• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Road tax

Dragging up an old thread but saves starting a new one.
I've just had my first year's tax reminder from DVLA, I was expecting £600 per annum for the first 5 years however they are only asking for £190 for the year, is this correct or have they made a mistake?

I'm just thankful we haven't got an eye-watering Luxury Car Tax like some countries. The emissions-based taxes in places like France make the V6 virtually uneconomic. They aren't even selling the V6 in China.
Yes our Luxury Tax just came into effect.. After my deposit years ago. Sucks... I think it adds another 5k.

I've just had my first year's tax reminder from DVLA, I was expecting £600 per annum for the first 5 years however they are only asking for £190 for the year, is this correct or have they made a mistake?
Sounds like a mistake to me....... Years 2 to 6 should definitely be £600pa (at current rate....)

I paid £570 for a year this April for my Emira FE V6 Auto 23 plate

As JimH says, that does seem like a mistake. Check your V5C, there should be something equivalent to the following statement on it.
20240606_160729.JPG

Equally if you do a DVLA vehicle check there should be a line at the bottom saying when the additional rate is applicable until.
1717687119185.png

If the additional rate isn't noted against the vehicle then for some reason it hasn't been applied. I'm not sure what the best thing to do at this point would be for you though, you might get away with it, but if the mistake gets spotted officially there may be a chance of the DVLA looking to claw back any "missed payments" in the future.

As JimH says, that does seem like a mistake. Check your V5C, there should be something equivalent to the following statement on it.
View attachment 45264
Equally if you do a DVLA vehicle check there should be a line at the bottom saying when the additional rate is applicable until.
View attachment 45266
If the additional rate isn't noted against the vehicle then for some reason it hasn't been applied. I'm not sure what the best thing to do at this point would be for you though, you might get away with it, but if the mistake gets spotted officially there may be a chance of the DVLA looking to claw back any "missed payments" in the future.
A couple of others have come forward saying theirs is £190 too, very strange. Don't know whether to just try and pay for it as it is or spend hours on the phone trying to get them to charge me more! Tough decision!
I've just checked and there's no line at the bottom saying anything about additional tax.