• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

options to improve manual shift speed?

seriously

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
so I enjoy the manual shifting action. gates are well defined, rifle bolt action. however, two issues I'd like to improve.

1. what options are there to lower the resistance of the manual shift? is there different transmission fluid or different springs or something?
2. why does the Emira prefer slower deliberate shifting? many reviews mention this and I also find it to be true. when I try to shift quickly - it's more abrupt. when I take my time, I can execute smooth shifts easily. Is this something to do with the clutch or the supercharger platform?

hopping out of an s2000 I'm reminded of just how good manual shifting can be. very little effort to shift, very easy to shift quickly- gets you into a flow with the car. in the Emira everything feels like it requires so much deliberate action and it's more staccato in feel - like power, then bang power, then bang power. it almost feels like a muscle car compared to the easier to manage Honda.

The S2000 had S-tier syncros and made for a silky smooth gearbox, the Emira gearbox simply isn't anywhere nearly as refined. I don't think there's much you can do without really tearing into the gearbox and rebuilding it with some custom parts.

Coming from an s2000 I know exactly what you mean. Especially the “staccato” feeling now. I imagine I’ll learn to drive around it, but the shifting and power proved difficult to drive the Emira smoothly around track.

I switched to a heavier shift knob for a slight improvement in feel.
IMG_5066.jpeg

Coming from an s2000 I know exactly what you mean. Especially the “staccato” feeling now. I imagine I’ll learn to drive around it, but the shifting and power proved difficult to drive the Emira smoothly around track.

I switched to a heavier shift knob for a slight improvement in feel. View attachment 52190
this makes sense as one physical option to counter balance the shifting resistance. problem is I am one of the few that like the stock shift knob! maybe if I can find a weighted one that looks OEM.

There's not a lot out for emiras but searching for evoras I found this company who replaces the whole linkage assembly. It looks pretty involved and a bit sparse on details for how it feels at the end but worth a call/email to them to find out and see if they can make an Emira version.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back