Thoughts on colors after a factory tour

slotus

Reaction score
Hi gents, first post here! Like many of you here I was really frustrated by the lack of color details to make the choice and took the opportunity to take a factory tour to help me decide. Pics were not allowed, but I was able to see all the colors indoors and out and driving around. Overall the paint quality is good and they do paint each car as a matched set. Nearly every color looks good because the car looks good. Here are my observations and opinions to hopefully be of help:

The most common color was Seneca blue, then nimbus, then dark verdant. The least common were osmium silver, white, zinc grey, and meridian blue, with only one each.

I think all of the solid colors except shadow grey look best with the black roof and black wheels, and all of the metalic colors look best with the body colored roof.

Nimbus and magma red have the most color contrast and show off the curves of the car the best. Dark verdant and meridian are beautiful but look black in anything but bright sunlight and show dirt and fingerprints just like black. Dark verdant is definitely not british racing green, and that would have looked very strange on this car.

Nimbus is the most "practical" color, it will hide scratches and dirt the best. It has a nice pewter tone that does not show in the configurator. The car displayed on the touchscreen is Nimbus on all cars. Cosmos black is the most "special" color, it includes prismatic particles that give it a sort of opalescent pop.

Osmium silver and white were imo the worst colors, as they are very flat and have a 90s cheap car vibe that does not mix well with the styling. Shadow grey was the most unexpected to me, as it has a slight blue tint that only shows up under a blue sky and gives it some depth.

The brake calipers are not color matched to the paint so the same colors together look BAD. They are color matched to the interior stitching and work well as a contrasting highlight to the paint color. Yellow is also matched to the logos and red is matched to the start button cover. Red/yellow look best on neutral and dark colored cars, and black/grey on bright color cars. The paint quality on the calipers is pretty bad and the bright colors highlight that. I did not see a single car with grey calipers.

The leather quality is really good. The red leather is also not color matched to either red paint and does not go well together.

Osmium silver and white were imo the worst colors, as they are very flat and have a 90s cheap car vibe that does not mix well with the styling. .
1719507647835.png
😆

What you think about the vivid red?
I’ve seen about nine of the different colors in person. And vivid red is absolutely one of my favorites. It really pops and shows off the lines of the car and contrasts nicely with the black diffusers. I saw it parked next to a Ferrari and honestly, it was a better red than on the Ferrari. The McLaren dealer with me also agreed.

Under fluorescent lights Osmium can feel a little washed out but in any other light it glows. It certainly shows the lines of the car well. A buddy (recently retired after 30 years with CALTY Design, the North American design studio for Toyota/Lexus in Newport Beach) said the color has great "flop" which he explained was the term they used in the studio to describe how light falling on the car reveals the intricacies of the panel surfacing. He said for just that reason silver was a very common color used in their development process as darker colors can mask some of those details. I have yet to see a mist white in person but as you and many here have observed, the design is so compelling that any color looks good. If you're thoughtful with the interior color and wheel choices, every color can look pretty spectacular (imo). Would love to make the trip to the factory and the Heritage museum someday!

Osmium owner, here to defend my choice!

Osmium, in my opinion, highlights the contours of the car the best in the most lighting conditions.

To my taste, Nimbus and Magma can look incredible in photos, but in the flesh don't pop unless under ideal conditions. They also don't highlight the design of the car as well as Osmium.

Vivid red was a close second for me, however, I ultimately passed due to the fact it made the car look more "generic sports car" than Emira. I am sure I would still be very happy with the Vivid Red, but I think Osmium emphasizes the design better than any other color.
Osmium is the only color that consistently shows the crease in the part of the front fender immediately behind the wheel and in front of the door. Other colors show this curvature in some lighting, but not all.

Care for more of my opinions? I like to hear myself talk (or type)!

You’ve posted the picture upside down. It’s a nine. I couldn’t read it the wrong way up.

I've had this same issue/debate with other vehicles and the bottom line, as expressed by the OP, is that any vehicle which looks good due to its design/curves (like the Emira), will look fabulous in almost any colour. The sooner people realize that, the less angst people will experience when vacillating between one particular colour choice, over another, when deciding what to order/buy. There's no real right or wrong answer, due to everyone having different tastes, plus some colours take on different meanings based upon one's life experiences.

To the OP, thanks for sharing your thoughts! If you don't mind, could you take a quick look at the following image. It would be interesting to hear what you see there, it could shed some light on why Osmium Silver might not appeal to you :whistle::p

View attachment 46764
Lol it’s a six, you’ve got to use the one that doesn’t have a number in it to really test people😅

Just remember to use Porsche logic. The ugliest colors become the rarest colors, that become the most valuable colors. You do you!