• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Requesting Help from Members

Emira8206

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hello members
I would like some help from California members who already have the CA plate. Please share a snapshot of the door label with the VIN. Please DM me individually for privacy.
Currently, I have trouble titling my Emira. DMV verified the VIN and noted that the "Federal label is being tampered". I just want to compare to see if only my Emira or other cars are the same. Notice the attached label. the border line seem trimmed unevenly.
Appreciate your help. Thanks
Emira Door Label Issue.jpg

Maybe you can get a statement from the dealer verifying that the label is exactly how it came from the factory? They should have other cars there that they can use to show this is the way they are?

I am not in California, but my sticker has a black border all the way around it - and looks like it is cut very evenly. Mine is dated January 2024. I would think the VIN matching the car's VIN is the only key item on it - does it match the VIN on the base of the windshield?

The VIN match. My guess is because the line is not shown evenly. I informed the dealer but... Stress level is high. I really cannot understand why this dragged on longer than 2 plus months. I would never thought buying a new car would be such a pain.

The VIN match. My guess is because the line is not shown evenly. I informed the dealer but... Stress level is high. I really cannot understand why this dragged on longer than 2 plus months. I would never thought buying a new car would be such a pain.
Not sure if this helps, but here is mine from CA with plates.

Attachments

• IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 65
Dang, that sucks that the VIN sticker was trimmed poorly on your car, leading to this debacle.

Is the dealer willing to help you resolve this with DMV? Or are you on your own fighting against them yourself?

Hello members
I would like some help from California members who already have the CA plate. Please share a snapshot of the door label with the VIN. Please DM me individually for privacy.
Currently, I have trouble titling my Emira. DMV verified the VIN and noted that the "Federal label is being tampered". I just want to compare to see if only my Emira or other cars are the same. Notice the attached label. the border line seem trimmed unevenly.
Appreciate your help. ThanksView attachment 49401
It may be different in California, but does the DMV inspect your car before titling it? In NJ, as long as you have the paperwork, it’s good to go.

When you go to inspect it, they’ll check emissions etc but it fails it only fails inspection, not titling.

If the DMV office is giving you a problem, maybe try a different one.

Contact the dealer and state you will be returning the car if they cannot produce a new label. They sold you a useless car due to this. Contact the State A/G and your Senators to put pressure.

It may be different in California, but does the DMV inspect your car before titling it? In NJ, as long as you have the paperwork, it’s good to go.

When you go to inspect it, they’ll check emissions etc but it fails it only fails inspection, not titling.

If the DMV office is giving you a problem, maybe try a different one.
Not usually for new cars, you know us poor folks here, it's make sure your not a gross polluter and show us the money for registration. Back in the day before CARB and vehicles needing to pass all state emissions, they might come out and check your car (if not bought in CA) like they knew what they were doing, but all they wanted was the money.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions!!

@morphious Your sticker looks perfectly fine. Appreciated for sharing. I felt like I was being pressured by the dealer :( if I don't comply.​

I’m surprised they are stickers and not an actual plate fixed on. Does the writing wear away after years?

The sticker is plastic-coded. It should be fine. Just in a way how the manufacturer trimmed the sticker. Making it look so cheap for a 100k car. I wonder how this was approved before releasing the car to a customer.

The sticker is plastic-coded. It should be fine. Just in a way how the manufacturer trimmed the sticker. Making it look so cheap for a 100k car. I wonder how this was approved before releasing the car to a customer.
I’m confused as to how the dealer didn’t just submit the paperwork on your behalf when you bought the car. The title, if you paid outright, would come in the mail. If not the registration is completed in the finance office and the temp tags placed on the car. The plates usually come in the mail several weeks later. I’m in Texas but can’t see how it’s different. Echoing other comments you should make this the dealership’s problem.

However, if you bought out of state and want to title in California then, yea can be problems. Same as if you buy a used Evora in one state and try to bring it to TX. It’s a total pain.

I’m confused as to how the dealer didn’t just submit the paperwork on your behalf when you bought the car. The title, if you paid outright, would come in the mail. If not the registration is completed in the finance office and the temp tags placed on the car. The plates usually come in the mail several weeks later. I’m in Texas but can’t see how it’s different. Echoing other comments you should make this the dealership’s problem.

However, if you bought out of state and want to title in California then, yea can be problems. Same as if you buy a used Evora in one state and try to bring it to TX. It’s a total pain.
This is how it works in California and the exactly the
process my dealer followed

If buying from a private individual. Yes, I agree and it should be a simple process just by walking in AAA with a pink slip. We brought new cars from dealers from various states to California. Dealers did everything without any issues. By law, all car dealers must collect taxes on behalf of those states. Again, very much appreciate all your feedback (y)