• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

Had my test drive at Rybrook Bristol today. Nimbus with red leather on touring suspension. The test route offered wasn't that great but I managed to skip the motorway sections and take a couple of local B roads instead which improved things.

The car still looks lovely on the outside, even the dirt spatter pattern resulting from the damp and mucky roads complements the shape nicely. The interior is ok but overly minimal, particularly with the leather which made it all seem a bit clinical - note that I have spec'd alcantara as I like the tactile aspect it brings. It all seemed to be nicely put together but sits in a bit of a no mans land between the sparse but purposefulness of an Exige interior and the functional but sporty elegance of a 911 and as such seemed to lack a bit of character. I felt the seat was a bit high and felt like I was sitting on rather than in it when I first got in, but I realised now I didn't think about them again after that and I am normally a constant shuffler as I try to find the perfect position.

The car only had 100 miles on it so obviously not run in at all, although I wasn't asked to keep the revs low so put it straight to sport mode and took the opportunity to stretch it as and when the roads allowed. The engine & exhaust noise was good but a little muted, I guess it may get a bit louder as more miles are added. You can hear the supercharger doing its stuff and the burbles as you lift didn't seem overly in your face although are ever present. At low speeds a gravelly sound from the transmission dominates which I assume is the bearing noise referenced from the Evora by others which is less nice.

At low speeds it isn't too bad over your standard British B road imperfections but you do know it is a sport car. However as you gather pace things smooth out and you are mostly just aware of the undulations and broken surfaces as opposed to feeling them. The touring chassis seemed a great match for the roads I was driving on staying flat and composed where others (M, Cayman, Boxster) have struggled even in 'comfort' mode. On the damp roads the traction was impeccable and the car was willing to go where ever I pointed it. It clearly had a lot more in it than I was trying to extract. It might not the fastest thing out there but it did feel fun and alive at public road speeds which is good for the driving license.

Other things:
  • The steering wheel (leather) feels really nice in the hands when threading the car down the road but I'd rather something round when manoeuvring.
  • As noted already there is a reliance on menu diving to set or change anything and the display is very minimal. I was going to say function over form but I found I really had to look to work out how to do anything
  • The touch sensitive action of the steering wheel buttons was a bit annoying as I kept swiping by mistake, but if you can turn that off they will be fine and even if you can't I suspect you would quickly get used to them.
  • There seemed to be some wind noise coming from the rear of the drivers window when closed, I checked because I though I had left it open a crack.
  • When checking out 'that' seal I noticed the front boot seemed to misaligned, lower on one side than the other.
Gosh this just about mirrored my test drive thoughts. Particularly:
Gearbox
Wind noise
Backache
Engine (strangulation)
And your Evora ownership etc mirrored mine, so we no the foibles

Other issue was I thought centre iPad screen angle was wrong for driver. Didn’t like it.

Very interesting and needs a thoughtful consideration what previous Lotus owners are expecting. Maybe we aren’t it’s market target.

Gosh this just about mirrored my test drive thoughts. Particularly:
Gearbox
Wind noise
Backache
Engine (strangulation)
And your Evora ownership etc mirrored mine, so we no the foibles

Other issue was I thought centre iPad screen angle was wrong for driver. Didn’t like it.

Very interesting and needs a thoughtful consideration what previous Lotus owners are expecting. Maybe we aren’t it’s market target.

I overlooked the touch screen as didn’t want people to think I was a total whinger but agreed. ‘For the drivers’ it needs to be angled towards driver a touch IMHO.

And on the rest of it sad to hear I thought it was perhaps just that car. It was 100% worse than my last Evora which had a really great box and never onece had a back ache (ever after a 6 hour drive).

Ref box only possible thing it could be is the mileages as that seemed to get better with age (and it had 19k mikes when I sold it).

I would attribute that to the cables loosening up a touch. Perhaps we are back to the need to adjust cables / have replaced as in the early Evoras. The stiff reserve would suggest that one at Exeter needs an adjustment for sure.

Since when are brake pads region specific? 🤨
This is the same thing that my Lotus person told me when I asked about why the initial bite was so strong. He said it has something to do with what materials are allowed in the EU vs the USA in brake pads. I'm not 100% positive I am remembering right, but I think he said the Euro spec pads have copper in them that adds to more initial bite and it's not allowed in the US.

I called a friend after my test drive and asked him if he had ever heard of such a thing, and he had not either. So it's either a really specific lie, or something that most of us are just unaware of.

This is the same thing that my Lotus person told me when I asked about why the initial bite was so strong. He said it has something to do with what materials are allowed in the EU vs the USA in brake pads. I'm not 100% positive I am remembering right, but I think he said the Euro spec pads have copper in them that adds to more initial bite and it's not allowed in the US.

I called a friend after my test drive and asked him if he had ever heard of such a thing, and he had not either. So it's either a really specific lie, or something that most of us are just unaware of.
Great! Now we will see specific thieves in Europe stealing our brake pads for the copper 😩

Ooh, previous Lotus owner underwhelmed by Emira shocker! :)

Unless comfort is your whole thing, any Lotus will likely beat the Emira. I expect @TomE to be similarly disappointed. It isn't a Lotus. It is a fab package for those who love what it exactly offers which just happens to have a Lotus badge.

Gearbox - I thought it was excellent. So have others so perhaps it is down to the car's usage/newness and comparing it to other cars unfavourably.

Wind noise - Ha. I didn't hear anything BUT I am mostly deaf in my left ear and was enjoying myself too much to even consider something like that. Jeezuz. Who are taking out, our grans?

Backache - this will be person specific. I was in the car for 2 hours total and it was fine and I have lifelong back issues. I'd recommend that people use the electronic multiway lumbar knob to hit the right spot. This will not work or all.

Engine (strangulation) - I did hit the limiter a couple fimes. Didn;t bother me. I like changing gears and changing them sooner will become the norm.

I do find it really interesting how different a lot of us find the car, our differing expectations and mentality.
Keep them coming.

First time poster who also had test drive on Sat.

This was at Hendy Exeter.

For context had a few Lotus before recently 2018 Evora GT410 Sport, prior to that Exige 380 sport and prior to that 2010 Evora about 10 years ago.

So know my way around the V6 drive train (also had lots of other nice cars like GT4s and the like).

No doubt looked amazing in flesh, step up over Evora, also nimbus and the red leather really nice in flesh.

But we all know what it looks like.

To summarise the drive after sleeping on it …. Underwhelmed.

Drive set up seemed at step back not forwards.

Gear box was very bad, gone backwards not forward. More notchy than the last Evora and reverse was not great, took a few attempts to get in as stiff. After 12 years still having cable issues!

The Auris gear box also more chattery. Also a vibration when stationary when warm and clutch depressed.

May be just that car but really saddened as my last Evora was best of 3 of the same drive train I’ve had over last 12 years. This was step back to 2010 Evora I had and possibly the worst of the 4.

Sound also very muted. Not sure if that’s just gpf or they have also toned down. I found lack of exhaust button a step back also. Much prefer to be able to select exhaust and drive modes in isolation. I am sure it can be made to sing like the last of evoras did from factory as they sounded amazing for a v6.

Had just enough power but isn’t fast. Now to be fair I had driven down in our 750bhp M6, but I only sold my Evora earlier in year and it was def quicker (or better exhaust note made that sound quicker perhaps).

I prefer sports suspension over touring as touring wasn’t quite firm enough and I suspect would lead to front wash out when pushed. That said I am more a B road blast than a cruise and I also lean to firmly sprung cars, happy to compromise so fidgeting at times.

Seats look great, the interior is next level for a lotus and it’s a lovely shade of red, very classy.

But sadly doesn’t matter how nice they look I didn’t find them that comfy., I rarely get bad back but lower back ached after 40 mins. Thought it may be the 40 min drive down and then test drive that did it. But hopping back in M6 and doing 1 hour drive and ache went away. Hopefully it was just me needing to adjust lumbar on it better or angle.

Build quality also doesn’t seem they have stepped up all that much. Rear hatch opended and got water in luggage area.

We’re also quite a few rattles. One from driver door, one from behind seat and one from console, which after a bit of playing worked out was the start button cover. That is just tacky I am sad to say, feels cheap and an see it’s getting quite annoying

I allegedly have UK customer car 243 which is coming in Feb (Jan build).

I was much lower in queue but took a cancelled order to move up. Had to sacrifice caliper colour and tyres.

On fence now I’ve driven it, leaning towards cancelling. As exterior looks def lovely, interior very nice but the drive seemed a step back.

I will arrange another drive and better adjust seats before confirming 100% and try a different car as perhaps that one has some issues.

Wish I had kept my Exige if honest. Best lotus I’ve owned when all things considered and as far as every day drivers car GT4 wins it.

Emira kind of sits in a no man’s land and it looks a million dollars. The driving experience doesn’t live up to the looks.

I4 may be better but actually I think that is also a step back in terms of paddle shift. Also having had same engine in something else no matter what you do to it sounds awful and power delivery not engaging.

Such a shame for me I was hoping it would be a better drive than an Evora and I am real fan of that V6 for its sins.
Based on the drive in many ways it’s a step back rather than even having parity. It would def need a komotec kit that’s for sure!
I had my test drive at Ashford on Monday. This review sums up exactly how I felt about the car. I too am underwhelmed.

On the first showing at B&C, back in 2021, I got speaking with a guy at Lotus who manages the demo fleet. He gets to drive the cars, including competitor cars (they had an M2 and GT4 among others). Told me the Emira was like an Evora cranked up to 11. I was (mis)sold at that point. Seems over-selling it is an under-statement and it's probably like an Evora clamped down to 9.

Still, having not driven an Evora I'll probably be fine, rocking up in my Mx-5 it'll likely feel great....13 days to go till test drive...

Unless comfort is your whole thing, any Lotus will likely beat the Emira. I expect @TomE to be similarly disappointed. It isn't a Lotus. It is a fab package for those who love what it exactly offers which just happens to have a Lotus badge.

Gearbox - I thought it was excellent. So have others so perhaps it is down to the car's usage/newness and comparing it to other cars unfavourably.

Wind noise - Ha. I didn't hear anything BUT I am mostly deaf in my left ear and was enjoying myself too much to even consider something like that. Jeezuz. Who are taking out, our grans?

Backache - this will be person specific. I was in the car for 2 hours total and it was fine and I have lifelong back issues. I'd recommend that people use the electronic multiway lumbar knob to hit the right spot. This will not work or all.

Engine (strangulation) - I did hit the limiter a couple fimes. Didn;t bother me. I like changing gears and changing them sooner will become the norm.

I do find it really interesting how different a lot of us find the car, our differing expectations and mentality.
Keep them coming.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lotus has not aimed this car at the majority of its custome base, its unlikely to be for elise and exige owners, possibly not even a good chunk of evora owners. And this shows in a good few of the test drive reports. I also think the weight of its looks and the actual wait in time has done people's expectations and lotus no favours at.

Told me the Emira was like an Evora cranked up to 11.
This was a common phrase at that time.

Clearly this is wrong in terms of rawness and performance and drama.
If the Exige is 10/10, the Evora is 8/10 and Emira 6/10.
Fair enough.

The Emira only beats the Exige/Evora in the levels of comfort, overall robustness (we hope!) and beauty (subjective).

The Emira does not even match the Evora 400/410 in dynamic terms and probably no Exige at all.
However, for what the car is meant to be it is still amazing - just NOT a replacement for a previous Lotus.

I recall Gavan saying this as well. Maybe on track at their limits? Seems like a silly claim when the successor has less power and a tad bit more weight. 🤷‍♂️
I guess we will need to get some form of track time confirmation at some point.

maybe you couldn't hear anything due to the wind noise? ? ?

haha..

i think these back ache things are simply due to each persons ergonomics. I had a porche 125 way seat and I got back ache or leg ache after about 40 mins..... I dont know anyone else who does...
Its us rather than the seats, but if I found it in the Emira, I would simply not go forward as I dont think you can very easily adjust out of it... in the porsche I never could, not without a memory foam external item...

I had my test drive at Ashford on Monday. This review sums up exactly how I felt about the car. I too am underwhelmed.
Is that against similar reference points, ie Evora and Exige?

Hey, I’ll be the judge of that! ;)

Be in no doubt, it is very much a Lotus. Certainly in terms of ride and handling, based on all the press and customer reviews. Whether it’s a “better” Lotus than the previous models depends on what dimensions you’re judging it on. The things that appealed to previous Lotus owners may be the wrong criteria for the Emira to better those. I think we’re seeing that theme in these reviews.

Keep them coming. that’s the first time I have ever heard that said about any lotus - adapted Arius gearbox (also from a diesel truck) described and excellent - ever.

Not knocking but unless your reference is an old Nova that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that Statement ref gearbox (it’s a Arius box at heard). I’ve managed to get an extend drive in another owners car so will report back if that is any better (I hope it is tbh, I sincerely do). Drive a later Evora and you will upgrade that excellent to utterly sublime ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Emira does not even match the Evora 400/410 in dynamic terms and probably no Exige at all.
actually I think it does match them dynamically / handling (evora not exige) and maybe betters them slightly. However thats the problem - it only matches (or marginally improves) a car that was launched in 2009!

Managed to get test ride overall I give it a 7/10
My last 3 cars: G82 M4 competition, Audi R8 V10 610bhp, BMW I8 also loved my Evo8 back in the day and both Type R’s back when I though 200bhp was a lot lol, Audi TT, Astra GTE, MR2 etc etc
I did really like it and I agree with a lot of peoples reviews. I can see if this is your only car and your daily it ✅ lots of boxes, but for me this is purely just a w/e car for driving excitement so not buying it just on its sexy looks. Two areas fall short for me which were exhaust notes - to me the sound didn’t seem to increase much vs acceleration and it’s a not fast car you don’t get that umph kicking you back in your seat. Test drove an Evora the other week and that had better exhaust sound and felt faster. Also the JCW 4WD 306 bhp felt more umph when you put your foot down.
Test route was terrible at Bradford so couldn’t see the cars full potential as most of ride was in 30 & 40 mph moving slow thro traffic. If test route was better where the car could of excelled in its areas of strengths I may well of come away with a better view / connection/ excitement.
Driving conditions not great for demo rain ☔️ rain ☔️ but car did perform very well in the wet it gave lots of confidence in not ideal conditions.
Thought the KEF was fine ( Apple Music didn’t try radio )
Gears no problem even though haven’t driven a manual for years.
Sports very bumpy - I can see why Harry changed and I’m used to hard, or has Bradford got the most terrible roads in the whole of the Uk ( but I did have it in sport for 80% of drive. )
Sorry I’m not technical being from Venus but something I did notice which didn’t really like like the tyre is stuck in a rut and lots of movement coming back thro the steering wheel - is this cos I’ve had 4 wheel drive for donkies - can someone explain what this is ??
Steering wheel shape just something to get used to- I like the look of flat bottom wheels.
Thought interior just bit bland really nothing too special and some of the knobs didn’t look premium, rubber ill fitting on both sides at the curve - how can QC pass this ?
Thought brake was positioned in a strange place.
I did enjoy the handling of the car - would be interested to see how the I4 rides.
With the whole package considered I am more off the fence then on - to get me back on I would need a more extended drive in the dry and twisties but Lotus are saying this is not possible - come on most brands offer this even if your spending £30k ….
The whole package I mean direct buying model a massive turn off as dealers have no power or say in anything everything Lotus is so many rules do and don’ts . Customer service experience I have experienced is a 🚩 for when u do have the car. Also with not being near a dealer also big concern hearing some of the issues the cars are having - this is one area to watch closely with the early cars. I suppose I no longer seeing Lotus as a premium brand
So for £80k probably not maybe base is way for people to go or come back at a much later date when all the fuss has died down and reliability is proven.

Last edited:
I did really like it and I agree with a lot of peoples reviews. I can see if this is your only car and your daily it ✅ lots of boxes, but for me this is purely just a w/e car for driving excitement so not buying it just on its sexy looks. Two areas fall short for me which were exhaust notes - to me the sound didn’t seem to increase much vs acceleration and it’s a not fast car you don’t get that umph kicking you back in your seat. Test drove an Evora the other week and that had better exhaust sound and felt faster. Also the JCW 4WD 306 bhp felt more umph when you put your foot down.
Test route was terrible at Bradford so couldn’t see the cars full potential as most of ride was in 30 & 40 mph moving slow thro traffic. If test route was better where the car could of excelled in its areas of strengths I may well of come away with a better view / connection/ excitement.
Driving conditions not great for demo rain ☔️ rain ☔️ but car did perform very well in the wet it gave lots of confidence in not ideal conditions.
Sports very bumpy - I can see why Harry changed and I’m used to hard, or has Bradford got the most terrible roads in the whole of the Uk ( but I did have it in sport for 80% of drive. )
Sorry I’m not technical being from Venus but something I did notice which didn’t really like like the tyre is stuck in a rut and lots of movement coming back thro the steering wheel - is this cos I’ve had 4 wheel drive for donkies - can someone explain what this is ??
Steering wheel shape just something to get used to- I like the look of flat bottom wheels.
Thought interior just bit bland really nothing too special and some of the knobs didn’t look premium, rubber ill fitting on both sides at the curve - how can QC pass this ?
I did enjoy the handling of the car - would be interested to see how the I4 rides.
With the whole package considered I am more off the fence then on - to get me back on I would need a more extended drive in the dry and twisties but Lotus are saying this is not possible - come on most brands offer this even if your spending £30k ….
The whole package I mean direct buying model a massive turn off as dealers have no power or say in anything everything Lotus is so many rules do and don’ts . Customer service experience I have experienced is a 🚩 for when u do have the car. Also with not being near a dealer also big concern hearing some of the issues the cars are having - this is one area to watch closely with the early cars. I suppose I no longer seeing Lotus as a premium brand
So for £80k probably not maybe base is way for people to go or come back at a much later date when all the fuss has died down and reliability is proven.
Nice review, did you have cup2's or the Goodyear's?

My last 3 cars: G82 M4 competition, Audi R8 Sports plus 610bhp, BMW I8 also loved my Evo8 back in the day and both Type R’s back when I though 200bhp was a lot lol, Audi TT, Astra GTE, MR2 etc etc
Whoever thought it was a good idea to have a dealership there is ready for their next dose of strong medication. The brand has been shat on. Its either the fault of JCT just shoving them where they had a property with space or lotus not giving two shiny craps where they are situated. Grim really grim. I cant even be arsed to there to look/sit in it and I'm only 'a few' miles away.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back