• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

UK i4 Update

I tend to run around in sport using the manual shift. I’ve found it pretty quick and slick. The only issue I found was first to second can need higher revs than I’d expect so it occasionally ignores me.

Hi Eveyone,

First time posting. I have had a number of elises and exiges in the past and am looking at Emeras as well as Cayman GT4. For those of you with i4s how is the shifting in manual. All of the initial reviews (from August 23) mentioned they were sluggish but it would be good to hear from those who are driving the cars. How does it compare to PDK?

Thanks
Absolutely perfect, near instant especially in sport or track mode, you won’t be disappointed, blips the throttle on the downshifts aswel so sound sweet….😀

Interesting, thanks. I wonder why the press are still complaining about it. The latest vid from petrol ped demonstrates it, but it is almost like he is trying to catch it out rather than driving normally

Several people have commented on hearing the turbo intake and blow off sounds. Maybe I'm just not ragging it enough yet or maybe I'm a bit deaf but I'm not hearing it!

Interesting, thanks. I wonder why the press are still complaining about it. The latest vid from petrol ped demonstrates it, but it is almost like he is trying to catch it out rather than driving normally
I'd agree with your comments about the Petrol Ped video, he's found a way to demonstrate a delay but it is certainly disingenuous to put out the implication that all manual downshifts are like that. I can get similar shift times but I've got to actively try to do so. Some shifts do seem to be almost instant, some are a little slower, but they're all much faster than I could do if it was a manual box.

As to why it's still complained about, I don't know, but car wise I'm coming up into the Emira rather than across/down from other sportscars or supercars so my reference point is perhaps different to some of the reviewers

I would say it's similar to the DCT in my RS3 and slightly slower than the one I had in my E90 M3. Overall it seems perfectly adequate. I'm glad I didn't get put off by those early reviews. I can only assume that they've addressed those issues in the time we were waiting.

I'd agree with your comments about the Petrol Ped video, he's found a way to demonstrate a delay but it is certainly disingenuous to put out the implication that all manual downshifts are like that. I can get similar shift times but I've got to actively try to do so. Some shifts do seem to be almost instant, some are a little slower, but they're all much faster than I could do if it was a manual box.

As to why it's still complained about, I don't know, but car wise I'm coming up into the Emira rather than across/down from other sportscars or supercars so my reference point is perhaps different to some of the reviewers
The way I understand it (it may have changed since their early days of dsg etc. is that the transmission pre selects a gear based on your driving. If you do something unexpected (e.g change down under constant throttle or whilst accelerating) it will have pre selected the wrong gear and there is a delay while it switches. Maybe that is what we are seeing in that video?

I test drove the i4 a few weeks ago and was looking for issues with the manual changes but did not really notice any. Just a bit concerned that it keeps coming up in reviews.

Several people have commented on hearing the turbo intake and blow off sounds. Maybe I'm just not ragging it enough yet or maybe I'm a bit deaf but I'm not hearing it!
You can hear it more sat in the passenger seat if someone else driving, turbo must be on the nearside of the engine!

LOL - I'll ask my wife about it then. Her hearing is better than mine too!
I notice the turbo and dump valve a lot more if I open the passenger window so I'm pretty sure it breathes from that side. Sounds great too I have to say.

I’m a bit deaf after too many years at rock concerts whist younger. However if you try hard you can hear the wastegate, wind it up and change gear near may revs or simply let off the accelerator quickly….open the windows ….there are some nice 4 cylinder pops and bangs as well.