• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

US warranty

SJones

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I was at our local dealer having ( what else) warranty issues delt with. I mentioned to the service manager and salesman that I had never had a hard copy of the actual warranty given to me among the sales documents and owners manuals. I had been told at the time that warranty info was online and I should refer to that. The warranty info that comes up on the Lotus web site for the Emira state 3 years with unlimited mileage. It also states the paint is covered for 5 years and the chassis is covered for 8, but curiously the latter two mention only the Electre- not the Emira even though it’s on the Emira site. The service manager told me he thought it was an across the board warranty for all models but promised to confirm so I could have a hard copy of it. Several hours later he found me and stated that Lotus US had told him that the Lotus web site warranty information was actually only for the Netherlands, and that the US warranty was strictly 36 months and / 36000 miles. No additional paint or chassis warranty was applicable to the US. Don’t know if this is accurate but two staff at my dealer were told the same thing by Lotus US.

So I was at our local dealer having ( what else) warranty issues delt with. I mentioned to the service manager and salesman that I had never had a hard copy of the actual warranty given to me among the sales documents and owners manuals. I had been told at the time that warranty info was online and I should refer to that. The warranty info that comes up on the Lotus web site for the Emira state 3 years with unlimited mileage. It also states the paint is covered for 5 years and the chassis is covered for 8, but curiously the latter two mention only the Electre- not the Emira even though it’s on the Emira site. The service manager told me he thought it was an across the board warranty for all models but promised to confirm so I could have a hard copy of it. Several hours later he found me and stated that Lotus US had told him that the Lotus web site warranty information was actually only for the Netherlands, and that the US warranty was strictly 36 months and / 36000 miles. No additional paint or chassis warranty was applicable to the US. Don’t know if this is accurate but two staff at my dealer were told the same thing by Lotus US.
Surely the paint warranty would be longer?
I can’t see the different because a paint issue here in the UK and one in the US.

Yeah, that's no good. We're going to need something in writing.

Can anyone tell me why Lotus would install Launch Control if they say using it voids the warranty:

IMG_1231.jpeg

It’s true. Warranty link here: https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/emira-handbook

are folks considering buying the extended warranty considering all of the ongoing issues people are posting? It's hard to gauge how common these issues are but between Facebook and this forum there seem to be a lot of recurrent issues. I was hoping much of this would have been resolved since its been out for a while in Europe. I believe I heard extended warranty around 5k for 4 or 5 more years of coverage. Does this seem about right?

are folks considering buying the extended warranty considering all of the ongoing issues people are posting? It's hard to gauge how common these issues are but between Facebook and this forum there seem to be a lot of recurrent issues. I was hoping much of this would have been resolved since its been out for a while in Europe. I believe I heard extended warranty around 5k for 4 or 5 more years of coverage. Does this seem about right?
I went with extended warranty. 5 more years about 5k depending on deductible. I plan on keeping the car long term. Worst case it is transferable with the car.

Well... I'm 12 days away from hitting the 3 year mark, but my car is FINALLY at the dealership! Which brings up the question of extended warranty... Dealer is offering one, but it runs CONCURRENTLY with the factory warranty... So a 5 year extended warranty is actually only cover the car 2 years out of its factory warranty... at a cost of $3500..

Anyone else seeing the value in this? That would mean basically $1750 a year for warranty coverage on a 4-5 year old car... I've never purchased any extended warranty on a car, but then I've never purchased a Lotus ;)

That doesn't sound like an amazing deal. Does it extend the coverage for things that don't have the stock three years?

That doesn't sound like an amazing deal. Does it extend the coverage for things that don't have the stock three years?
no, its Fidelity Platinum, which appears to be through dealers only, and mimics our "bumper to bumper", no wear items, etc...

Seems I'd be better off deciding to buy an extended warranty maybe closer to the 3 years running out from a 3rd party?

no, its Fidelity Platinum, which appears to be through dealers only, and mimics our "bumper to bumper", no wear items, etc...

Seems I'd be better off deciding to buy an extended warranty maybe closer to the 3 years running out from a 3rd party?
I recall being able to buy the extended warranty right before the factory warranty period ends…You should consider confirming…If correct, I’d wait to buy it.

I bought it for peace of mind, it extends the factory warranty to 8 years. With everything we have read about the problems with the Emira I felt it was like insurance. I bought one for my wife's Porsche which I feel now would not have been necessary, but I have never owned any other vehicles besides Toyota and Lexus which I never bought warranties.

I recall being able to buy the extended warranty right before the factory warranty period ends…You should consider confirming…If correct, I’d wait to buy it.
Yes you can, but supposedly it is more expensive at that time plus my luck would be I would miss the date and the car blows up the next day. :ROFLMAO:

I bought it for peace of mind, it extends the factory warranty to 8 years. With everything we have read about the problems with the Emira I felt it was like insurance. I bought one for my wife's Porsche which I feel now would not have been necessary, but I have never owned any other vehicles besides Toyota and Lexus which I never bought warranties.
to get to 8 years, i'd have to buy the 8 years (since the first 3 are concurrent with factory) at a cost of 10K.... hmmm

to get to 8 years, i'd have to buy the 8 years (since the first 3 are concurrent with factory) at a cost of 10K.... hmmm
The car comes with 3 years, the extended adds 5 more years to the original 3 years for a total of 8 years from date of purchase.

I don't have my Emira yet, but I have dealt with extended warranty purchase for my previous cars (Audi). It was between safe-guard and more well known fidelity (often re-branded under manufacturer's name). IIRC at the time, purchasing safe-guard was retroactive from the original in-service date at 0-miles (super-lame), while fidelity starts the day of purchase; both run concurrently with the original warranty. The car's VIN will be in a national database so any dealer can pull it up.

I also went through a broker instead of the dealer so you can buy it anytime after, so I waited until the last year of a 4-year manufacturer warranty before purchasing. Obviously cost vary by car, but at the time I learned the warranty pricing is updated every calendar year and all plans went by n-years/n-mileage + varying deductible (went with Fidelity Platinum and $100 deductible).

Fortunately I didn't need to use the warranty at all, but did give me a peace of mind after owning it for 9 years. However Audi's dealer network is way more available than Lotus and I'm not so sure what Louts will decide for their dealership model in the future. I'd personally wait after a year or two in before purchasing the extended warranty. Likely it will cost more, but since it's mileage dependent, probably won't be too bad if it isn't your daily car.

Oh one last note, there was the ability to cancel the coverage with a pro-rated refund minus $50 fee, but I'm not sure if that's still available.

Well... I'm 12 days away from hitting the 3 year mark, but my car is FINALLY at the dealership! Which brings up the question of extended warranty... Dealer is offering one, but it runs CONCURRENTLY with the factory warranty... So a 5 year extended warranty is actually only cover the car 2 years out of its factory warranty... at a cost of $3500..

Anyone else seeing the value in this? That would mean basically $1750 a year for warranty coverage on a 4-5 year old car... I've never purchased any extended warranty on a car, but then I've never purchased a Lotus ;)
Doesn’t sound like a good deal….for me. May be OK for you. If you finance through a credit union they will likely offer you something better. Worth looking at. Also read the contract, the powertrain and emissions system are very solid. Not really worth worrying about.

All this talk has confused me so I went and reread my extended warranty contract. My contract states my car is covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles from the purchase date of 6/8/24. If it ran concurrent that would mean it would only be 5 years or 50,000 from date of purchase?

Doesn’t sound like a good deal….for me. May be OK for you. If you finance through a credit union they will likely offer you something better. Worth looking at. Also read the contract, the powertrain and emissions system are very solid. Not really worth worrying about.
Yeah, I'm gonna skip it, and see how many issues I may (or may not) have in the first 2 years.
Not financing it so can't ask a credit union, but that's good advice for someone who may be in a similar boat...