• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Strange issue, auto parking brake doesn't release, reverse doesn't change mirrors down

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So interesting issue I had today after I washed my car (must be the culprit!) - the automatic parking brake doesn't auto-release. When I shift into reverse I thought I lost the camera, but apparently the 'view' changed so I hit a button and got it back... and the side view mirror which usually rolls down on reverse no longer rolls down.

I have a '24 US Spec Emira, and I saw that some folks got this issue as well before, but wanted to know if it's still common or if there's a fix?

Thank you! :)

Just check that the settings haven't magically changed for both of these in the Centre Display Screen.

I've turned off my mirror tilting when reverse is selected as it never went to a position that I wanted, just as easy for me to manually adjust it when I reverse.

On my new i4 handbrake does not aoutomatically come off in reverse or forward. Should it? Auto handbrake is set to on

Like other commenters suggest check the settings to see if for some reason they reverted back to factory settings. Mine randomly went back to bar (instead of PSI) for the tire pressure lol.

On my new i4 handbrake does not aoutomatically come off in reverse or forward. Should it? Auto handbrake is set to on
Yes it should.
The PDF handbook settings in Centre Display Screen show:
General> Electric parking brake: Automatic activation/deactivation.
You could try toggling it off then see what happens and then toggle it back on.
On my V6 Manual it works as it should i.e. the handbrake comes on automatically when you turn off the engine.
It also disengages the handbrake when you pull away but there is some resistance at first.
I tend to like to manually disengage it when I'm about to pull away.
Obviously your i4 auto is different but I would hope it would work the same.

Thanks. It actually puts a message on the main screen saying disengage handbrake before moving on. I’ll check the settings again

Thanks. It actually puts a message on the main screen saying disengage handbrake before moving on. I’ll check the settings again
Ok, seeing as my experience is with the V6 manual we really need someone else with an i4 auto to confirm this.

Ok, seeing as my experience is with the V6 manual we really need someone else with an i4 auto to confirm this.
I don't have it set to auto on my i4, but I do know that if I put it on manually and then drive off, the car releases the brakes automatically.

I don't have it set to auto on my i4, but I do know that if I put it on manually and then drive off, the car releases the brakes automatically.
Thanks. So just to clarify, if you start the car and the handbrake is on you can drive off (forward or reverse) without having to push the handbrake forward?

Thanks. So just to clarify, if you start the car and the handbrake is on you can drive off (forward or reverse) without having to push the handbrake forward?
Not sure on reverse, but yes, that's how it operates going forward. It just drops off as you start to move.

The options were set properly, just didn't work. However I just did a "reset all car settings" thing and now it's back to working. Just some infotainment fun :)

Thanks all.