• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The 1st Edition isn't exclusive

You are right - ish - but wrong - it's pretty exclusive.

They're building around 5000(ish) Emiras per year.

So 10000 not far off the mark.

But, I've been obsessed with them since they were announced - and I've seen about 4 in the wild in all that time, in the UK, where you'd think you'd see quite a few.

I went for a factory tour in March this year, and on my 5 hour drive to get there I saw my first one on Potash Lane - leaving the factory.

So - they are rare.

In fact 0.0000068% of cars on the road are Lotus Emiras.

I'll take that. (rough estimate disclaimer™) 😁

PS - 4 weeks & counting after quite a wait... 🙏

Who knows? I think different people received different gifts at different times, some no gift at all. Mine came a lot later than other forum members.
Your Lotus order/communication/delivery experience is heavily dependent upon the dealership you go through. At least this is how it seems. Such a vast difference noticed from people on this forum.

You are right - ish - but wrong - it's pretty exclusive.

They're building around 5000(ish) Emiras per year.

So 10000 not far off the mark.

But, I've been obsessed with them since they were announced - and I've seen about 4 in the wild in all that time, in the UK, where you'd think you'd see quite a few.

I went for a factory tour in March this year, and on my 5 hour drive to get there I saw my first one on Potash Lane - leaving the factory.

So - they are rare.

In fact 0.0000068% of cars on the road are Lotus Emiras.

I'll take that. (rough estimate disclaimer™) 😁

PS - 4 weeks & counting after quite a wait... 🙏
About 5,000 a year is correct, but as you multiply years of production the total production applies worldwide.
The initial year output was paltry and subsequent year Covid-compromised.
You are still looking at 2-3,000 in NA which isn't much of anything.
Those hoping for fewer overall must remember these need dealer support, which is an investment on their part.
There are current complaints about inadequate dealer network. Dealers need cars to sell and limiting inventory isn't a smart business case.
Exclusivity is in the eye of the beholder. Compare the Emira with the Cayman and Corvette.
Enjoy your ride accordingly.

About 5,000 a year is correct, but as you multiply years of production the total production applies worldwide.
The initial year output was paltry and subsequent year Covid-compromised.
You are still looking at 2-3,000 in NA which isn't much of anything.
Those hoping for fewer overall must remember these need dealer support, which is an investment on their part.
There are current complaints about inadequate dealer network. Dealers need cars to sell and limiting inventory isn't a smart business case.
Exclusivity is in the eye of the beholder. Compare the Emira with the Cayman and Corvette.
Enjoy your ride accordingly.

I can't wait - well, I can obviously, because I have.

However - I'm not one of life's moaners - the whole experience for me has been pretty good.

I've mainly dealt directly with the factory - and I've been made to feel pretty special in the process.

When Lotus announced the Emira 1st Edition there was an implied level of exclusivity for early adopters. While Lotus never really committed to firm limited production #'s for the 1st Edition, their marketing materials implied that it would be a limited run and guarantee rarity. That certainly has not proven true.

One of the primary reasons I opted for the Emira 1st Edition in stead of my 14th Porsche, was the fact that one 911 looks like every other 911 and unless your a hard core porschefile its difficult to tell them apart. They've become so ubiquitous P-cars have lost their appeal to me.

It seems that all (or nearly all) of Emira production thus far has been "first edition" versions. That's got to be over 10000 FE cars world wide. So there's nothing exclusive about that. I'm still happy with my purchase but this bait and switch unkept promise by Lotus is just another in a very long list of poor communications and unfulfilled promises by the company.

I'm wondering if anyone else feels similarly

View attachment 49467
Interesting topic. You know when I recently sold my Alfa Romeo 4C, which was not a FE just barely, someone noted to me that looking at the production numbers through it's lifetime, the FEs were BY FAR the most numerous model/year available. For whatever reason, production dropped off precipitously in subsequent years.

I think Lotus/Geely had big hopes for Emira production, but in holding true to form, they botched so much of the production and rollout that I doubt they'll ever sell the number of cars that they'd hoped to. Plus I'm sensing a lot of pullback from EVs in general and I think that may result in stronger ICE competitors still for many years. Time will tell.

If Lotus ends up producing Emiras for 10 or 15 years with many variants like they did with the Elige and Evora...that would mean backing off their initial claims about the production life...FEs could still become special or rare among Emiras. But all that aside, ANY LOTUS is a rare and exotic bird and will attract a lot more attention than the P-cars, etc. And I do love that about it. The fact that it's an FE only matters to the handful of us who know and own them.

“No honey, that’s a Turbo S! It’s different than a regular, plebeian Turbo. Can’t you tell the difference?”
Exactly my frustration with Porsche. I feel like they change the cosmetic bits and powertrain, then refer to the new one as a revolutionary car.

that sort of "special" customer service, in large measure, has not translated to buyers on this side of the pond.
To be fair - I don't think it's the norm - as it isn't with most car companies - I've just been in communication with the 'inside' people, stumbled my way in in fact, but it's been a great experience, above and beyond what I was expecting, and everybody has been spot on to deal with.

I've bought new cars several times before, but never one that I've spec'd for myself, and generally it's been a robotic process (Germanic let's say) - but this has felt very personal, and I haven't had cause to complain.

Regarding being on the other side of the pond, then your link into Lotus can only come through your dealer, so it's up to them to give you that personal touch. Lotus are only small, and while now owned by Geely, can't instantly populate the world with support staff.

Even with large backers, transitioning from a small niche company to the world stage is no easy task.

Had my car 18 months now and in that time I have seen another Emira on the road only 4 or 5 times, far less than I would have expected given the sales figures. So, it still feels pretty exclusive to me, and judging my the amount of attention the car still gets they are clearly not a common sight for Joe Public. My guess is that the majority of Emiras are weekend toys rather than daily drivers which cuts down the number of sightings.

Had my car 18 months now and in that time I have seen another Emira on the road only 4 or 5 times, far less than I would have expected given the sales figures. So, it still feels pretty exclusive to me, and judging my the amount of attention the car still gets they are clearly not a common sight for Joe Public. My guess is that the majority of Emiras are weekend toys rather than daily drivers which cuts down the number of sightings.
Sounds very likely - mine will live under a duvet and will only get wet with soapy water (well that's the plan!).

In fact, if it's raining on collection day, I won't be going! 😂

Sounds very likely - mine will live under a duvet and will only get wet with soapy water (well that's the plan!).

In fact, if it's raining on collection day, I won't be going! 😂
I had never seen an Emira on the road until I got mine in June. Then I saw three, one parked up and the other two going in the opposite direction. I partly put it down to me just going for a drive at a good time when the weather is sunny and the other people doing the same.
I'm getting used to people taking photos of it when parked up now. A young lad positioned himself perfectly when I was at some traffic lights to video me turning right at the junction - it all seems unreal after driving normal cars for many years.
I still haven't driven it in real rain (a few drops here and there) but I know I will have to when I go on a proper long trip.

Maybe its not but today Lotus Zurich told me the v6 is over, only i4’s for the next max 2 years then the ice car is over.. a new electric 2 seat sportscar will replace the Emira. So if you have a v6 manual… know that it is the final batch currently who have received their orders. Btw the Emeya R looked amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpeg
    IMG_4879.jpeg
    622.3 KB · Views: 48
Maybe its not but today Lotus Zurich told me the v6 is over, only i4’s for the next max 2 years then the ice car is over.. a new electric 2 seat sportscar will replace the Emira. So if you have a v6 manual… know that it is the final batch currently who have received their orders. Btw the Emeya R looked amazing!
Heard similar - but they've still got at least one run of V6's to do yet - in early 2025.

That's common knowledge.

And - importantly - you can still configure a V6 on the site - so therefore you can still buy it.

When that option disappears, then that's the end of the V6 - and we always knew it was coming so we shouldn't be surprised.

Just happy that we have something special.

Back