• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals Track Journal- JDK's DV Emira in PNW

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.

Dr.JDK

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi all,
After 3 years of wait, I finally took delivery of the Emira this May. It wasn't a very smooth experience as my steering pump was broken and the dealer need to replace it during the PDI process. But since then, I didn't really have any significant issues with my DV Emira. I am creating a track-focused journal to document my trips with the Lotus to different tracks in the US.
My initial thoughts of the car:
Handling is superb as the steering feedback is the best among all the cars I have driven. The seat is okay- I think it's too bulky. The shifter is very mechanical and requires high driving skills to master the up and downshifts. I love the pedal placement tho as it is so easy to heel-and-toe. The suspension is very compliant despite it is a sport setup with cup 2 tires. The engine is unique and on the road is more than fast enough.
Overall, I am very happy with the car right out of the box.

After the ppf, 1000 mile break-in, and the first oil change. I took the Emira to the track. Oh boy...

My first track impression:
I first took the Emira to the Oregon Raceway Park. I actually trailered the car there. You know, it's a Lotus, and if it is broken, ORP is 5 hours away from my home. ORP is very technical track with huge elevation change and thrilling on-and-off camber and blind corners. The Emira showed incredible grip. I am going to summarize some good and bads below:
The Goods:
  • Engine sounds incredible and I didn't experience any significant overheating issues. The temperature was around 84 F and sunny.
  • Handling is incredibly precise. I can feel where the grip is and when it will let go.
  • Throttle response is instantaneous.
  • So easy to heel-and-toe.
The Bads:
  • Wind Buffeting is HORRIBLE TERRIBLE INTOLERABLE when reaching 70 mph+ Checkout the youtube video and see for yourself.
  • Need to be extra careful with braking. I don't know what causes this, but sometimes when I brake heavily on some uneven surface, the car will suddenly shift to the left.
  • Suspension and sway bar is SOFT. I am used to Porsche GT suspensions- hard and ultra quick turn in with minimal body roll. Emira utilizes a much softer suspension set up so It needs a lot of guts to trust the car when cornering. The car's grip is there and you just need to lean extra hard on the outer wheels.
  • I wish it has 7200 RPM redline. The power is there, but the tail speed is definitely not as fast as similar horsepower and weight cars. For example, at the end of the straight, a A91 Supra or a 718 GT4 is at least 5 mph faster than the Emira.
  • Shifting. Driver needs to be very precise and make sure it is in the gate. I was on a hot lap and beating my PB by 1.5 sec at the penultimate corner, my downshift from 3 to 2 was in-and-out from the gate and I lost a sec there.
I am still getting used to the Emira. It is such a beautiful car and a super fun car to drive. As a driver, I need to improve my driving skills to squeeze the time out of it. In comparison, Porsches are so easy to drive fast.

Amazing looking track with nice elevation changes and good runoff. Looks like fun.

Brake pull to the left feels like something to get checked out. Can’t be normal.

Thanks for posting your track day impressions! I've got a track day coming up, so it's good to hear about how the car performed for you.

The car does occasionally dive to one side under braking and vice versa under hard acceleration. It's caught me off guard a few times. Not sure what it is, maybe some gyroscopic or torque-steer effect from the transversely mounted drivetrain?

Kyle Conner also mentioned it in his review here:

I agree with everything OP mentioned and the track footage looks awesome with all the elevation changes. Trying to get myself back up to the PNW by the end of next year so I can enjoy some proper mountain roads and proper track days at Ridge Motorsports Park.

Last edited:
Here are some track photos:
IMG_4915.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2288.jpeg
    IMG_2288.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2294.jpeg
    IMG_2294.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4979.jpeg
    IMG_4979.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 22
I feel better that I'm not the only person brave enough to own two new British vehicles. :cool:

ORP is one of my favorite tracks, like it better than the ridge ... like you said, very technical, off cambers, elevation change, good run offs, so much fun. Headed there soon but still waiting on Emira so will be another car. Will keep an eye out at those tracks for you

Hi all,
After 3 years of wait, I finally took delivery of the Emira this May. It wasn't a very smooth experience as my steering pump was broken and the dealer need to replace it during the PDI process. But since then, I didn't really have any significant issues with my DV Emira. I am creating a track-focused journal to document my trips with the Lotus to different tracks in the US.
My initial thoughts of the car:
Handling is superb as the steering feedback is the best among all the cars I have driven. The seat is okay- I think it's too bulky. The shifter is very mechanical and requires high driving skills to master the up and downshifts. I love the pedal placement tho as it is so easy to heel-and-toe. The suspension is very compliant despite it is a sport setup with cup 2 tires. The engine is unique and on the road is more than fast enough.
Overall, I am very happy with the car right out of the box.

After the ppf, 1000 mile break-in, and the first oil change. I took the Emira to the track. Oh boy...

My first track impression:
I first took the Emira to the Oregon Raceway Park. I actually trailered the car there. You know, it's a Lotus, and if it is broken, ORP is 5 hours away from my home. ORP is very technical track with huge elevation change and thrilling on-and-off camber and blind corners. The Emira showed incredible grip. I am going to summarize some good and bads below:
The Goods:
  • Engine sounds incredible and I didn't experience any significant overheating issues. The temperature was around 84 F and sunny.
  • Handling is incredibly precise. I can feel where the grip is and when it will let go.
  • Throttle response is instantaneous.
  • So easy to heel-and-toe.
The Bads:
  • Wind Buffeting is HORRIBLE TERRIBLE INTOLERABLE when reaching 70 mph+ Checkout the youtube video and see for yourself.
  • Need to be extra careful with braking. I don't know what causes this, but sometimes when I brake heavily on some uneven surface, the car will suddenly shift to the left.
  • Suspension and sway bar is SOFT. I am used to Porsche GT suspensions- hard and ultra quick turn in with minimal body roll. Emira utilizes a much softer suspension set up so It needs a lot of guts to trust the car when cornering. The car's grip is there and you just need to lean extra hard on the outer wheels.
  • I wish it has 7200 RPM redline. The power is there, but the tail speed is definitely not as fast as similar horsepower and weight cars. For example, at the end of the straight, a A91 Supra or a 718 GT4 is at least 5 mph faster than the Emira.
  • Shifting. Driver needs to be very precise and make sure it is in the gate. I was on a hot lap and beating my PB by 1.5 sec at the penultimate corner, my downshift from 3 to 2 was in-and-out from the gate and I lost a sec there.
I am still getting used to the Emira. It is such a beautiful car and a super fun car to drive. As a driver, I need to improve my driving skills to squeeze the time out of it. In comparison, Porsches are so easy to drive fast.

Thanks for sharing, very impressive. Looking forward to seeing you bring it to the Ridge Motorsports Park for testing.

Awesome! Did you do any modifications like brake pads or brake fluid? Or was it 100% stock?
Good Question! I forgot to mention I had SRF brake fluid and Ferodo DS 3.12 pads (same size and shape as the Evora GT).
The stock US spec are brembo 2500 or some very street-ish compound and I didn't want to waste them by burning them out in 2 track days. So I saved the OEM pads and swapped for the DS 3.12 front and rear. In retrospective, I would go for DS 1.11 because 3.12 is definitely overkill for Cup 2 level tires. I will try A052 and see how it pairs with the 3.12.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back