Registering your Emira (Alberta Canada experience)

netsinah

Emira owner.
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I made the mistake of registering my new Emira today, rather than accepting the dealer's offer to do it for me.

I fully paid for it, in advance, so thought I'd register it before picking it up tomorrow at the dealership, located 3 hours away. I've registered many vehicles before...so thought "why not?". The dealer emailed me the Bill of Sale and NVIS (New Vehicle Information Statement), both required docs along with proof of insurance.

With those in hand, along with personal ID (driver's licence) and some cash...I visited the Registry closest to my office. The person I dealt with seemed somewhat new. She consulted with 3 others and stared at her computer screen between those shuttle visits. Finally, a senior person took over. His first question: "what are you trying to register? is it a vehicle?". I patiently explained (again) it was a Lotus, made in England and offered to show him a screenshot on my iPhone. He'd never heard of Lotus, as a car brand, then after some further discussion, he told me Lotus wasn't "on the system" so he wasn't sure how to register it. He then picked up his phone, telling me he was going to call "the owner" of the Registry franchise. At that point, I asked for all my documentation back and left, having spent ++ time there already.

Note: I live in a City of about a million people and have seen very few Lotus around, they're admittedly not as common as Ferrari's or Lamborghini's or McLaren's and even those vehicles aren't plentiful.

I then called another Registry I'd used in the past (about a 10 minute drive). Thankfully, after eventually speaking with a supervisor, he said "I know what a Lotus is...and an Emira too; nice car with the 'same' engine as my Camry". He said he'd register it, as long as I had all the necessary paperwork. As a precaution, he suggested I call Alberta Transportation, to ensure I'd comply with all document requirements ("that way, they won't deregister your vehicle, if something is missed"). Using the phone number he gave me and after listening to numerous menu options, I finally managed to get in queue to talk to a human being at Alberta Transportation. Once connected with a person, she kept asking if I wanted a safety inspection for an "out of province vehicle". I explained the Emira had already been delayed for CARB certification and it had finally passed that hurdle and others had been purchasing them in my province, so no inspection was required. She then suggested I call yet another government department and gave me a phone number to try. I then left my office and drove to the second Registry I'd spoken with.

Once there, the supervisor who knew the Emira, agreed he'd help me but not until I'd waited my turn in line. With that out of the way, he looked through my documentation and asked to see the original NVIS. I explained the only copy I had was emailed from a dealership in another City. He told me to call my dealer and ask they email or fax him a letter verifying I'd purchased the Emira from them, they'd lost the original NVIS and attach the manufacturer receipt for my Emira.

I called the dealer and was put through to the finance manager. He offered to register the car tomorrow when I came for pick-up but I told him I was too far into this "process" and would see it through. He agreed to email a letter to the second Registry with what they'd asked for, but it would take some time. I said I'd wait at the Registry and asked he call me after he'd sent the email.

He did, I caught the attention of the same supervisor...and 5 minutes later Viola!: one registered Emira. I was told it was the first one in my City...

Moral of the story: just let the dealer register your vehicle if it's a Lotus or any other vehicle brand that's not common or manufactured in great numbers. Now I know. I suspect this is a vastly different experience for most of you reading this and many of you likely avoided any problems, by having your dealer do the registration...

Back