Petrol Ped Review V6/i4. i4 shifting issue remains?

TheMotizzle

Reaction score

He loves the V6 and hates the i4 because of the slow downshift issue. I heard the i4 shifting problems were solved. Can any i4 owners confirm if the slow shift speed he's experiencing is accurate or if he's using an old model? He demonstrates at 21:50.

I’ve had no issues. It shifts as fast as my M4 did a few years ago and the engine is pretty mental when it’s rung out on a U.K. b road. The only thing that catches me out is low revs away from junctions where I’ve pulled second before it’s ready. Personally I’ve always had a soft spot for 4 cylinder lotus cars and it ticks the boxes for me.

I’ve had no issues. It shifts as fast as my M4 did a few years ago and the engine is pretty mental when it’s rung out on a U.K. b road. The only thing that catches me out is low revs away from junctions where I’ve pulled second before it’s ready. Personally I’ve always had a soft spot for 4 cylinder lotus cars and it ticks the boxes for me.

It sounds like the i4 in the video was probably an early model before they fixed the issue. Thanks for the feedback. As an i4 depositor, this is great to hear.

I’ll take mine out later today and see what the downshifts are like. I’ve watched the video and personally not noticed a delay. I’ve driven a v6 and I think the i4 handles a little better, my steering feels a bit sharper and overall better controlled an b roads. I’m sure you get used to the manual box but it did seem a bit slow. He did say the i4 is better on the motorway and I’ve done a 250 mile stint and it was ok.

I'm a bit surprised by this too. I was pleasantly surprised when I drove it as this perceived lag was my biggest worry about the i4. I'd say it's the same responsiveness as the Audi RS3 DCT and maybe marginally slower than the BMW M3 DCT. I'll also make a more critical assessment of it when I'm out tomorrow.

The car in the video is running a 24 plate so it was first registered March or later this year. It is therefore a newer car, not one from the original i4 reviews.

A DCT gearbox will lag if a gear change is requested in the opposite direction to the one it's programming has preselected. I have only noticed anything similar to what is demonstrated in this video when I've actively gone out of my way to try to confuse the gearbox, and to me it feels like he's doing something similar here to make the car look as bad as possible (he's not exactly driving it normally in the demo).

The responsiveness does seem to get better as you go from tour to sport to track (I note that he doesn't say what mode the car is in during his demonstration) and overall I've got no complaints about the gearbox performance in mine when I've been driving it on the roads.