• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Now that reviews are out is anyone having 2nd thoughts about Emira ?

for me the question would be whether to pay just a little more for a 2nd hand Aston Martin Vanquish or a Mclaren 570s (and pay for a warranty and suffer higher maintenance costs) I guess I just like to buy British (even 2nd hand)
Those thoughts have entered my head too - for another 10k I could go for a 19 plate Vantage. However its always the new vs used discussion. I love the Vanquish and was going to buy one before prices went up - a nice 15 plate with the new gear box.

The only real question should be. “Now that you have your Emira, do you agree with some of the negativity stated it the journalist reviews”.
I find journalists just a bunch of propagandists. Who pays who to say what. Talk to the real people for the real answers to questions.

Way to revive an old thread. Lol

Maybe some of the negatives that the journalists have indicated are true. But thus far, their opinions have been pretty meaningless to me. No matter how they praised or criticized the Emira, it doesn't change how much I enjoy driving it around.

Absolutely no second thoughts whatsoever. Had a couple of problems initially but they taken care of very promptly by my dealership.
Since no problems.
At higher rpm car sounds fantastic
Steering feel is awesome
Braking superb.
For me I have found the perfect seating position.
Handling have no complaints
Sport chassis perfect.
Do I expect more problems probably but I’ll deal with them if and when they happen.
I feel it is not necessary to believe most of the journalists are prejudiced and based on what lotus gives them.
I love my car.
Going to put it through its paces next week in the Arkansas mountains.
11 cars 10 Porsches 1 lotus. Fox among the chickens 😄

Absolutely no second thoughts whatsoever. Had a couple of problems initially but they taken care of very promptly by my dealership.
Since no problems.
At higher rpm car sounds fantastic
Steering feel is awesome
Braking superb.
For me I have found the perfect seating position.
Handling have no complaints
Sport chassis perfect.
Do I expect more problems probably but I’ll deal with them if and when they happen.
I feel it is not necessary to believe most of the journalists are prejudiced and based on what lotus gives them.
I love my car.
Going to put it through its paces next week in the Arkansas mountains.
11 cars 10 Porsches 1 lotus. Fox among the chickens 😄

I would love to see a trip report when you're back. I've been wanting to take the Emira on a driving trip to Eureka Springs.

The only real question should be. “Now that you have your Emira, do you agree with some of the negativity stated it the journalist reviews”.
I find journalists just a bunch of propagandists. Who pays who to say what. Talk to the real people for the real answers to questions.
In answer to THIS question, absolutely NOT!! I'm 250 miles in, and this car is just special. For the person (like me) that was excited that a manual transmission, analog type mid engine sports car was being made WITH a modern interior and current tech, you will NOT be disappointed. The car is just special... the attention it gets rivals that of supercars considerably more expensive, and the engagement and sounds while driving doesn't exist in other cars I've experienced... certainly not current ones. Lotus hit a home run here imho... the perfect swan song for the end of an era.

I would love to see a trip report when you're back. I've been wanting to take the Emira on a driving trip to Eureka Springs.
I will post pictures when I get back.
If you’ve never been then you need to.
Been going twice a year for 10 years and it never gets boring. One road that is a must is the Talahena byway.
Talahena OK to Mena Arkansas then north to Eureka Springs.

My Emira got better with every drive over the last 14 months. I would say it has now peaked and it is utterly terrific.
Indeed, I cannot believe it ever gets any negativism and that people are not buying them in their drives compared to other cars. The general market does not help but, wow, the car is a supercar in everything but absolute acceleration.

The car is just special... the attention it gets rivals that of supercars considerably more expensive, and the engagement and sounds while driving doesn't exist in other cars I've experienced... certainly not current ones.
Well said!

My kids on ride-alongs remarked that I seem really engaged with all of the controls, hands and feet constantly moving, and that it all appears really involved. I told both of them that this is what driving is like for those that enjoy it.

They are wow'd by the sound it makes and the confidence of the car at taking corners. Their reaction reminds me of the ride in a 240Z I got when I was their age over 30 years ago. If a car is able to open up the world of the true joys of driving to novice drivers by simply giving them a ride, then regardless of its faults, it has captured the essence of being a driver's car.

I can't wait until break in is complete.

My Emira got better with every drive over the last 14 months. I would say it has now peaked and it is utterly terrific.
Indeed, I cannot believe it ever gets any negativism and that people are not buying them in their drives compared to other cars. The general market does not help but, wow, the car is a supercar in everything but absolute acceleration.
I remember when you first did a video of the Emira. I think it was either at, or right after the reveal at Goodwood, when you did a quick interview with Matt Windle. Later in the video you were home sitting behind your desk, talking about the car and you were so enthusiastic about it. You said something like "this car is going to be epic" and you said it with such certainty. That's always stuck in my mind. Here we are almost 3 years down the road, and you still sound as enthusiastic about it as you were then.

Epic is a very high standard. Most modern cars can probably be called good, some are great, but very few reach the standard of Epic. A car has to have all 3 of those standards in various ways. It has to be generally good, with at least a few things being great, and at least one thing that's epic. The Emira has it. You were right, and you hadn't even been in or driven one yet. You just had that instinct that I think most of us had when we first saw it. It's what motivated me to immediately call the closest dealership and place a deposit which I did on the day I first saw it in the reveal video online.

The Emira is generally a good sports car. The improvements in the interior have brought it up to at least that standard. It's comfortable with just enough conveniences to make it suitable for a weekend car or even a daily driver. Power is good. The handling and steering are great. The chassis has that famous Lotus magic. The sound of the V6 as-is from the factory is good on the edge of being great. Forward visibility is great. The side view mirrors I think are honestly the best looking I've ever seen on any car. They're a work of art all by themselves. The headlights are great; maybe even epic the way they illuminate the road. Best I've ever seen or experienced. And of course the one outstandingly unquestionable epic is the looks. Nothing looks like this car, regardless of the price. It isn't flashy or extreme; it's just simply beautiful.

It's one thing to be enthusiastic about a car you've never been in, driven or owned, but if anything is going to lower that enthusiasm it's ownership. It's good to see that even after 14 months of ownership, you still feel enthusiastic about it or maybe even more. I'm already having fun driving mine, and can't wait to get past the break-in period.

I remember when you first did a video of the Emira. I think it was either at, or right after the reveal at Goodwood, when you did a quick interview with Matt Windle. Later in the video you were home sitting behind your desk, talking about the car and you were so enthusiastic about it. You said something like "this car is going to be epic" and you said it with such certainty. That's always stuck in my mind. Here we are almost 3 years down the road, and you still sound as enthusiastic about it as you were then.

Epic is a very high standard. Most modern cars can probably be called good, some are great, but very few reach the standard of Epic. A car has to have all 3 of those standards in various ways. It has to be generally good, with at least a few things being great, and at least one thing that's epic. The Emira has it. You were right, and you hadn't even been in or driven one yet. You just had that instinct that I think most of us had when we first saw it. It's what motivated me to immediately call the closest dealership and place a deposit which I did on the day I first saw it in the reveal video online.

The Emira is generally a good sports car. The improvements in the interior have brought it up to at least that standard. It's comfortable with just enough conveniences to make it suitable for a weekend car or even a daily driver. Power is good. The handling and steering are great. The chassis has that famous Lotus magic. The sound of the V6 as-is from the factory is good on the edge of being great. Forward visibility is great. The side view mirrors I think are honestly the best looking I've ever seen on any car. They're a work of art all by themselves. The headlights are great; maybe even epic the way they illuminate the road. Best I've ever seen or experienced. And of course the one outstandingly unquestionable epic is the looks. Nothing looks like this car, regardless of the price. It isn't flashy or extreme; it's just simply beautiful.

It's one thing to be enthusiastic about a car you've never been in, driven or owned, but if anything is going to lower that enthusiasm it's ownership. It's good to see that even after 14 months of ownership, you still feel enthusiastic about it or maybe even more. I'm already having fun driving mine, and can't wait to get past the break-in period.

Eagle, do you have a blog thread? I hadn’t realised that yours had arrived. I’ve been following your posts ever since we started on this forum… seems like many years ago!

Eagle, do you have a blog thread? I hadn’t realised that yours had arrived. I’ve been following your posts ever since we started on this forum… seems like many years ago!
Thank you for the follow! It seems like it's been years because it actually has been lol. I put my deposit down on July 11, 2021, and didn't get my car until 10 days ago.

No I don't have a project thread yet, but I'm about to. I was more or less going to wait until I'm through the break-in period to start a thread. There are some things I want to do to the car, and I'd like to be able to start doing them one after the other. I already replaced the factory battery with an Antigravity battery though, and have custom forged wheels on order. By the time those arrive I should be through the break-in period and I'll start my thread with those.

I have a graphic theme I'm going to put on the car, as well as some other things. However I wanted to get used to the car first, before I did anything serious, so I'd have a basic benchmark feeling of what the car is like from the factory. So far it's better than I was expecting, and I was expecting it to be good.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back