The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

Yes, I am very blessed to be in the position that I am in. I worked 4 jobs (about 110-120 hours per week) for about 2 years to pay off all my family / student debt right out of college. Partially because I had to due to unfortunate family circumstances, and partially to just get rid of the debt as fast as possible. Regardless, I was able to pay off everything by age 24, and now I am down to a single job; my career as an engineer. I am grateful that I was given the abilities to push through the long weeks, lack of sleep, and diet of rice and tuna. It is overused, but I truly have been blessed, and it has been a very unique opportunity and a massive turn-around.
You were blessed alright, blessed with a great work ethic and ability to execute a well thought out plan of what you want to do. Give yourself credit for where you are today, primarily as a result of your sacrifice and hard work!! Best wishes for a successful future. We need more people like you in our country today...:)

Is this guy a plant from Lotus? Came out of nowhere and has nothing but really good things to say. Hmmm....
Regarding your review, did you get it up to track speeds? I found incredible composure, stability on straights and transitions yet quick, sharp with fast turn in through tight corners and beautifully balanced in the limit at Hethel. Great high speed grip. I had 2 full 20 min track sessions so plenty to experience the dynamic envelope.

I had my instructor at Hethel who is also teacher at Spa and the Ring drive a few laps in anger with me as a passenger so I could REALLY feel what it can do. I am 100% sure I have experienced the car at the limits which 99.9% of people on this thread will never get in a city test drive. Bottom line it was spectacular.

Note that I track and canyon/mountain drive a M2CS manual currently and have done the same with my previous 997.2 Targa 4S manual.

I get the concern re power. My M2CS is far faster and more torquey than the Emira and the 911, but the Emira is a momentum car with great handling and visceral mechanical to a fault feel. A miata with MUCH higher limits and speed. But the Emira is deceptive giving the linear power compared to the explosive low end rear happy torque of the M2CS.

It feels more rigid and tight, though less nimble than my autocross/track prepped daily 6spd Mini Cooper R56S on PS4s, Ohlins R&T and RSB.

Regardless the G series M4 is Uber powerful, great handling, luxurious inside but a little cold and distant in execution even compared to my M2CS. Also... 🦫's should stay in the river. ;)

Good luck with whatever you buy!

After driving it, the way I'm thinking about the whole ownership experience is changed. Special things (in all forms) come with compromises. That is in part, what makes them special. If they fixed all the shortcomings, it would cost 2-3x as much and be displaying a prancing horse logo, but to be honest, that would make it less special as well. For the price, it does a lot of things very right. I might not be able to take the new M3 from stoplight to stoplight, but I can guarantee you his girlfriend in the passenger seat will wish she was in my EMIRA. The conversations I'll have with gear heads at the gas station every time I fill up that no-one in a 911 is having (because they aren't special) will make up for slightly offset peddles. I've decided what I really want is "Special", because for the 1% of the time on the street I might actually use more car, it wont make up for the 99% of the time I'll be in the car that makes me feel like I'm driving something special. Life can be so mundane to begin with, why not appreciate something special when the opportunity presents?
By the same token - dont forget how bad it can he to get into a car that is (even slightly) underpowered. That constant reminder that you wish it had just a little more. Just a little. Just enough to give you that rush. Every time you take off from a traffic light or onto an on ramp when you're pressing it again because maybe this is the time it will push you back in the seat but it doesnt. its the same feeling when you get in a car and cant stop thinking about that one option you cheaped out on and now thats all you can think about. So it's more than just that 1% - it can be everytime you drive it.

Yes, I am very blessed to be in the position that I am in. I worked 4 jobs (about 110-120 hours per week) for about 2 years to pay off all my family / student debt right out of college. Partially because I had to due to unfortunate family circumstances, and partially to just get rid of the debt as fast as possible. Regardless, I was able to pay off everything by age 24, and now I am down to a single job; my career as an engineer. I am grateful that I was given the abilities to push through the long weeks, lack of sleep, and diet of rice and tuna. It is overused, but I truly have been blessed, and it has been a very unique opportunity and a massive turn-around.
Usually takes more than 26yrs to learn that sort of humility and gratitude, congratulations, that's something you can't buy

Lotus Emira Test Drive

Specs: Alcantara seats (no stripes), sports suspension, goodyears

I had a 20-minute test drive, a bit of stop/ start, some hills and turns in the backroads. Background.... I am freshly 26 years old. Definitely one of the youngest ones on the forum here. I have driven an older Cayman, Evora, and a C8, these are the only other mid-engined cars I have driven, myself. History of cars I have owned/ modded is below. So while others may be more experienced, this may be helpful for someone who this may be their first major sports car, or maybe just a refreshing reminder for some of the people on here who have gotten maybe a tad spoiled by their own experiences and lost the ‘magic’ feeling, getting a bit nitpicky about details. Or maybe it wont be helpful at all because I am just straight up less-experienced than many others. Either way.

Handling was awesome, could feel all the bumps and vibrations through the steering wheel. It did not give me a sensation of weightlessness as some have described lotus’ past (though I have never driven another lotus except an Evora), but it did inspire confidence and I knew exactly where and how to position the car. Ate the turns like I couldn’t believe, I didn’t even come close to taking turns as quickly as the car could handle. A person (who for legal reasons definitely isn’t me) was doing double the speed limit around a longer sweeping, banked, uphill bend and it was MAYBE 60% of speed that I feel the car could carry through. The car is much more capable than I am.

Sports suspension handled bumps remarkably in my opinion, way better than my 2015 STi. Car felt planted and flat, very little body roll with sports suspension but enough to communicate with the vehicle. The goodyears felt better than I expected after some negative reviews, but there was a bit of understeer powering out of turns at the front. Not going to be an issue on the streets unless you are doing something seriously illegal, but I am still going to opt for the Michelins so I hopefully don’t experience any of that, minimal as it was in my experience.

The way the engine feels and the exhaust opens up after 5800-6000 rpms is really something you need to experience to understand. Videos and audio recordings don’t really do it justice. Does feel like the redline should be slightly higher, but the dealer hinted that eventually Lotus plans to come out with ‘aftermarket’ performance parts you can buy from them directly that don’t void warranty (possibly a 416/430 tune?). Did the drive in sport mode, and I definitely would keep it that way daily. The gurgles and revs are nice, and you want to hear that engine wind up over and over.

The power is a great amount (more than enough for a decent while) for me, enough to rip around and not so much I kill myself accidentally. I have a history of driving sub 350 hp cars though, so I could see someone else wanting more. I, however found the power to be the perfect amount for the road. On a track, I would probably be left wanting, in all honesty.

Transmission is not a smooth action at all, but it was a sort of heavy, solid, notchy feel. The shift from 4th to 5th is a bit unexpected, but once I got used to it there was no issue. Clutch throw is very long, but the friction zone itself is pretty short and close to the top of the throw. The clutch almost feels heavier at the top than it does for the rest, so at first it was a bit misleading, but I adjusted by the end of the drive. Throw length feels very good to me. Way, way better than not being able to shift your own gears at all. Shifter is in a super natural place for your arm/ hand.

Brakes are absolutely nuts and super touchy. No doubts it about stopping ability. Parking brake being automatic and hill assist threw me off a bit because I have never experience those before. The pedals on the car I drove (LHD) were offset to the right and extremely close together, as others have pointed out. Nerve-wracking at first, but becomes natural quickly. Good to wear narrower, flexible shoes if possible.

Some interesting noises were coming out of the back of the car at low speeds (I think it was the LSD whining… not a grinding noise but a mechanical noise). Not an issue, but something I wanted to prepare other people for.

Steering wheel did not feel goofy to me, which was one of my main concerns. Felt good in the hands and the shape being slightly rectangular was a non-issue. I adjusted to having the first digital tach I have ever experienced super quickly as well. As long as you aren’t so tall that you cant adjust the steering wheel to a proper height for you, the HUD was nice and responsive. Maybe ever so slightly more lag than an analog needle (my preference) but not enough to be a detriment.

Seats were very comfortable to me, a bit narrow at the edge with the legs and maybe a bit more side bolstering would have been good, but overall very supportive and comfortable. Could absolutely road trip in them, no question.

Visually, the car looks much wider in person, as others have said. Taking pictures seems to shrink it down and maybe make it look a bit less aggressive by diluting some of the car’s smaller body lines.

As a final thought, if you want an engaging, involving, communicative car that you could daily not like anything else out right now, this is perfect for you. If you want to beat people off the line or be the fastest lap around the track, this car will disappoint you for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions! Pictures to follow later on, but wanted to get this out there!
What a great and truly informative review.
Thanks for taking the time to write it.
👍

I have something to add; this is in no way a direct comparison, as I’m not cross shopping these two cars (although the pricing isn’t far off). Firstly, I have a deposit down on a V6 6sp Emira, and test drove one in NJ last Saturday and loved it. Two days ago I was asked by my employer to pick up her personal 997.2 911 Turbo S and take it from her home to another location and back (about 70 miles round trip). Some highway some back roads some city. This car is one owner bone stock 23k miles mint condition. Oh boy, is it ‘Porsche-y’ feeling! Super well built, solid, strong German feel. Incredible power (this is pdk). I’d say near ridiculous acceleration (for street driving). Sound? I’d say nice (turbo whoosh dominated the sound when pushing it). Handling? I’d say ‘heavy’ with TONS of grip. The car felt heavy to me too. Car felt like it was built by a team of German engineers with an agenda of ‘We MUST make this car UNBEATABLE!!!! We Vill put every available technology in it and we Vill DOMINATE!!!!’ And by god it surely felt like it would dominate pretty much anything on the road (and this is a 10yr old (but in new condition) car!). Anyway that’s how the 911 Turbo S felt when I drove it.

The Lotus felt almost polar opposite. I had previously put up a shortish review of the drive; but Cliffs Notes is - UNBELIEVABLE good steering feel (blows that 911 feel out of the water), and a total all around feeling of smaller lighter sportier more in-tuneness with the driver. No where near the power; but a ‘just rightness’ feel to the power (for street driving). Feel of controls is lighter more sensitive. Feeling of ‘occasion’ is 1000x more.

I was offered to chance to purchase this 911 Turbo S for about 15% more than I’ll be paying for the Emira. And I didn’t have to even consider it. No way.

(Now of course I realize that a 10 yr old 911 Turbo S is not a 718 GTS in any way shape or form. But the Porsche-ness factor is still there. Two totally different design philosophy’s)

Lotus Emira Test Drive

Specs: Alcantara seats (no stripes), sports suspension, goodyears

I had a 20-minute test drive, a bit of stop/ start, some hills and turns in the backroads. Background.... I am freshly 26 years old. Definitely one of the youngest ones on the forum here. I have driven an older Cayman, Evora, and a C8, these are the only other mid-engined cars I have driven, myself. History of cars I have owned/ modded is below. So while others may be more experienced, this may be helpful for someone who this may be their first major sports car, or maybe just a refreshing reminder for some of the people on here who have gotten maybe a tad spoiled by their own experiences and lost the ‘magic’ feeling, getting a bit nitpicky about details. Or maybe it wont be helpful at all because I am just straight up less-experienced than many others. Either way.

Handling was awesome, could feel all the bumps and vibrations through the steering wheel. It did not give me a sensation of weightlessness as some have described lotus’ past (though I have never driven another lotus except an Evora), but it did inspire confidence and I knew exactly where and how to position the car. Ate the turns like I couldn’t believe, I didn’t even come close to taking turns as quickly as the car could handle. A person (who for legal reasons definitely isn’t me) was doing double the speed limit around a longer sweeping, banked, uphill bend and it was MAYBE 60% of speed that I feel the car could carry through. The car is much more capable than I am.

Sports suspension handled bumps remarkably in my opinion, way better than my 2015 STi. Car felt planted and flat, very little body roll with sports suspension but enough to communicate with the vehicle. The goodyears felt better than I expected after some negative reviews, but there was a bit of understeer powering out of turns at the front. Not going to be an issue on the streets unless you are doing something seriously illegal, but I am still going to opt for the Michelins so I hopefully don’t experience any of that, minimal as it was in my experience.

The way the engine feels and the exhaust opens up after 5800-6000 rpms is really something you need to experience to understand. Videos and audio recordings don’t really do it justice. Does feel like the redline should be slightly higher, but the dealer hinted that eventually Lotus plans to come out with ‘aftermarket’ performance parts you can buy from them directly that don’t void warranty (possibly a 416/430 tune?). Did the drive in sport mode, and I definitely would keep it that way daily. The gurgles and revs are nice, and you want to hear that engine wind up over and over.

The power is a great amount (more than enough for a decent while) for me, enough to rip around and not so much I kill myself accidentally. I have a history of driving sub 350 hp cars though, so I could see someone else wanting more. I, however found the power to be the perfect amount for the road. On a track, I would probably be left wanting, in all honesty.

Transmission is not a smooth action at all, but it was a sort of heavy, solid, notchy feel. The shift from 4th to 5th is a bit unexpected, but once I got used to it there was no issue. Clutch throw is very long, but the friction zone itself is pretty short and close to the top of the throw. The clutch almost feels heavier at the top than it does for the rest, so at first it was a bit misleading, but I adjusted by the end of the drive. Throw length feels very good to me. Way, way better than not being able to shift your own gears at all. Shifter is in a super natural place for your arm/ hand.

Brakes are absolutely nuts and super touchy. No doubts it about stopping ability. Parking brake being automatic and hill assist threw me off a bit because I have never experience those before. The pedals on the car I drove (LHD) were offset to the right and extremely close together, as others have pointed out. Nerve-wracking at first, but becomes natural quickly. Good to wear narrower, flexible shoes if possible.

Some interesting noises were coming out of the back of the car at low speeds (I think it was the LSD whining… not a grinding noise but a mechanical noise). Not an issue, but something I wanted to prepare other people for.

Steering wheel did not feel goofy to me, which was one of my main concerns. Felt good in the hands and the shape being slightly rectangular was a non-issue. I adjusted to having the first digital tach I have ever experienced super quickly as well. As long as you aren’t so tall that you cant adjust the steering wheel to a proper height for you, the HUD was nice and responsive. Maybe ever so slightly more lag than an analog needle (my preference) but not enough to be a detriment.

Seats were very comfortable to me, a bit narrow at the edge with the legs and maybe a bit more side bolstering would have been good, but overall very supportive and comfortable. Could absolutely road trip in them, no question.

Visually, the car looks much wider in person, as others have said. Taking pictures seems to shrink it down and maybe make it look a bit less aggressive by diluting some of the car’s smaller body lines.

As a final thought, if you want an engaging, involving, communicative car that you could daily not like anything else out right now, this is perfect for you. If you want to beat people off the line or be the fastest lap around the track, this car will disappoint you for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions! Pictures to follow later on, but wanted to get this out there!
Great review and thank you for that. As a previous Evora sports racer and Evora400 owner - I am concerned that Lotus have not spent money to update and beef up the gearbox (they said they would)
The transmission noise you heard, was this in 1st/2nd gear, low speed as you try to gently accelerate? Sounds like a graunch - clutch drag type of noise. Very off putting, both my Evora’s had it.
I said I wouldn’t take my Emira to Lotus if they hadn’t sorted this out- you are right to advise people of this, I am in the UK and still await a test drive of the car after nearly 6 months of promises. Do comment.

Great review and thank you for that. As a previous Evora sports racer and Evora400 owner - I am concerned that Lotus have not spent money to update and beef up the gearbox (they said they would)
The transmission noise you heard, was this in 1st/2nd gear, low speed as you try to gently accelerate? Sounds like a graunch - clutch drag type of noise. Very off putting, both my Evora’s had it.
I said I wouldn’t take my Emira to Lotus if they hadn’t sorted this out- you are right to advise people of this, I am in the UK and still await a test drive of the car after nearly 6 months of promises. Do comment.
Yes, it was only at very low speeds, and it occurred whether turning or going straight, on or off the clutch, slowing down or getting moving. It did not sound like the typical high-pitched LSD whine that I am accustomed to from other cars, but almost more of a crunchy noise. The noise seemed to be coming from slightly behind me. Similar to a sound that would happen if you didnt clutch and tried to shift and the gears ground against each other, but much more subdued and less violent. It didnt feel like it was causing any extra vibrations through my hand on the shifter when it was happening. I am not 100% sure what this noise was, nor was the dealer, but it went away above 10 mph or so. He said it was normal, however, and you seem to know exactly what I am talking about in your Evoras!

As a follow-up to my test drive write-up above, here are some pictures that we took! I know we have seen a lot of the same pictures over and over, so I tried to mix in a couple that maybe show off how the light interacts with the body lines from different vantages that we don't typically see the car from. Obviously, mixed in with some typical angles of the car and some shots of the interior stitching, etc.
View attachment 10087View attachment 10088View attachment 10089View attachment 10090View attachment 10091View attachment 10092View attachment 10093
Nice Forum debut as as car guy, writer and photographer.
Thanks for illuminating the Emira so.

Yes, it was only at very low speeds, and it occurred whether turning or going straight, on or off the clutch, slowing down or getting moving. It did not sound like the typical high-pitched LSD whine that I am accustomed to from other cars, but almost more of a crunchy noise. The noise seemed to be coming from slightly behind me. Similar to a sound that would happen if you didnt clutch and tried to shift and the gears ground against each other, but much more subdued and less violent. It didnt feel like it was causing any extra vibrations through my hand on the shifter when it was happening. I am not 100% sure what this noise was, nor was the dealer, but it went away above 10 mph or so. He said it was normal, however, and you seem to know exactly what I am talking about in your Evoras!
If you go onto the Lotus Guru YouTube channel and watch the Evora transmission video, he explains it as a gear movement on a shaft-fix is this being beefed up. This is what I was expecting to be sorted.
Lotus strip the Toyota box down and fit their own gear ratios, I think this part of the build is poor, resulting in cars producing this transmission noise. I am really annoyed that for all the development work they have put into this car they haven’t sorted this out. Lots of people are going to listen to this and be very confused.
When I raised this noise with my two brand new Evora’s, I was given the excuse “it’s a characteristic” of the car and they wouldn’t look at warranty on the car.

If you go onto the Lotus Guru YouTube channel and watch the Evora transmission video, he explains it as a gear movement on a shaft-fix is this being beefed up. This is what I was expecting to be sorted.
Lotus strip the Toyota box down and fit their own gear ratios, I think this part of the build is poor, resulting in cars producing this transmission noise. I am really annoyed that for all the development work they have put into this car they haven’t sorted this out. Lots of people are going to listen to this and be very confused.
When I raised this noise with my two brand new Evora’s, I was given the excuse “it’s a characteristic” of the car and they wouldn’t look at warranty on the car.
Has it ever caused any harm or failures to the Evora, in your time racing? Or just an annoyance that should have been addressed in build?

Has it ever caused any harm or failures to the Evora, in your time racing? Or just an annoyance that should have been addressed in build?
It’s just an annoyance, People who have been in my cars have commented on it. I suppose I just know it could have been sorted, as my local dealer have done gearbox strip downs to sort it for customers, but it’s an engine out job.
In respect to track days, it’s never caused an issue.
Friend has an Evora S1 - which had a gearbox rebuild before he bought it. I do think that the gearbox is the weak link, not sure if the 410/430 Evora’s have stronger boxes but torque seems to be the issue.
So on a NVH basis - I just think it’s a missed opportunity to resolve. The car is going to be a hit, but - I think like you experienced many will say- what’s that noise. Dealers response will be interesting, as they are sitting in the car at the same time as customers.
There is another you tube video - a test drive at Goodwood where the tester turns around to the Lotus engineer and asks - what’s that noise- the engineers response is - they all do that even the earlier cars!

I just believe that they could have sorted it. It maybe a deal breaker for me.

As a follow-up to my test drive write-up above, here are some pictures that we took! I know we have seen a lot of the same pictures over and over, so I tried to mix in a couple that maybe show off how the light interacts with the body lines from different vantages that we don't typically see the car from. Obviously, mixed in with some typical angles of the car and some shots of the interior stitching, etc.
View attachment 10087View attachment 10088View attachment 10089View attachment 10090View attachment 10091View attachment 10092View attachment 10093
Oh yeah I'm definitely buying the car now, the filler cap is on the right side and that means I get to go in the short line for gas as most of the cars around here have the filler on the left...:) Yea!!!

It is a rattling gear noise, I heard it while test driving, very audible. It sounds like gear lash, mostly at Lowe's RPM

Think it was in @ott review who has an Exige where he said the 'shunt' wasn't as bad but was still there.
So I guess it's been refined but still there

Think it was in @ott review who has an Exige where he said the 'shunt' wasn't as bad but was still there.
So I guess it's been refined but still there
OTT stated the following:

Gear ratios are reasonably short, Porsche is often criticised for long gearing. I didn't exceed 4000 rpm and in 6-th its 180 kmh. Transmission rattle is well known on Exiges and it is still present in Emira, but much less. You hear it only when accelerating from idle up to 2000 rpm on lower gears. No rattle on idle as opposed to Exige.

So I guess you have to check and decide if it’s a problem or something you can live with, but for a £82k car on the road, in my eyes disappointing but it is a lovely looking car as you say.

Maybe the DCT box car maybe better option overall. Only for those who don’t want a manual car.

There you have it, decisions, decisions, decisions and you thought spec and colour was an issue.

It’s just an annoyance, People who have been in my cars have commented on it. I suppose I just know it could have been sorted, as my local dealer have done gearbox strip downs to sort it for customers, but it’s an engine out job.
In respect to track days, it’s never caused an issue.
Friend has an Evora S1 - which had a gearbox rebuild before he bought it. I do think that the gearbox is the weak link, not sure if the 410/430 Evora’s have stronger boxes but torque seems to be the issue.
So on a NVH basis - I just think it’s a missed opportunity to resolve. The car is going to be a hit, but - I think like you experienced many will say- what’s that noise. Dealers response will be interesting, as they are sitting in the car at the same time as customers.
There is another you tube video - a test drive at Goodwood where the tester turns around to the Lotus engineer and asks - what’s that noise- the engineers response is - they all do that even the earlier cars!

I just believe that they could have sorted it. It maybe a deal breaker for me.

This is a fairly common issue on Evoras and V6 Exiges. As well as the gearbox shaft assembly, there is a throwout bearing that can have slightly too much play and cause a noticeable agricultural sound at low revs in 1st and 2nd gear. My Evora S has done it since day one and I was concerned it was a sign of a possible future gearbox or clutch problem. My dealer had someone from Lotus Field Service inspect the car and they also used "it's a characteristic" and "within acceptable limits" and "they all do that". Over 11 years it hasn't worsened but is still annoying.

Definitely something I had hoped Lotus would have sorted after 12 years and already on my list to check closely on a test drive.

Went for a test drive earlier today and wanted to share my opinion, with a few possibly biased comparisons to the Evora GT. I started buying/selling/modifying cars 17 years ago (34 now) mainly dealt with Honda s2000 and k20/24 platforms. Have owned a variety of cars mainly pre 05. Have driven more modern cars m2 981 S R35 etc. I purchased a Evora GT earlier this year and words can’t really describe how happy I find myself every time I go for a drive.

Sport suspension
Cup2s
Shadow Grey

Car looked good overall. Color didn’t do it much justice I felt but that’s my personal opinion. I will say the wheel gap is much more noticeable than I thought it would be (even compared to the Evora GT) I feel the car will really stand out on the road though. Definitely has a unique and special look to it.

Interior was much more advanced and current in comparisons to the GT. Everything in the interior felt modern. It has a very practical center console with cup holders. I really feel this interior will allow the car to be daily driven in warm climates etc. Pedal box felt the same as the Evora. I noticed the seats had particularly low bolsters and didn’t have that locked into place feel. Still comfortable and I will say I did not mess with the many available settings other than a few to adjust the seat quickly. Steering wheel was all leather. I honestly wasn’t a fan of it. This is something that could take getting used to. The dash and display screens along with the misc buttons toggles etc will suit many I feel. I think your typical buyer is going to want all of this in a new car at this price point. Lotus did a great job of providing all of these features. As stated above I’m coming from mainly driving and owning older vehicles. I love analogue gauges. I love pressing a button and feeling it engage. The Emira dash didn’t do it for me. I felt as if I were looking at the dash on a different car. I will be the minority in this situation. I’m again not used to modern displays etc.

The drive was just a quick 15min loop. Clutch felt a bit lighter than the GT. I think this will be a helpful selling point. Engagement point felt similar to the GT possibly less aggressive engagement. What surprised me was the sound. You definitely heard the whine of the SC over the exhaust note while accelerating. This will be a quick easy fix for anyone looking for the car to be louder I’m sure. Shift mechanism felt similar to the GT but I did notice that going into 4th/5th possibly felt smoother less engagement. I love the feel of the GT. It’s precise and each shift gives you satisfaction. I feel with the Emira they went the same route while possibly making the higher gears easier to engage etc. I could be entirely wrong about this as well but either way it felt great and similar to the GT. Acceleration felt good and similar to the GT. I wasn’t pushing the car hard at all but buyers need to realize these are not straight line fast cars. They are quick and plenty of fun in a straight line but we all know where they shine. My GT is a blast in the canyons. I imagine the Emira will be the same. The Emira felt planted and definitely gave you that connected to the road feel. The sport suspension felt similar to the GT though I did not really push the car hard. Ride felt good though overall. I read in other reviews that the brakes were touchy. I was expecting the same as the GT brakes but was surprised when they were noticeably touchy at low speeds. This is something I think you can quickly get used to as the car is easy to drive at a low rate of speed in 1st gear. The biggest advancement for in cabin upgrades was overall visibility. Side mirrors on the Emira are great and the rear hatch has plenty of visibility. This will be great for those daily driving the car or using it as a touring car. Cabin noise was low and definitely quieter than the GT no wind noises etc. The Emira feels driver focused but the dash display screen, steering wheel, and seats didn’t feel right while driving the car. Something just felt off. The dash wasn’t pleasant to look at IMO. This is again coming from someone who has owned dated cars and prefers your typical analogue dash display.

I’m one of the few buyers that the GT is geared towards. If it weren’t for the Emira I would have never test drove one to later that day owning it. The Emira will fit more needs. It will be a more widely accepted car I feel. The retired couple who wants a great touring car that isn’t a corvette. The commuter in a warm climate who wants something nice to drive as a daily or a secondary car. A second car to enjoy on the weekends and bring to local car shows.

I will likely end up not following through with my Emira purchase. After purchasing the GT I had a strong feeling this would be the case but after the test drive nothing pushed me away from the GT. Owners will be happy I feel. Anyone who is unsure will know after a test drive if this is the car for you or not.

Went for a test drive earlier today and wanted to share my opinion, with a few possibly biased comparisons to the Evora GT. I started buying/selling/modifying cars 17 years ago (34 now) mainly dealt with Honda s2000 and k20/24 platforms. Have owned a variety of cars mainly pre 05. Have driven more modern cars m2 981 S R35 etc. I purchased a Evora GT earlier this year and words can’t really describe how happy I find myself every time I go for a drive.

Sport suspension
Cup2s
Shadow Grey

Car looked good overall. Color didn’t do it much justice I felt but that’s my personal opinion. I will say the wheel gap is much more noticeable than I thought it would be (even compared to the Evora GT) I feel the car will really stand out on the road though. Definitely has a unique and special look to it.

Interior was much more advanced and current in comparisons to the GT. Everything in the interior felt modern. It has a very practical center console with cup holders. I really feel this interior will allow the car to be daily driven in warm climates etc. Pedal box felt the same as the Evora. I noticed the seats had particularly low bolsters and didn’t have that locked into place feel. Still comfortable and I will say I did not mess with the many available settings other than a few to adjust the seat quickly. Steering wheel was all leather. I honestly wasn’t a fan of it. This is something that could take getting used to. The dash and display screens along with the misc buttons toggles etc will suit many I feel. I think your typical buyer is going to want all of this in a new car at this price point. Lotus did a great job of providing all of these features. As stated above I’m coming from mainly driving and owning older vehicles. I love analogue gauges. I love pressing a button and feeling it engage. The Emira dash didn’t do it for me. I felt as if I were looking at the dash on a different car. I will be the minority in this situation. I’m again not used to modern displays etc.

The drive was just a quick 15min loop. Clutch felt a bit lighter than the GT. I think this will be a helpful selling point. Engagement point felt similar to the GT possibly less aggressive engagement. What surprised me was the sound. You definitely heard the whine of the SC over the exhaust note while accelerating. This will be a quick easy fix for anyone looking for the car to be louder I’m sure. Shift mechanism felt similar to the GT but I did notice that going into 4th/5th possibly felt smoother less engagement. I love the feel of the GT. It’s precise and each shift gives you satisfaction. I feel with the Emira they went the same route while possibly making the higher gears easier to engage etc. I could be entirely wrong about this as well but either way it felt great and similar to the GT. Acceleration felt good and similar to the GT. I wasn’t pushing the car hard at all but buyers need to realize these are not straight line fast cars. They are quick and plenty of fun in a straight line but we all know where they shine. My GT is a blast in the canyons. I imagine the Emira will be the same. The Emira felt planted and definitely gave you that connected to the road feel. The sport suspension felt similar to the GT though I did not really push the car hard. Ride felt good though overall. I read in other reviews that the brakes were touchy. I was expecting the same as the GT brakes but was surprised when they were noticeably touchy at low speeds. This is something I think you can quickly get used to as the car is easy to drive at a low rate of speed in 1st gear. The biggest advancement for in cabin upgrades was overall visibility. Side mirrors on the Emira are great and the rear hatch has plenty of visibility. This will be great for those daily driving the car or using it as a touring car. Cabin noise was low and definitely quieter than the GT no wind noises etc. The Emira feels driver focused but the dash display screen, steering wheel, and seats didn’t feel right while driving the car. Something just felt off. The dash wasn’t pleasant to look at IMO. This is again coming from someone who has owned dated cars and prefers your typical analogue dash display.

I’m one of the few buyers that the GT is geared towards. If it weren’t for the Emira I would have never test drove one to later that day owning it. The Emira will fit more needs. It will be a more widely accepted car I feel. The retired couple who wants a great touring car that isn’t a corvette. The commuter in a warm climate who wants something nice to drive as a daily or a secondary car. A second car to enjoy on the weekends and bring to local car shows.

I will likely end up not following through with my Emira purchase. After purchasing the GT I had a strong feeling this would be the case but after the test drive nothing pushed me away from the GT. Owners will be happy I feel. Anyone who is unsure will know after a test drive if this is the car for you or not.

Similar background to you. Started with tweaking B series Honda motors and moved on up. Doesn't the S2k have a digital speedo as well? I also prefer analog (or at least analog style digital gauges), but the Emira digital display didn't bother me. Something I could easily get used to. Maybe there will be updates and more options in the future. Seats and steering wheel felt good to me, but I'd prefer more agressive seats like the GT's Sparco sourced buckets. Anyway, thanks for your review/feedback. Wish we got longer/better test drives!

Reactions: AP1

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back