• The August 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 August 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Throttle House Cancel Their Emira....

Not pushing back on your opinions, but in terms of "last of its kind", do you know any other brand selling a port-injected engine without a turbo? Might be splitting hairs by calling the Z06 mill "last of a" since I bet the 2GR/FE is also just that.
I understand but don’t forget the Toyota motor is a great motor, but it’s not in anyway a performance motor. The reason its port injection because Lotus could not put the supercharger on top of the Direct injection version. What I said is not opinion it’s fact. Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Mercedes, do not produce in their production sports cars a NA V8 motor. Lamborghini canceled the V10 that is also in the R8 and I can’t believe GM built this motor when all others went to forced induction. The port injection motor from Toyota is dirty compared to controlled direct injection.

1990 ZR1
Corvette engineers tapped Lotus, GM-owned at the time, for help as they developed the world's fastest production car. They farmed out assembly of the LT5 V-8 engine to Mercury Marine, shipped the engines to Bowling Green, Kentucky, stuffed them in the C4 chassis—and a legend was born.
The specs shattered the low aspirations GM had cultivated with the C3 and C4 Corvette. At launch, the LT5 V-8 engine produced 380 horsepower and clocked a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds, per Road & Track’s first test. In 1993, Chevy struck back with modified cylinder heads, exhaust system, and valvetrain to bump power to 405 hp.
Lotus also helped the Corvette team design the ZR-1's upgraded brakes and steering. The ZR-1 upturned the ‘Vette’s reputation for only straight-line speed. Now, Chevy’s sports car could hold its own on the track, too

Sometimes the girl next door is a lot less maintenance than the supermodel. At least from my experience, which is why I had both of these cars on order. One thing is funny I went to my Lotus Dealer asking what oil service will cost me, it’s 890 dollars, yes on a Toyota motor with a supercharger on top and no dry sump..

The following week I was talking to the Z06 tech and the Service Advisor, they said car has dry sump and internal filter with 8 scavenger pumps and basically a race engine so the oil change with special oil is not cheap. I was thinking O great the number going to be 1k+ or above which will make me have to change the oil. He said all in out the door price your looking at 175 dollars. I told him what my Lotus SA said and they are huh you’re definitely getting bent over, which I agree. To me both these cars a completely different animals, a manual Emira is not fast car based off today’s standards but a throw back to the older days with some added tech. The Z06 motor is the last of it kind, no other manufacturers are making NA motors with that much power while 98% have gone like Lotus with turbos or superchargers.
As a pilot I might prefer flying my P51 Mustang but at work the F22 is a seriously fast technical machine that pushes your body and mind to limits you did not know you had. The Z06 with the Z07 package is the later in my over exaggerated analogy.
My Lotus dealer oil & filter change was approx. $285.00 with taxes.
This doesn't involve a surgical team.
Games played I say.

Emira was on Cup2 and GTS 4.0 was on PS4S tires, so not really apples to apples.

Source:

Regardless, Emira / GTS are close enough in lap time that you probably wouldn't pick on that basis.
Tires make a big difference and so does a manual verses DCT trans.

A straight line race favors the automatic. I don't know how much difference a Cup2 is going to make, other than maybe at launch, but for the rest of the run, the tire with the least amount of rolling resistance would have the advantage. The Ps4s might actually have the advantage in a drag race in that regard.

These kinds of comparisons are really just fun runs more than anything else, and they make entertaining videos.

I could easily own a C8 and would like to see them build a Grand Sport version. I'm not really interested in a Z06 for a variety of reason. In any case, a 'vette would not replace my Lotus, it would act as a daily. I'm actively considering that now as I consider a properly specified C8 as the value proposition of the field. You just walk in, spec and buy. You get a very fast car with easy service, guaranteed parts and decent build without pleading or paying extra.

If I was paying full boat plus for a Z06, I'd get in line for a GTS instead. There's really no comparison to me between any Corvette and any IC Lotus. They have completely different appeals to me, but both have their distinct advantages. You could almost say the same thing about most Porsches. Personally, I think every enthusiast should own their Porsche at some point in their "career" but I digress. If convenience and performance by numbers, including "$/pound of content ratio" is the factor, Lotus has never been the answer.

Lotus is truly in a class of one and you buy because they have visceral appeal and are different. They are not the value proposition by any normal metric. A Chevrolet is all of that and has great appeal if for that reason alone, but there are other reasons to acquire one. It takes a certain esthetic to buy a Lotus. Nothing to brag about, you're just different that way.

What a great looking car the Emira is. Lotus have always had pleasing designs and a distinctive style. But you need to want something different (and you really need to value steering feel!).

Last edited:
I could easily own a C8 and would like to see them build a Grand Sport version. I'm not really interested in a Z06 for a variety of reason. In any case, a 'vette would not replace my Lotus, it would act as a daily. I'm actively considering that now as I consider a properly specified C8 as the value proposition of the field. You just walk in, spec and buy. You get a very fast car with easy service, guaranteed parts and decent build without pleading or paying extra.

If I was paying full boat plus for a Z06, I'd get in line for a GTS instead. There's really no comparison to me between any Corvette and any IC Lotus. They have completely different appeals to me, but both have their distinct advantages. You could almost say the same thing about most Porsches. Personally, I think every enthusiast should own their Porsche at some point in their "career" but I digress. If convenience and performance by numbers, including "$/pound of content ratio" is the factor, Lotus has never been the answer.

Lotus is truly in a class of one and you buy because they have visceral appeal and are different. They are not the value proposition by any normal metric. A Chevrolet is all of that and has great appeal if for that reason alone, but there are other reasons to acquire one. It takes a certain esthetic to buy a Lotus. Nothing to brag about, you're just different that way.

What a great looking car the Emira is. Lotus have always had pleasing designs and a distinctive style. But you need to want something different (and you really need to value steering feel!).
I owned a 2020 C8 Z51 and sold it after 90 days of ownership. The engine and trans did not match up and the car needed higher revs. The Z06 for 2024 comes with more standard features with a starting MSRP around 115k. Driving it with its higher revs makes it feel completely different than the C8 Z51 that I owned. Lotus is a special car and will be the more rare vehicle. To me we are at inflection point, ICE sports cars will be getting more expensive and more rare. Get them while you can, and enjoy the Lotus Emira.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.png
    IMG_0674.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
Nice channel but every second month they order a car - and then cancel. Order and cancel, more views for the YouTube channel 😎

Nice channel but every second month they order a car - and then cancel. Order and cancel, more views for the YouTube channel 😎
These guys are probably one of the best on YouTube. Most Youtubers try to be first out of the gate with the cars they buy under the channel, especially for review purposes. The issue with the Emira it had major delays and some other YT like Everyday driver already went in that direction & bought one. When you drive any car, you can for a living based on manufactures wanting you to test them, there is no need to buy. Plus, he has a child and making money on YT is not as easy as people think. This walk away is not a shot at the Emira they all do it and move to the next exciting car, I get it as they need to run a business. I would never purchase a car just based off a you Tuber review or because they have one in their fleet.

Last edited: