• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Software versions and updates

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Seems impossible but my Emira with auto gearbox is finally arrived! Next week I'll go to the dealer to finalise everything in order to let him start the registration process.

Since, thanks to this forum, I've heard there are some glitches that a software update might solve I was wondering if anyone know how and where I might check the software version of the various items in the car (Sat nav, Eco, Gearbox, wipers, etc...who knows!) and if anyone knows the latest.

In my opinion a sort of "repository" with these information might be useful, not only for me, but moreover for all the forum members and it might came in handy when addressing issues so I'm taking this opportunity to start the thread and try to sum up all the software information the forum has!

Last edited:

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Seems impossible but my Emira with auto gearbox is finally arrived! Next week I'll go to the dealer to finalise everything in order to let him start the registration process.

Since, thanks to this forum, I've heard there are some glitches that a software update might solve I was wondering if anyone know how and where I might check the software version of the various items in the car (Sat nav, Eco, Gearbox, wipers, etc...who knows!) and if anyone knows the latest.

In my opinion a sort of "repository" with these information might be useful, not only for me, but moreover for all the forum members and it might came in handy when addressing issues so I'm taking this opportunity to start the thread and try tu sum up all the software information the forum has!
I don’t think an owner can check. The dealer has plug in to the car. I have check all the car menus and nothing about software.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There were major software updates required for cars made in 2022 that take about 2-3 hours to install. For cars made from approx mid-January onward, the latest updates take about 10-15mins to install via a laptop.

I'm not aware of any release notes / version information that is available to the public. My only advice is to get all the latest updates applied when you're at the dealer.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't think the software versions are user-accessible. An owner might be able to check the infotainment version somewhere in the menus, but not the ECU software.

If someone has an OBD2 reader they may be able to get at some ECU software version info.

In theory Lotus will publish information on Service Bulletins, Recalls and Software Updates on VSIC, but I don't see any Emira info published yet and we know there have been soom SBs already.

OP
A

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't think the software versions are user-accessible. An owner might be able to check the infotainment version somewhere in the menus, but not the ECU software.

If someone has an OBD2 reader they may be able to get at some ECU software version info.

In theory Lotus will publish information on Service Bulletins, Recalls and Software Updates on VSIC, but I don't see any Emira info published yet and we know there have been soom SBs already.
That could be a very good idea! Do you know any compatible ECU reader/App from which you could also have access to those choices accessible only via ecu readers?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You can access a lot of the system info using any OBD2 dongle and one of the free reader apps for your mobile or tablet.

Getting inside the ECU software won’t be possible, as it’s encrypted.

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How is the customer informed about new software updates? Normally, the dealer would have to proactively write to all customers. I can hardly imagine that this will not be done...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They will be done at your next scheduled dealer visit, usually annual service.

Unless they are safety-related, in which case they will send a recall letter to the owners of affected cars.

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. But what if a softwareupdate may needed (like in other posts: cold start stalling or whatever) and not safety related?
May it make sense to have the newest version installed to fix or optimize issues?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Neither Lotus nor the dealer are going to proactively contact you about a non-critical update. But if you’ve got an issue with your car you should be speaking to your dealer about the issue. if they think a software update will fix it, then they’ll ask you to take the car in and will do the update.

They won’t do updates to all customer cars, as it isn’t possible over the air. It needs a dealer visit and time from a technician to install it.

If you don’t have any issues but just want the comfort of knowing you have the latest version, you can book it in with the dealer.

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Neither Lotus nor the dealer are going to proactively contact you about a non-critical update. But if you’ve got an issue with your car you should be speaking to your dealer about the issue. if they think a software update will fix it, then they’ll ask you to take the car in and will do the update...............................

It maybe different in the UK or EU, yet in the US, Volvo (another Geely Auto Manufacturer) does notify you of available software updates and posts the information about each version on their website.

It would be nice if Lotus followed and did the same...... especially in the beginning when software changes may come at an increased rate.