• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Never will sell that car

I've had a long love affair with porsche. I have had a 997, a 991, and currently a tuned 992 GTS.

But they've just gotten so muted (and bloated).

I wanted the Emira to feel more analog like the 997 since the new GTS seems so muted (but is wickedly fast).

I have had some issues with my Emira. Its def not built as well.

But I did a 3rd cat delete, tastefully lowered it, and put spacers on it (12mm), and f**k, this car rules.
All it needs now is a tune, which I am getting.

Lean into life. Live it. Its short.

Every time I drive it its a great occasion and just feels great.
Hi.. can I please see how the 12mm sits on the car? I lowered mine too and it defo needs spacers.. i was thinking of 7mm as I have no idea how it will look and dont want it too wide. Thanks

When I drive my 550 Maranello, M6 or LC500 you sit IN the seats and the cars just seem to wrap around you. Everything seems to fall to hand easily. The steering wheels are the right size, position AND SHAPE (The Emira steering wheel is for anyone BUT "the drivers"). They have gobs of power throughout the torque curve. When things get squirrely, they are predictable, easy to manage and fun. I feel like the cars become an extension of myself.
This is how I feel in my wife's V8 Vantage (2013), but the chassis dynamics are different. The Emira is very, very different from that sorted-out GT vibe and in my case I get the best of both. The Lotus is the car we added to make us better drivers by offering the challenges of more lively dynamics. Each car comliments the choices made by the other. I don't know what car blends both in a way that feels special in this price range. But we are selling neither.

When I drive my 550 Maranello, M6 or LC500 you sit IN the seats and the cars just seem to wrap around you. Everything seems to fall to hand easily. The steering wheels are the right size, position AND SHAPE (The Emira steering wheel is for anyone BUT "the drivers"). They have gobs of power throughout the torque curve. When things get squirrely, they are predictable, easy to manage and fun. I feel like the cars become an extension of myself.

I never feel like I'm sitting IN the Lotus. I feel like I'm sitting on top of it. Even after making adjustments to the seat padding, the seats still suck!! When I go around a corner I feel like I need all my body strength to keep myself in the seat. There is not nearly enough lateral support. The shape of the steering wheel is absolutely awful and doesn't allow for a natural placement of my hands. I am constantly adjusting how I sit in the car and where I hold the wheel. The low end torque is lacking. It's super jittery when trying to drive in a straight line (especially on a highway cruise). I am constantly making micro-adjustments to the steering.

It's a frenetic almost stressful drive compared to a playful enjoyable and fun one.
This is an interesting take. After having spent several weeks only driving the Emira to get through the break-in miles, I got in my Alfa Romeo Giulia and immediately felt boxed in. I kept looking to the area below the side view mirrors to see the road, but the window sills are there blocking the view. I think the way the window sills and forward area of the Emira are designed gives it the illusion that you aren't sitting in the seats, you're sitting on them. If you look over your shoulder at the height of the back of the window sill, and imagine that line going straight to the front without dropping, you'd have the feeling of being in the box, in the cocoon. The way the Emira window sills are designed is actually better for cornering (to me anyways).

The steering wheel never bothered me for some reason. I adapted to it immediately, but I suppose that's a personal preference. I'm sure somebody is going to come up with an aftermarket wheel that's round, if that's what you really want.

For sure the Emira doesn't have a lot of torque at the lower rpms, which is one of the reasons why I got the Eventuri, since it adds torque right away. However a Lotus was never meant to be a 'dig you out of a corner with gobs of torque' kind of car, it's a momentum car. They're designed to reach momentum and stay there with fine adjustments of the throttle and using the handling capabilities of the chassis. Soft springing and good damping was one of Colin Chapman's famous philosophies of handling.

Sounds like you'd be a good candidate for one of Tillet's seat replacements. Not only would they hold you in, but it would remove at least 66 lbs of weight which would help the performance of the car.

You might also want to consider a tune from Komotec or Jubu. I'm guessing an increase to at least 430 hp or more would add that feeling you're missing compared to those other cars you mentioned.

Even though the Emira FE is loaded with all the options, it's still the base car performance-wise. The performance was designed to fit within the £59,999 price point the car was originally supposed to have. If you want more, that's where modding comes in. As a platform to start with, including a double-wishbone suspension, it's a pretty good starting point.

I never feel like I'm sitting IN the Lotus. I feel like I'm sitting on top of it. Even after making adjustments to the seat padding, the seats still suck!! When I go around a corner I feel like I need all my body strength to keep myself in the seat. There is not nearly enough lateral support. The shape of the steering wheel is absolutely awful and doesn't allow for a natural placement of my hands. I am constantly adjusting how I sit in the car and where I hold the wheel. The low end torque is lacking. It's super jittery when trying to drive in a straight line (especially on a highway cruise). I am constantly making micro-adjustments to the steering.

It's a frenetic almost stressful drive compared to a playful enjoyable and fun one.
I love these different perspectives. Sounds like you have already moved on, so I would get it moving out the door while you can still recover most of your costs. I don't have the seating issue, probably because I drive pretty moderately. One of the things you don't like is one of the things I love. It takes my full attention and It doesn't let me be distracted which dare I say is a relief since most the time I am distracted with work issues.

Ha! I was just thinking after driving my Emira around, I really have no desire for a Porsche product right now (even other exotics). I would, however, like to add a 993 in the future. :cool: That's the pinnacle of 911 imo.
I owned a 993 for 10 years, truly loved build quality & intimate interior. However @ 282 hp it is really down on power. I considered a 993 Turbo, but the price are completely out of hand. I am just not comfortable driving a 200K car & always having to worry about it when using it.
Service costs are on the high side as well. 400 hp was my benchmark, hence the Emira. They Emira handles way better than a 993
Always a soft spot in my heart for air cooled P- cars. Maybe one day again.

@Eagle7 100% on the "low scuttle" affecting the feel in a big way. Gordon Murray is a big proponent of low scuttle, but other proportions and the seats in his cars are no doubt different to some degree. But I wouldn't be surprised if future T33 owners feel a bit like they are 'high in the seat'.

For me, the resulting sightlines of a low scuttle results in a commanding view of the road and traffic so it only adds confidence. Conversely, driving the Vantage through a tight and crowded parking lot is not a low blood pressure event, mostly because that dash and door lines are so high. But the down-in feeling is cozy and fun on a long haul GT drive.

It will be intersting to see how many people that feel too high either just get used to it, never like it, or will augment it with bucket seats for a more held-in feel.

Reactions: ADC
I owned a 993 for 10 years, truly loved build quality & intimate interior. However @ 282 hp it is really down on power. I considered a 993 Turbo, but the price are completely out of hand. I am just not comfortable driving a 200K car & always having to worry about it when using it.
Service costs are on the high side as well. 400 hp was my benchmark, hence the Emira. They Emira handles way better than a 993
Always a soft spot in my heart for air cooled P- cars. Maybe one day again.
The beauty of old cars is that they don't have to prove themselves anymore. It could be that at one time, it wasn't fast enough, but now that everything is fast... "feel" has been lost. These older cars have buckets of feel and offer something you can't get in modern cars. That plus fewer regulations allowed for different design elements. The 993 has one of the best 911 shapes with the shapely canopy, super thin window frames, curvy rear, clean front design and cut lines. The interior is super retro without looking completely wacky. And the drivetrain is old school.

I wouldn't even be interested in the turbo. I never liked the whale tail however popular it is. I like the clean design of the base or S. I would have it in black and I would pair it with a fun watch and go cruising. It would be high maintenance as is the color and I would be OK with it. :cool: maybe I will add one day...

That said, just came back from a quick lunch out with the wife. I mentioned that there isn't a single car on the road I'd rather be driving than this Emira. It is just perfect for what I want out of a car. Love it.

@Eagle7 100% on the "low scuttle" affecting the feel in a big way. Gordon Murray is a big proponent of low scuttle, but other proportions and the seats in his cars are no doubt different to some degree. But I wouldn't be surprised if future T33 owners feel a bit like they are 'high in the seat'.

For me, the resulting sightlines of a low scuttle results in a commanding view of the road and traffic so it only adds confidence. Conversely, driving the Vantage through a tight and crowded parking lot is not a low blood pressure event, mostly because that dash and door lines are so high. But the down-in feeling is cozy and fun on a long haul GT drive.

It will be intersting to see how many people that feel too high either just get used to it, never like it, or will augment it with bucket seats for a more held-in feel.
I have no issue with the sightlines and overall position relative to the car. But I actually don't like the seats either. While I have adjusted them and it's OK- I also feel that I'm not sitting in the seat itself, but on top of it. Might consider buckets although I dislike the idea of spending more money and I actually do like how the Emira seats look design-wise.

The beauty of old cars is that they don't have to prove themselves anymore.

This is a very good point. There are many retrospective reviews of cars on YouTube, and in magazines, which are far kinder to a given car than when it was new.

Also, I agree 993 is just about peak 911.

Brace yourself, what I’m about to type is heresy:

I think the 993 is a proto-Singer from another dimension. I suppose I’d need to drive both a 993 and a Singer to actually know, but my suspicion is that I would like the 993 more. The Singer is “re-imagined” and re-engineered to the point that it is something other than a 911. It is very, very cool, and fantastically well built, but to me it’s no more or less interesting than a cost-no-object restomod 65-70 Mustang or 67-69 Camaro build.

This is a very good point. There are many retrospective reviews of cars on YouTube, and in magazines, which are far kinder to a given car than when it was new.

Also, I agree 993 is just about peak 911.

Brace yourself, what I’m about to type is heresy:

I think the 993 is a proto-Singer from another dimension. I suppose I’d need to drive both a 993 and a Singer to actually know, but my suspicion is that I would like the 993 more. The Singer is “re-imagined” and re-engineered to the point that it is something other than a 911. It is very, very cool, and fantastically well built, but to me it’s no more or less interesting than a cost-no-object restomod 65-70 Mustang or 67-69 Camaro build.
This is clearly off topic, but enough 911 fans here to entertain.

I think the 60-70s 911s are peak vintage, 993s are peak retro (my fav). 997s are peak drivers maybe? Singers are peak wet dream.

I toyed with the idea of getting a vintage 912 … glad I passed. Cool car though.

• Haha
Reactions: ADC
Hi.. can I please see how the 12mm sits on the car? I lowered mine too and it defo needs spacers.. i was thinking of 7mm as I have no idea how it will look and dont want it too wide. Thanks
Here is mine with grp 10mm spacers and GRP lowering kit.

The look is perfect but have to say that I have a vibration at 70-75+ mph.

I did not have an alignment yet but I dont think it is the cause. I had spacers on my previous cars and it was not a problem.

Attachments

• E7A61505-CEAE-4AFE-95C5-2E16108BD230.jpeg
    E7A61505-CEAE-4AFE-95C5-2E16108BD230.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 47
  • A6CAEC51-12D5-4FBD-A524-5BA329F270C8.jpeg
    A6CAEC51-12D5-4FBD-A524-5BA329F270C8.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 76C80DE9-7FEA-4E3F-AADD-E0ABB122A9B3.jpeg
    76C80DE9-7FEA-4E3F-AADD-E0ABB122A9B3.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 47
  • E259A397-7E20-42C8-BD27-01A9CB0145FA.jpeg
    E259A397-7E20-42C8-BD27-01A9CB0145FA.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 46
  • 52F534A8-34DB-4FD1-83A5-8358280BC0A4.jpeg
    52F534A8-34DB-4FD1-83A5-8358280BC0A4.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 45
Here is mine with grp 10mm spacers and GRP lowering kit.

The look is perfect but have to say that I have a vibration at 70-75+ mph.

I did not have an alignment yet but I dont think it is the cause. I had spacers on my previous cars and it was not a problem.
Looks great the 10mm’s! I feel the 12 will look too much? And the 7s too less.. think you got the sweet spot there!

The beauty of old cars is that they don't have to prove themselves anymore. It could be that at one time, it wasn't fast enough, but now that everything is fast... "feel" has been lost. These older cars have buckets of feel and offer something you can't get in modern cars. That plus fewer regulations allowed for different design elements. The 993 has one of the best 911 shapes with the shapely canopy, super thin window frames, curvy rear, clean front design and cut lines. The interior is super retro without looking completely wacky. And the drivetrain is old school.

I wouldn't even be interested in the turbo. I never liked the whale tail however popular it is. I like the clean design of the base or S. I would have it in black and I would pair it with a fun watch and go cruising. It would be high maintenance as is the color and I would be OK with it. :cool: maybe I will add one day...

That said, just came back from a quick lunch out with the wife. I mentioned that there isn't a single car on the road I'd rather be driving than this Emira. It is just perfect for what I want out of a car. Love it.
My vote for a paired watch AP Vampire. Would match my Porshe and my Emira :cool: