• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Removing Emira Manual Transmission Gear Knob

netsinah

Emira owner.
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Page 47-50 of the Service Manual is a bit shy on details and although I know others have done this, I’ll set it out here for DIY’s like me who appreciate having things spelled out, no matter how obvious it may be to some:

1. Loosen the M5x16 “grub screw” that’s at the back of the knob. I used a 2.5 mm hex tip screwdriver bit, which fit well, turning it (as usual) in a counter clockwise direction. It wasn’t very tight.

2. The knob will spin around, but can’t be pulled off.

3. The unexplained trick is that the knob itself is threaded on, so you have to unscrew the knob by hand to remove it.

4. The knob is spring-loaded, so you’ll find a spring under the knob once it’s removed. The Service Manual mentions a seal as well but I didn’t encounter one, nor try to find it. I only wanted the knob off, to paint its numbers/letter.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Page 47-50 of the Service Manual is a bit shy on details and although I know others have done this, I’ll set it out here for DIY’s like me who appreciate having things spelled out, no matter how obvious it may be to some:

1. Loosen the M5x16 “grub screw” that’s at the back of the knob. I used a T20 which fit well, turning it (as usual) in a counter clockwise direction. It wasn’t very tight.

2. The knob will spin around, but can’t be pulled off.

3. The unexplained trick is that the knob itself is threaded on, so you have to unscrew the knob by hand to remove it.

4. The knob is spring-loaded, so you’ll find a spring under the knob once it’s removed. The Service Manual mentions a seal as well but I didn’t encounter one, nor try to find it. I only wanted the knob off, to paint its numbers/letter.

Hope this helps someone.

There’s an o-ring that should sit inside the shift knob, maybe yours fell out while removing the knob or it’s still inside.

There’s an o-ring that should sit inside the shift knob, maybe yours fell out while removing the knob or it’s still inside.
Still inside. Saw it after my post and when starting my artistic endeavours.