• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Surely alcantara is a no brainer?

Wow, fascinating that all the Alcantara from a $6000 Chinese car to Porsche $200,000 is the exact same stuff coming from one factory! I’ve never had it - always buy leather interiors the last 25+ years, but after seeing that definitely wouldn’t order it.
This is not true to be fair. Alcantara is a brand name, not a material. Of course there are a lot of similar products, but there also are big differences in quality. The original Alcantara is very expense, so they don‘t make a lot more money if they sell it for the same price as the leather option. Even Mercedes doesn‘t use the original Alcantara, but cheaper alternatives.

Could be. Or perhaps they mean pleather or cloth? I guess we will find out. Seems like they would be bucking tradition of offering alcantara as an upgrade if they made it base spec, but given the video above it could very well be. There are other form factors for leather interiors such as a 1mm ‘ish thick slice affixed to a cloth backing. Cheaper for manufacturers but still credibly described as leather interior. Different than Napa leather which is an actual hide trimmed from the bottom to achieve a consistent thickness. Leather tanning is really a fascinating process. So to, I bet, is alcantara production, but for different reasons.

Why would you feel self conscious about wearing driving gloves? I wear them routinely to protect leather touch points in my cars. I keep black, tan and red gloves around that match the interiors of my cars.
It just seems strange to me to wear gloves to protect the interior of the car. That's so the next owner can have an immaculate interior? I've had leather steering wheels in 12 year old daily drivers that look great, so I don't see that leather needs protecting. Besides, leather in cars these days has a coating to protect it, it isn't raw leather like in the old British stuff. Alcantara on a steering wheel? Yes, looks like crap after a couple years. To me, wearing gloves to protect the interior is like covering furniture in plastic.

Each to his/her own, but I don't like the look of an Alcantara wheel with even a bit of wear on it.

It just seems strange to me to wear gloves to protect the interior of the car. That's so the next owner can have an immaculate interior? I've had leather steering wheels in 12 year old daily drivers that look great, so I don't see that leather needs protecting. Besides, leather in cars these days has a coating to protect it, it isn't raw leather like in the old British stuff. Alcantara on a steering wheel? Yes, looks like crap after a couple years. To me, wearing gloves to protect the interior is like covering furniture in plastic.

Each to his/her own, but I don't like the look of an Alcantara wheel with even a bit of wear on it.
Agree on alcantara. My experience with leather wheels has not been quite as successful. I’ve recovered two steering wheels (both red) in old bertones, one in an Acura (beige) and one in an older Subaru Forester (also beige). The Subaru I didn’t car so much about, and honestly I think I’d feel pretty silly wearing gloves in a Forester 😜. The best wearing wheel I’ve had so far is in a 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder. It still looks absolutely flawless after 16 years. It’s amazing. For cars I care about, I will use gloves so I maintain their originality. I’ll admit I don’t wear them all the time. But wearing them, keeping the leather free of grime and organic acids from our hands and using sun shields, I think, helps to protect the leather generally, even the plasticized variety, and steering wheels in particular, which take a lot if abuse. Like you, I do appreciate the feel of sumptuous real leather. It’s like shaking hand with the car.

I personally love Alcantara ever since my '04 STI. It holds up great (on seats.. steering wheels need more care) and adds a nice touch of class when it's on the headliner and pillars, etc (just like the other "soft touch" surfaces manufacturers do these days). I've never had any issues with cleaning or wear on mine. I do tend to keep my vehicles extremely clean though.

Another reason I prefer Alcantara is that the seats don't get super hot or cold like leather does. Sure, we have seat heaters/coolers now, but that doesn't help when you're first getting into a hot car. I have leather seats in my GTI that I track and, while they are comfortable enough, I slide all around the place during those high G turns!

And lastly, I just think it looks better. Those plain leather seats in the Emira look terrible IMO. The Alcantara gives it some contrast between the seating and bolster materials. Just my opinion though.

DSC01220.JPG

I’d originally planned on leather interior. I’ve had a premium leather interior in my Evora for 10 years and it still looks great and with minimal care or maintenance required. Literally wipe over with a damp cloth when I wash the exterior, no lotions or potions needed.

When I saw the blue show Emira for the second time the alcantara interior really grew on me. Half the interior is still leather, so it’s a hybrid and an interesting mix of textures. The option of contrast stitching looks really smart. I did some research and alcantara seemed slightly higher maintenance. Lateral grip in the seat and steering feel are slightly better versus leather.

After a lot of thought I’ve gone with leather. It’s a bit more “grown up” in my opinion, for what is a GT car. Alcantara is a bit more “race car”. I realise this choice contradicts my exterior colour choice of Hethel Yellow, which is more racecar than grown up :)

From a practical standpoint, if my Emira was a daily driver I’d get leather. If it was a weekend or track toy I’d probably get alcantara. For my use either works.

Leather for me. Most non car enthusiasts think Alcantara is cheap fabric. I had Alcantara in my Nissan GTR and always felt I would prefer full leather.

Alcantara for me. I want the yellow stitch.

I’ve researched this long and hard and the consensus from long-term owners on the internet is that alcantara steering wheels aren’t worth it... they get dirty and ruined and can’t be properly cleaned or restored to their original state. When new, they are a better driving experience than leather though, IMO.
I have a black alcantara wrapped steering wheel for over 12 years over 4 different 911s. $300 get it redone every 3 years. Leather sucks.

I have Alcantara in my exige, after 15 years, its still in good condition, and I like the mix of textures that @TomE mentions. I have yellow contrast stitching in the Exige on the seats, and its looks great - so that was no brainer for me (plus it will be a weekend car)

I’ve researched this long and hard and the consensus from long-term owners on the internet is that alcantara steering wheels aren’t worth it... they get dirty and ruined and can’t be properly cleaned or restored to their original state. When new, they are a better driving experience than leather though, IMO.
Absolutely agree. I've had 2 Porsche's with alcantara wheels, and whilst they look great when new, and are also great to hold and use, they do shine up and wear quickly. I'll be going for leather on the basis that it's much harder wearing. Leather/Alcantara seats though :)

Absolutely agree. I've had 2 Porsche's with alcantara wheels, and whilst they look great when new, and are also great to hold and use, they do shine up and wear quickly. I'll be going for leather on the basis that it's much harder wearing. Leather/Alcantara seats though :)
Have you had Alcantara seats before, too? Just wondering how those would hold up in comparison to the steering wheel.