• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Newbie Questions

drjazzsk

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hey all! New here. I've only recently started my new car search and came across the Emira. I've been reading through posts and trying to learn as much as I can about it. For those that DD it, how has it been? I'm in So cal, and the 2 dealers here are about 1.5-2 hrs away, so not convenient for any service or issues that might come up. That concerns me a little bit, especially given that it's not a mass produced car. I'm used to my cars being flat bedded in for service but the one place said the cost is on customer. I wonder if it's a warranty issue if they cover that or an update needed etc? I haven't been able to find online what comes with the FE vs the base (the base configurator isn't online). I got a chance to test drive one today. It was a FE V6, touring suspension in seneca blue. Black pack as well. It's almost exactly how I would have specked it. I must say the pics don't do it justice and I thought the pics online looked pretty amazing. It has an even more exotic look in person and it's lower than the pics make it look as well. What I was a little dismayed with was the engine performance and sound. It could use about a 100 hp bump to make it where it should be (perhaps a variant down the road). It for sure is sporty but not a rocket in speed. I didn't get a chance to take it on twisties/curves at high speeds but the power build seemed to come late and not up front. A couple other smaller things like seats were a little stiff and not side bolstered enough, no front lift, no blind spot monitor or parking sensors (or at least I didn't notice them). Ride was comfortable. It does give you that special feeling driving it. I'm a bit torn on whether to order one, although sales rep said it would be 1-2 years to get one. For those that bought in so cal, did you go through Eurocar or Galpin? Eurocar wants 10k dep, galpin 2.5k. I think Galpin wants a 10k markup on any FE, Eurocar not sure. Also since regular service wont be convenient, anyone know of good so cal places for basic lotus service? Anyhow, just trying to gauge people opinions or advice on some of these issues. Thanks in advance!

btw perhaps this info exists somewhere but why is the i4 DCT and the v6 isn't? DCT's are great in sports cars...super smooth shifts for us going for automatics.
One of the i4 reviews gives the DCT a bashing regarding laggy changes and ratios. I found that odd when it was good in the A45 AMG.
I’m used to DSG and understand what you are saying but being auto is moving away from the essence of a a real drivers car. Don’t get me wrong this is personal choice but it’s one less driver engagement like having electric steering. This is the last chance to get a mid engined manual gearbox car with hydraulic steering and will definitely be a future collectors choice.

One of the i4 reviews gives the DCT a bashing regarding laggy changes and ratios. I found that odd when it was good in the A45 AMG.
I’m used to DSG and understand what you are saying but being auto is moving away from the essence of a a real drivers car. Don’t get me wrong this is personal choice but it’s one less driver engagement like having electric steering. This is the last chance to get a mid engined manual gearbox car with hydraulic steering and will definitely be a future collectors choice.
Yeah laggy DCT doesn't sound good. That's very odd and not the norm. I don't agree with this widely held premise of auto's not being a drivers car. That seems to be a popular point of view that I don't share as there is so much that goes into the entire experience...the trans is only one part of it. And if you look at auto sales in general the auto makers don't think much of it either as sales do not show the interest needed to sustain manual cars. But to each their own on what they like or don't like. For me its a DD in so cal traffic...so manual is a no go. But even if it weren't for the traffic I still would want the auto trans.

I had read about the Aisin for the v6 somewhere. I’m not familiar if other Lotus cars have ever used dct. Either way it’s odd to me to have different transmissions. Wonder how the dct compares to the aisin? Shift times etc. I really liked my prior car with a dct. Was very impressive. I suspect adapting it for the v6 was more than they wanted to tackle but it would have been worth it.
The tuning of both the I4 engine and DCT were done in conjunction with Mercedes/AMG. Attempting to set the DCT up with the Toyota engine was probably never an option (even if Lotus had wanted to investigate that as an option), and using a different gearbox with the Merc engine was probably also a no-go.
Yeah laggy DCT doesn't sound good. That's very odd and not the norm. I don't agree with this widely held premise of auto's not being a drivers car. That seems to be a popular point of view that I don't share as there is so much that goes into the entire experience...the trans is only one part of it. And if you look at auto sales in general the auto makers don't think much of it either as sales do not show the interest needed to sustain manual cars. But to each their own on what they like or don't like. For me its a DD in so cal traffic...so manual is a no go. But even if it weren't for the traffic I still would want the auto trans.
Lotus have apparently done work to improve the transmission since the initial reviews. Some of the lag reported with the DCT was in relation to a mismatch between the engine revs and what was shown on the drivers display which would make the transmission's responsiveness seem worse than reality, hopefully a relatively straightforward fix. Other complaints have been around timing between pulling the paddle and the gear changing, but I've seen videos from both the Emira and A45S which look comparable. Overall I'm not fully convinced the DCT is as bad as some would make out, but only time will tell.

The tuning of both the I4 engine and DCT were done in conjunction with Mercedes/AMG. Attempting to set the DCT up with the Toyota engine was probably never an option (even if Lotus had wanted to investigate that as an option), and using a different gearbox with the Merc engine was probably also a no-go.

Lotus have apparently done work to improve the transmission since the initial reviews. Some of the lag reported with the DCT was in relation to a mismatch between the engine revs and what was shown on the drivers display which would make the transmission's responsiveness seem worse than reality, hopefully a relatively straightforward fix. Other complaints have been around timing between pulling the paddle and the gear changing, but I've seen videos from both the Emira and A45S which look comparable. Overall I'm not fully convinced the DCT is as bad as some would make out, but only time will tell.
When I did my test drive of the automatic last week I was instructed not to use the paddle shifters as I was told an update was required that hadn’t been done and would cause problems if I used them. I don’t recall how the shifting was otherwise.