• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Shift Knob Replacement

Is the shifter and linkage below it all aluminum?

Four prototypes made out of walnut.
The 2 inch diameter (middle two) felt best to me.
A 7/8 inch drill bit for the spring area works fine (about 9/16 deep.
I then used a 3/4 inch drill bit about 1/2 inch further and then pressed in a M12x1.5 nut in.
I will glue or epoxy the nuts in when I go final.
I installed all for a test fit - they all worked fine (were not any higher then the OEM - except the diameter of the knob).
My 17 year old son liked the look and feel of the middle two best - I agreed.
They allow you to shift with the palm of you hand, not just your fingers,
They do feel lighter then the metal OEM.
Once I finish them - I will post some pics installed.

Attachments

• tempImageCRucTF.png
    tempImageCRucTF.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
My first attempts, I am sure most people like OEM better. Not my best work, but not too bad for first attempt, I am just looking for something a bit larger that fits in my hand better. The light colored is cypress the rest are walnut, I included a pic of OEM for scale, they are larger - but not that much more (OEM is 1.75 inch diameter, the ones I made range from 1.8 inch to 2.25 inch diameters). Now I just need to get some driving in with them all to see which feels best.
tempImagehqHUfM.png

Attachments

• tempImagetQXuHJ.png
    tempImagetQXuHJ.png
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • tempImageu9Mb5X.png
    tempImageu9Mb5X.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • tempImagetUVqvI.png
    tempImagetUVqvI.png
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I think walnut would look nice once finished! Wonder what the interior would look like if all the piano black trim were to be replaced with walnut...

My first attempts, I am sure most people like OEM better. Not my best work, but not too bad for first attempt, I am just looking for something a bit larger that fits in my hand better. The light colored is cypress the rest are walnut, I included a pic of OEM for scale, they are larger - but not that much more (OEM is 1.75 inch diameter, the ones I made range from 1.8 inch to 2.25 inch diameters). Now I just need to get some driving in with them all to see which feels best.View attachment 46229

Can you make something like this but with the shift pattern or lotus logo?
1718895109532.png

Thanks, I left them matte finished (for now) - I wanted to see how it all looks and feels first.
I agree, replacing the piano black trim with walnut would provide a much richer looking interior, especially in a tan interior.
I have seen people insert a Lotus logo on top, that Jaguar on his very nice, I am guessing it is laser etched or decal type item applied underneath the finish.

My first attempts, I am sure most people like OEM better. Not my best work, but not too bad for first attempt, I am just looking for something a bit larger that fits in my hand better. The light colored is cypress the rest are walnut, I included a pic of OEM for scale, they are larger - but not that much more (OEM is 1.75 inch diameter, the ones I made range from 1.8 inch to 2.25 inch diameters). Now I just need to get some driving in with them all to see which feels best.View attachment 46229

I didn't know they had an Emira in Minecraft.

Going spherical as a final step? Drill press is the poor man's lathe!

Now that's yer basic, gnarly Flintstone shift knob if ever I've seen one!

Wow, kudos to you for trying something different!! These photos tickle my brain. 😄

Raceseng is currently 25% off site wide for those wanting a different shift knob or other accessories. They have titanium lug nuts/extenders, lug bolts, tow hooks, etc.

Discount code is on the website.

Raceseng is currently 25% off site wide for those wanting a different shift knob or other accessories. They have titanium lug nuts/extenders, lug bolts, tow hooks, etc.

Discount code is on the website.

Searched on their website but could find anything for the Emira and everything is sold out for the Evora..

Searched on their website but could find anything for the Emira and everything is sold out for the Evora..
They have stuff for the Evora. Just maybe not stuff you'd like.