Popping noise near subwoofer

I've tried with A/C on and off, window open or closed, radio on or off. Doesn't seem to matter. It just randomly happens once in awhile without any particular pattern that I can see. It's not loud; the only thing I've noticed is no matter when it happens, whatever it is, it always sounds the same at the same volume.

Not a deal breaker, just a curiosity. I guess it wouldn't be a Lotus if it didn't have at least one quirk lol.
I’ve had the same “pop” sound. Opening the door, sometimes randomly when driving. Sounds like the subwoofer to me as well.

I think it is not fair to soil the honorable Colin Chapman, or even the Lotus name itself, with this unfavorable noise. It isn’t even related to the KEF speaker drivers that give the name to the car audio system of the Emira. It is the erroneously chosen “Fresh Air” subwoofer that is trying to use the entire cavity of the Emira as a “cabinet”.

So the correct term is:

FRESH AIR FART

(As I have made clear in other threads; I am intending to surgically remove this subwoofer from my EMIRA when it (soon) arrives; and I will replace it with a properly designed alternative subwoofer (most likely one with a closed box, acoustic suspension, cabinet system).

Fresh Air Rapid Transient
Unfortunately you will only achieve “rapid bass transients” with a closed box, acoustic suspension system. (Immediate start/stop - no “overhang, blurring, delay”.)

Oddly, I don't have any of these popping sounds in my car and I'm sensitive to odd noises like this. Does any one else *NOT* have this issue with their cars?
Def hear this in mine for sure. I agree with the member stating that it's likely an air pressure relief flap for cabin air pressure equalization with the outside... or something of that nature. It does not sound like it's from the sub...

Def hear this in mine for sure. I agree with the member stating that it's likely an air pressure relief flap for cabin air pressure equalization with the outside... or something of that nature. It does not sound like it's from the sub...

Hi CoryC

Sorry to call you out on this but it's definitely not the air pressure relief flap causing this.
The Flap (located in the right rear of the car, next to the sub) is designed only to release air when closing the doors, the flap cannot move in the opposite direction - Have a look at the below - this is the relief flap you're referring to.

Trust me, I've had my car in bits & ripped out all the KEF speakers, including the Sub, and replaced it with high end equipment. My car doesn't make this sound anymore, plus the audio now sounds as good as the car looks. ;)👍

1717930440666.jpeg

Hi CoryC

Sorry to call you out on this but it's definitely not the air pressure relief flap causing this.
The Flap (located in the right rear of the car, next to the sub) is designed only to release air when closing the doors, the flap cannot move in the opposite direction - Have a look at the below - this is the relief flap you're referring to.

Trust me, I've had my car in bits & ripped out all the KEF speakers, including the Sub, and replaced it with high end equipment. My car doesn't make this sound anymore, plus the audio now sounds as good as the car looks. ;)👍

View attachment 45404
I welcome the call out! I had simply assumed that's what it had to be... having narrowed it down to the stock sub, do we think that "popping" sound had to do with the air pressure at all? Possibly causing the sub to flex? It doesn't sound like an audio noise to me... more of a physical one. Could it be the open air sub system allows the atmosphere changes in the cabin to distort the cone slightly making it "pop"?

To add to the list of clues: For me it exclusively happens when I open the door. It feels like it happens more often when unlocking and opening the door shortly after. Think unlocking next to the door snd opening vs unlocking while 10min away and then getting in.

(Maybe while the fan is still drawing initial/starting current?)

I welcome the call out! I had simply assumed that's what it had to be... having narrowed it down to the stock sub, do we think that "popping" sound had to do with the air pressure at all? Possibly causing the sub to flex? It doesn't sound like an audio noise to me... more of a physical one. Could it be the open air sub system allows the atmosphere changes in the cabin to distort the cone slightly making it "pop"?

This is NOT official, but an educated explanation: -

As the dashboard and info screen come alive the slip second you open the door, it's being discussed as this is the cause. - the system booting up if you will. This also makes sense as both audio amplifiers always have a 12V feed, they do not "go-to-sleep" as they do with other manufactures, which means the boot-up noise is being amplified.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back