the price tag. Both beautiful but optimize for different priorities.

I would strongly suggest you drive the car a little irresponsibly or much more aggressive than you normally would. Put it in track mode, redline it over and over, brake hard into turns, etc. Maybe take it on a track day to see if that changes your mind. If not OR if that doesn't even remotely interest you, yeah maybe not the right fit. Modern sports cars cannot be appreciated without some stress to see just how amazing the capabilities are.

But I did a 3rd cat delete, tastefully lowered it, and put spacers on it (12mm), and fuck, this car rules.

Yeah if my order window comes up I don't think I would get rid of my 997.2 c2s anymore. Having owned Evora and driven Emira they don't give me anything more. So if I don't have the room for all cars I'll probably pass on Emira at this point. Keeping my deposit a while though.

Sorry to hear you have not bonded with your Emira. Which, of course, makes me curious. What spec you have? Instead of picking up my original order, I chose an Orphan, which was essentially the same. But there were two to choose from one was a sport the other a touring. I can tell you had I chosen the sport with cup two's I would have felt the same. I don't track my cars mountain roads are more my style. Getting out of the sport and into touring was just enough to make me fall for it. And of course the ultimate of ultimate judges my wife I shall quote her verbatim "Now this one I like" I know the differences are subtle but they do matter. Good luck were car people finding that perfect combo that suits you is not easy. Like many others here I am a porshe fan as well with a 930 widowmaker a challenging car to love for sure but it's fun!

my Emira is really one of the better driving cars I’ve ever owned. My next splurge however would be a 911 GTS Targa.

But they've just gotten so muted (and bloated).

But I did a 3rd cat delete, tastefully lowered it, and put spacers on it (12mm), and f**k, this car rules.

12mm all wheels? how did you lowered, with the lowered kit from grp?

I've seen them side by side. Emira has super car vibe while the MC20 is a proper super car (also like 3x the price). The MC20 could be a good choice after years of depreciation thou

IMG_8379.jpg

IMG_8383.jpg

I've seen them side by side. Emira has super car vibe while the MC20 is a proper super car (also like 3x the price). The MC20 could be a good choice after years of depreciation thou

View attachment 47129
View attachment 47130
My Lotus dealer also is mainly Maserati dealer, so I got the chance to sit in a MC20 and while scissor doors are a sign for supercars the interior is surprisingly uninspiring, sort of boring to be honest.

And it weighs a whoppingly 210kg (450lbs) more than the Emira.

What do you feel it's missing?

My Lotus dealer also is mainly Maserati dealer, so I got the chance to sit in a MC20 and while scissor doors are a sign for supercars the interior is surprisingly uninspiring, sort of boring to be honest.

And it weighs a whoppingly 210kg (450lbs) more than the Emira.
Yeah my dealer had one in there too. It seemed huge and boat-like. I also think the Emira is better looking. But, the Mas I am sure is super quick and the interior looked amazing.

What do you feel it's missing?
When I drive my 550 Maranello, M6 or LC500 you sit IN the seats and the cars just seem to wrap around you. Everything seems to fall to hand easily. The steering wheels are the right size, position AND SHAPE (The Emira steering wheel is for anyone BUT "the drivers"). They have gobs of power throughout the torque curve. When things get squirrely, they are predictable, easy to manage and fun. I feel like the cars become an extension of myself.

I never feel like I'm sitting IN the Lotus. I feel like I'm sitting on top of it. Even after making adjustments to the seat padding, the seats still suck!! When I go around a corner I feel like I need all my body strength to keep myself in the seat. There is not nearly enough lateral support. The shape of the steering wheel is absolutely awful and doesn't allow for a natural placement of my hands. I am constantly adjusting how I sit in the car and where I hold the wheel. The low end torque is lacking. It's super jittery when trying to drive in a straight line (especially on a highway cruise). I am constantly making micro-adjustments to the steering.

It's a frenetic almost stressful drive compared to a playful enjoyable and fun one.

When I drive my 550 Maranello, M6 or LC500 you sit IN the seats and the cars just seem to wrap around you. Everything seems to fall to hand easily.

It's a frenetic almost stressful drive compared to a playful enjoyable and fun one.

I feel where you're coming from but I think a sports car should give a good shot of dopamine, as opposed to a GT, like the other cars you mentioned.

I never feel like I'm sitting IN the Lotus. I feel like I'm sitting on top of it.
New seats seem like a relatively small investment if that is the only gripe. I'm sure the Emira community would love your feedback on this too, since seats seem to be a pretty common concern.

I've been in your situation before with a car too though, and maybe it's not just one thing (seats), but lots of little things that add up. The path to ownership certainly wasn't joyful either.

Hope it works out for you, whatever you decide.