Radford Pikes Peak

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Radford Type 62 Pikes Peak Special is looking rather good in shakedown testing. The Jubu Performance team are posting regular updates too. Racing starts on 20 June.

Looks lovely in black and gold

A9AB9B13-4AED-4694-802E-1DD09AFD7331.jpeg

Looks like a GREAT car, but it is pretty much a loosely look-alike that has little to do with the original car, it seems. I Googled and found that the race is going to take place on June 25, 2023 - so there is a reason why we are not seeing results yet. Will be great if a "Lotus related" car won this famous race.

Last edited:
Looks like a GREAT car, but it is pretty much a loosely look-alike that has little to do with the original car, it seems. I Googled and found that the race is going to take place on June 25, 2023 - so there is a reason why we are not seeing results yet. Will be great if a "Lotus related" car won this famous race.
They only get 3-4 days of practice and each one of those days is only on a specific part of the course. They don't get to race the full course until race day, but you can see how the cars are performing during the practice sessions under the Race Week > Practice Times dropdown on the PPIHC website. The full race will be broadcast on Sunday the 25th.

They only get 3-4 days of practice and each one of those days is only on a specific part of the course. They don't get to race the full course until race day, but you can see how the cars are performing during the practice sessions under the Race Week > Practice Times dropdown on the PPIHC website. The full race will be broadcast on Sunday the 25th.
Thank you very much, Dragoon❣️

I really appreciate and will try to watch here from Tokyo, Japan where I reside.

Thank you very much, Dragoon❣️

I really appreciate and will try to watch here from Tokyo, Japan where I reside.
Happy to help! It's a pretty thrilling race so I hope you get to listen/watch it.

The Radford Type 62 driven by Tanner Foust qualified top in the Exhibition division, ahead of a Tesla Model S Plaid. Also fascinating to see course record holder Romain Dumas taking the frankly bonkers electric Ford Supervan 4 up the course.

British driver Robin Shute, three times winner and current King of the Mountain, is on pole in the Wolf TSC. He is 15 seconds faster than any other driver.

Race day is tomorrow (Sunday 25th) and you can watch here:

Here's Robin's qualifying run:

The Radford Type 62 driven by Tanner Foust qualified top in the Exhibition division, ahead of a Tesla Model S Plaid. Also fascinating to see course record holder Romain Dumas taking the frankly bonkers electric Ford Supervan 4 up the course.

British driver Robin Shute, three times winner and current King of the Mountain, is on pole in the Wolf TSC. He is 15 seconds faster than any other driver.

Should be noted Robin is ex-Lotus Engineering and son of Tony Shute (was the Project Manager for Project 111, Elise).

That's the way to do it! Did you notice any decrease in performance as you climbed the mountain?

A ton. In me and the car lol. I got super lightheaded, car was way down on power and I had to pull over twice to keep the temps down (but that Elise has a known fan issue, it has aftermarket fans mounted on top of stock fans that don’t work, reducing their effect).

Race day is tomorrow (Sunday 25th) and you can watch here:

Here's Robin's qualifying run:

Btw here’s polesitter Robin Shute’s thoughts on the Emira!

A ton. In me and the car lol. I got super lightheaded, car was way down on power and I had to pull over twice to keep the temps down (but that Elise has a known fan issue, it has aftermarket fans mounted on top of stock fans that don’t work, reducing their effect).
How about riding the brakes on the way back down, and over heating? More perilous than anyone imagines. There are no guardrails anywhere, I recall.

Yeah, machines and people have a hard time performing at those extreme elevations! I ended up having a massive radiator, oversized intercooler, fuel cooler, and an oil cooler to help keep everything from overheating. Not to mention lots of ducts and vents to move as much as possible. Since the air is so thin it doesn't cool anywhere near as it does at lower elevations and the severe incline puts a massive continuous load and heat soaks everything.

How about riding the brakes on the way back down, and over heating? More perilous than anyone imagines. There are no guardrails anywhere, I recall.
There's a brake check station about halfway down that actually checks your brakes and reminds those who don't know how to hold a lower gear how to drive down the rest of the way.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back