• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Nighty night! To do list for hibernation and winter storage

Kimmax

Emira Whisperer
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's getting cold out there...

Time to plan for some winter hibernation of our beloved Emiras 💤
How do you go about this?
Things I've planned:
  1. Oil+filter change beforehand + Service is due so that too
  2. Clean it like there's no tomorrow
  3. 3-3.5bar pressure on the tires
  4. Remove the battery, and keep it on trickle charge. If able leave the battery in place and use a conditioner.
  5. A little salt or those gel things on the inside to collect humidity. Optimally run a dehumidifier in the garage.
  6. About 1/4 FULL fuel tank plus good quality stabilizer
  7. In neutral, no parking brake, wheels choked
  8. Notice inside to adjust the pressure when waking
  9. Car cover
  10. Move the car a few cm each month by hand
  11. Mousetraps all around
  12. Only start the car if you plan on running it for a good amount
  13. After starting don't rev it. Let it IDLE. Turn on the AC and let it run for at least 2 minutes to ensure everything gets lubricated. *No revs before doing that*
Anything else practical to add?

I'm not sure about where to store the car... My usual garage will stay above 5°C all year. But that spot is very convenient for me. The alternative is a nonheated garage with a vent, so I assume this will go sub 0°C. Not sure if it's a good idea to store the Emira there, given the fact it doesn't like water or humidity anyway :D

Last edited:
Very good points Kimmax. Thank you! I have invested in two fellas:)
EmiraCats2.jpg
EmiraCats1.jpg

They're going to start gritting the roads soon in the UK due to bad weather and I'm contemplating putting the car 'away' for the winter. When I say away, I mean it'll be parked up on the front and I'll use the other car until weather gets better.

Is anyone doing the same? Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I've been told that you should disconnect the battery to avoid drainage but someone else advises against this and says to just start it up once a week and let it get up to temperature. Also, any good outdoors car covers?

I will only drive if the weather is nice and dry. Otherwise it will be in the garage. As i have only summer tiers temperatures needs to be over 5 degrees…

After having ended up sideways in an armco barrier thanks in part to HP summer tyres and a light sprinkling of unexpected snow, there's no way I'm driving the Emira at temps <5C. And if its not going to be driven for a few weeks at a time, I need to make sure I dont end up with a dead car when I do go to use it next.

A cover is a bit take it or leave it but I just thought why not if its not going to be taken off for a few weeks.

They're going to start gritting the roads soon in the UK due to bad weather and I'm contemplating putting the car 'away' for the winter. When I say away, I mean it'll be parked up on the front and I'll use the other car until weather gets better.

Is anyone doing the same? Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I've been told that you should disconnect the battery to avoid drainage but someone else advises against this and says to just start it up once a week and let it get up to temperature. Also, any good outdoors car covers?
I would deinately store in a dry garage to avoid brake disc corrosion risking brake judder next spring.The sun and rain are ememies to any modern car. Also disconect the battery or leave on trickle charger. Never start and idle to warm up as the extended cold running can wash the bores with excess fuel causing oil film on cylinder walls to be washed away. Best if you start and gently drive untill fully warm as will reach operating temp quickly helping to negate the above. Pump tyres up 10psi over spec to avoid flat spots when left standing.

Best if you start and gently drive untill fully warm as will reach operating temp quickly helping to negate the above

Do not immediately start driving after prolonged downtime or you risk damaging the AC. Specifically stated in the manual:
After Storage Initial Engine Start

If the vehicle has been stored (and / or the engine not started for a period of 6 months of more), the air conditioning system should be switched on and the engine speed (revs), limited to 2,000 rpm for the first 2-minutes after engine start-up.

This will ensure that the refrigerant gas and oil fully circulate around the air conditioning system, preventing potential damage or premature wear of the air conditioning pump.

WARNING
Air conditioning failures / damage proven to be caused by insufficient refrigerant oil circulation as a result of excessive engine revving during initial engine start-up after long periods of vehicle storage / inactivity will not be covered by the New Vehicle Warranty.

I would deinately store in a dry garage to avoid brake disc corrosion risking brake judder next spring.The sun and rain are ememies to any modern car. Also disconect the battery or leave on trickle charger. Never start and idle to warm up as the extended cold running can wash the bores with excess fuel causing oil film on cylinder walls to be washed away. Best if you start and gently drive untill fully warm as will reach operating temp quickly helping to negate the above. Pump tyres up 10psi over spec to avoid flat spots when left standing.
Unfortunately I have on of those new UK homes that technically has a garage, but unless you drive a Smart car, its unusable. I can do some of the other things though e.g. over inflate tyres, remove the battery and put on a trickle charger.

Any cover recommendations?

Unfortunately I have on of those new UK homes that technically has a garage, but unless you drive a Smart car, its unusable. I can do some of the other things though e.g. over inflate tyres, remove the battery and put on a trickle charger.

Info on covers in this thread:

Can you roll the car into it by hand, from outside? With wheel chocks it could be a strategy for making the garage usable for storing it over winter.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back