Production line pictures

A lot have Lotus NYO badges or "China" tags - guess which cars are getting priority?
My words were not meant good to see LHD cars, just good to see the photos 🤦‍♂️

Not surprising, after all you would have expected a U.K. built car to be delivered to the U.K. first 👎

I do not like this.
First rule should be, local market first than the rest.
Lotus is a business ... while I agree the UK market should be first, I believe this has more to do with Geely ownership and wanting to pump out Eletre into the Chinese market than service UK folks their Emira's. It's the gateway car to the rest of the range and there is a 1 billion pound factory waiting for the orders to come in Wuhan.

The decisions at Hethel will prioritize profits, even if that means Asia first. This is no longer the beloved small UK manufacturer. The brand has been sold and there is a new direction they are prioritizing.

Lotus is a business ... while I agree the UK market should be first, I believe this has more to do with Geely ownership and wanting to pump out Eletre into the Chinese market than service UK folks their Emira's. It's the gateway car to the rest of the range and there is a 1 billion pound factory waiting for the orders to come in Wuhan.

The decisions at Hethel will prioritize profits, even if that means Asia first. This is no longer the beloved small UK manufacturer. The brand has been sold and there is a new direction they are prioritizing.
I agree with that. I'm fond of conjecture, probably because a career in corporate sales and marketing has led me to ponder client actions and what they might or might not do, given various alternative scenarios. Often necessary when the full picture isn't clear.

Geely bought a majority share in Lotus because they consider it a premier brand, or rather, one which could be marketed as such. Lotus may be reasonably well known in the UK but it's not in the markets Geely sees as being their most important, China, Europe, USA etc, and the Emira is important in promoting the brand in those markets for the Eletre and the subsequent EV cars to follow. All or most of those markets have LHD so at some point Geely directed Lotus to prioritise LHD components with their suppliers. Obviously, the suppliers cannot admit to that and Lotus would never do so, hence the delays and subterfuge with the UK demonstrater and customer cars. LHD cars have already been shipped to Europe and the USA, and, the assembly line photos from yesterday show a number of cars destined for China.

Meanwhile, four of the RHD cars produced were for the driver academy, which pays for itself through the charges levied. Presumably the UK people were considered content to pay a not insignificant sum for an early test drive. The UK dealers, who have invested considerable sums to be authorised Lotus dealers, are starved of information because of the new direct sales channel, probably deliberately, as are the 2000 plus UK depositers, because they are not considered important in the Geely strategy. The dealers don't know for sure when they'll receive their demonstrater cars, nor do the UK depositers who've already checked out know when they'll receive their cars. The rest of us don't even know when we'll check out.

Geely probably intervened after the Emira launch when they observed the initial reactions from the early depositers and recognised the potential, leaving Lotus to manage the UK situation, which they've done by hardly communicating directly and withholding information from LCC. Geoff Dowding's Friday email committed to nothing more than further communication soon, which, as we've already observed, despite promises, hasn't been happening for most of this year.

Citing parts shortages, but mainly for RHD cars because that's how the ordering was done, would seem to confirm my conjecture and it does fit the current situation.

I think this week we’re seeing further clear messages about the priorities for Lotus.

A £2m EV limited edition hypercar trumpeted all over social media for their 8 elite customers, while the public are excluded from the historic Type 72 F1 reunion.

And UK Emira deposit holders fobbed off with another “sorry about the delays” email, while pictures are released of a busy factory producing cars for Europe and China.

Truly, New Lotus has shown it’s true colours yesterday.

I think this week we’re seeing further clear messages about the priorities for Lotus.

A £2m EV limited edition hypercar trumpeted all over social media for their 8 elite customers, while the public are excluded from the historic Type 72 F1 reunion.

And UK Emira deposit holders fobbed off with another “sorry about the delays” email, while pictures are released of a busy factory producing cars for Europe and China.

Truly, New Lotus has shown it’s true colours yesterday.
But on the bright side Harry’s getting his car soon 😉

I only see diamond cut wheels whatever that means,

I agree with that. I'm fond of conjecture, probably because a career in corporate sales and marketing has led me to ponder client actions and what they might or might not do, given various alternative scenarios. Often necessary when the full picture isn't clear.

Geely bought a majority share in Lotus because they consider it a premier brand, or rather, one which could be marketed as such. Lotus may be reasonably well known in the UK but it's not in the markets Geely sees as being their most important, China, Europe, USA etc, and the Emira is important in promoting the brand in those markets for the Eletre and the subsequent EV cars to follow. All or most of those markets have LHD so at some point Geely directed Lotus to prioritise LHD components with their suppliers. Obviously, the suppliers cannot admit to that and Lotus would never do so, hence the delays and subterfuge with the UK demonstrater and customer cars. LHD cars have already been shipped to Europe and the USA, and, the assembly line photos from yesterday show a number of cars destined for China.

Meanwhile, four of the RHD cars produced were for the driver academy, which pays for itself through the charges levied. Presumably the UK people were considered content to pay a not insignificant sum for an early test drive. The UK dealers, who have invested considerable sums to be authorised Lotus dealers, are starved of information because of the new direct sales channel, probably deliberately, as are the 2000 plus UK depositers, because they are not considered important in the Geely strategy. The dealers don't know for sure when they'll receive their demonstrater cars, nor do the UK depositers who've already checked out know when they'll receive their cars. The rest of us don't even know when we'll check out.

Geely probably intervened after the Emira launch when they observed the initial reactions from the early depositers and recognised the potential, leaving Lotus to manage the UK situation, which they've done by hardly communicating directly and withholding information from LCC. Geoff Dowding's Friday email committed to nothing more than further communication soon, which, as we've already observed, despite promises, hasn't been happening for most of this year.

Citing parts shortages, but mainly for RHD cars because that's how the ordering was done, would seem to confirm my conjecture and it does fit the current situation.
I agree, there is also one more caveat... Dealers in EU/USA/Asia pay up front for the Emira's. This is irregardless if the customer keeps the car or not. (or parts need to be shipped etc.) Every Emira delivered is a guaranteed paid and no after care is required from Lotus' behalf.

With the new UK direct sales, they would have to deal with many more issues. Which in turn would be more costly. This coupled with Geely's ambitions I am sure led to the UK customer being overlooked a little. It really is a shame, but I suppose this is what happens when foreign ownership takes over and there are no local suitors. I'm sure it's happened to many a company besides Lotus.

In any business, it’s ultimately the parent company that calls the shots.
Small company rule is first local market than the world.

But here I guess you are correct. This is not a small company anymore.

In the photo of the seats, it says Emira on them instead of Lotus. What the....

Attachments

• TLF_Emira_Production_Line-7.jpg.59a1a0353b54cb6bcddcf3663d32b146.jpg
    TLF_Emira_Production_Line-7.jpg.59a1a0353b54cb6bcddcf3663d32b146.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 94
Specifically, China seats because they can’t use the Lotus brand there. Rest of Asia is Lotus. The EMIRA on the seats would have been nice to have globally.

Makes sense I have never believed for one minute that they had a shortage of RHS parts but had LHS parts there wa always more to it than that - on the forum and elsewhere certainly felt most customers believed this ……

Specifically, China seats because they can’t use the Lotus brand there. Rest of Asia is Lotus. The EMIRA on the seats would have been nice to have globally.
Reading these posts is worrying about UK aftersales service, Lotus has never been very good for this and it looks like it will be even worse for us UK owners!!

Lots of cars on the line in build but no sign of people building then.
Were these taken out side of normal shift hours?

Lots of cars on the line in build but no sign of people building then.
Were these taken out side of normal shift hours?
Good observation. There are about 3 people in the photos which is a clue why output is just a trickle. They have to cover a lot of ground to build just one car……we can expect production to accelerate when the workforce is doubled to 6!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back