Software update failure

Honestly I don't understand how an ECU/software update would magically fix the wiper issue. Isn't it just a switch controlled via the stalk that talks to the wiper motor? That's got nothing to do with software that can be updated. Unless the issue is related to the rain sensor and that needs calibration somehow. Is that all synced via Android Automotive? Either way, I hope it gets fixed soon because it seems to be an issue for most of these early deliveries.
I think pretty much everything on a car will involve software of some description between the control and the device being controlled these days. In this case the issue with the wipers is that regardless of the mode selected you can't get them sweeping across the windscreen fast enough to clear heavy rain, or even moderate rain at non urban speeds. It has been suggested that this is because they are stuck in auto mode which may or may not be the case. The only way I have managed to get them working when this happens is to do a full turn off/reset of the car, putting the wipers in normal or fast mode before I turn it back on.

Last edited:
The wiper issue seems to be related to auto-sensing. After some unspecified time in auto-sensing mode it it unable to be switched manually to the fastest setting. An ignition off/on resets it. Somewhere there is a piece of software between the switch and the wipers that's got confused.

The wiper issue seems to be related to auto-sensing. After some unspecified time in auto-sensing mode it it unable to be switched manually to the fastest setting. An ignition off/on resets it. Somewhere there is a piece of software between the switch and the wipers that's got confused.
Bit surprised that in heavy rain the auto sensors don’t just put it into fastest speed. Maybe the sensor is not appropriately calibrated. Otherwise what’s the point of having auto sensing?

This issue really is something all people receiving their cars direct or from dealers should be asking about, especially if their dealer is a long way away... has my car had the latest software update? In some cases, I am afraid, EU I am thinking..... the dealer wont be given the info as the person responsible to the EU dealers is very none responsive and this would be a big worry to me and another internal Lotus issue I hope they solve asap.
Although you would hope with OBE conobe readers, they would be able to see the current software themselves, if they knew which version is which...... WHICH...you'd hope they did.

I used to work in a military aircraft environment and a mate of mine was a software engineer in mission critical software. He'd been to a seminar / conference that dealt with software safety standards. It's safe to say that cars have a long way to go before they are as safe as aircraft. Judging by what he told me / what I know, I wouldn't want any car with OTA capability. Cars are marginally safer than unmanned underwater vehicles though ...

My car was in during January to apply the software update as my Engine Management / Emissions light has been illuminated permanently since taking delivery mid December. Unfortunately it came back on within about 30 minutes. It is going in again in the coming days to hopefully fix it for good.

My car was in during January to apply the software update as my Engine Management / Emissions light has been illuminated permanently since taking delivery mid December. Unfortunately it came back on within about 30 minutes. It is going in again in the coming days to hopefully fix it for good.
Let them check the exhaust "flap". Mine was stuck initially after the first 800km or something. Freed itself and clearing the code was enough. Maybe yours isn't so lucky and actually stuck.

Let them check the exhaust "flap". Mine was stuck initially after the first 800km or something. Freed itself and clearing the code was enough. Maybe yours isn't so lucky and actually stuck.
I can certainly mention it.

I dont think it is as I very much enjoy the exhaust sound track when I put it into Track mode and the difference is notable so the flap is clearly functioning. I always drive in Track now. I used to drive in Sport but realised I dont need the safety elements when I am only driving around town and not likely to exceed 30mph!!

Thats not to say it hasn't got stuck at some point though, has released and the code isn't able to reset itself.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back