Upgraded Intercooler

675430VME

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
An upgraded intercooler helps a great deal, intake temperature cuts in half from 80 to less than 40, outside temperature is around 35 degree.

I expect this might be a necessary pre-req for any ECU tuning beyond 400bhp if the heat rumours are to be believed. Was this a custom build for the Emira or is it a straight swap for the stock AMG M139 intercooler?

Have you noticed an increase in HP/speed?
It would be interesting to see a comparison of the before and after dyno printouts, ideally on the same graph. It is always a juggling act to get an intercooler that lowers the temps but not too far that the boost drops. It is worth persuing on the i4 considering the temp issues.

I'm interested to see how this goes and the gains you make. Nice to see owners trialing new things, that will benefit others in the long run.

intercooler that lowers the temps but not too far that the boost drops
To be honest I was a little surprised at the quoted drop in intake temps. Given the sophistication of the AMG engine, it's strange that there's so much room for improvement with the intercooler. The replacement unit would need to be considerably larger in volume to achieve that given the size and location of the air intakes are a limiting factor.

In my Impreza days, one of the early mods was to move the intercooler from under the top scoop to the front grille. There was only so much that could be done to improve temps with scoop airflow and heat soak from the engine just below.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back