• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA Emira Owners - Issue Severity Poll

For USA Emira owners, how extensive have your issues with your cars been?

• I've had no, few or minor issues and been to the dealer for service infrequently or not at all

Votes: 61 91.0%
  • I've had many significant/major issues and been to the dealer for service several or many times

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
Same. It's not bothered me enough for me to go to the dealer about it.

That said, what is the fix for it? Or is there none?
I heard a software update? But I thought my SW was up to date and I still have it. Super minor. But annoying nonetheless.

Delivery 5/31. Build #1904. 1200 miles. V6 MT, touring suspension.

Weather strip at the back edge of the front hood came loose. Double stick carpet tape fixed it.

Bluetooth connects every time. No popping in speakers.

I love it. Go find a FE and don't wait a year!!!!
IMG_0273.jpeg

Same. It's not bothered me enough for me to go to the dealer about it.

That said, what is the fix for it? Or is there none?
Apparently if you get an ECU update it fixes the issue...but closest dealer is not close at all so I just deal with it.

I've participated in this interesting survey, but I'm curious to know how many respondents have "early manufactured" Emira's, as opposed to ones that rolled off the production line at a much later date (like mine). My sense is that a lot of the early cars, had more glitches with many of those glitches worked out, as time went on. Thankfully, I'm in the camp of "no real problems"...for example, even today after driving in POURING rain (mine is a "daily driver") all systems are still "go". After almost 3 months and about 3,000 km I've had no software updates and never gone back to the dealer. Admittedly not a lot of miles but I'm ++ happy not only with the driving experience, but its reliability so far.

All that said, this is a skewed survey, since only those who are on the Forum participate, then it's whittled down even more, to only those who choose to respond. Ideally, we'd get a JD Power-type survey of new Emira car owners in their first 3 years of ownership, surveying a much greater number of owners at random. I suspect no Lotus will qualify for the JD Power survey, given the low production run for the Emira, but I'd be happy to have JD Power prove me wrong!

Also, although your poll is certainly encouraging, don't forget about the "adverse selection" aspect of forums. Most folks are here because they needed a specific answer at one point. However, you will notice as many folks talking about painting the numbers on their shift knob as complaining about odd quality issues.

It's a substantially handbuilt car, made by blokes in England. Is it going to be Lexus LC reliable? Probably not. Is it going to threaten to barbecue you during every drive like a Ferrari F355? Probably not. For many owners, it will be a lightly finicky but rewarding weekend car for a pure driving experience but fewer sacrifices than a Caterham or Exige. It's a mature Lotus, but it's still a Lotus. And if you're not sure, test drive one. If you're still not sure, buy a 718 GTS 4.0.
“Threaten to barbecue you during every drive like a F355”…… 😂 too funny. Lol

Hi folks - I've been obsessed with the Emira since I first learned about it years ago and have recently been on the fence about buying an orphaned V6 Manual FE. This forum has been very helpful, but seeing all the problems with the cars has been disheartening.

I would like to know if later production USA cars have had as many issues as the earlier production cars delivered in Europe. I know we've had less time with the cars here in the USA, but I thought it would be good to get a poll of how extensive USA issues have been which might help me make a decision and better understand if the production QA has improved for 2024 USA deliveries. My nearest dealer is a 2.5 hour drive away, so servicing the car would be a significant ordeal for me. I'm leaning toward waiting another year and ordering a base model in the hope a lot of these issues are ironed out by then, even if it means getting a Turbo-4 vs a V6, which I could be OK with. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

Thanks USA owners for taking the time to respond. Let me know if you think I should change the poll details to make it more effective (if I can edit after posting) - tried to keep it simple but hopefully still informative.
I genuinely feel sorry for anyone that has been unfortunate enough to have endured any serious problems with their Emira. Must be dreadful.

Speaking from my own experience though, my 3.5 MT has been perfect. I’m so impressed with it. It’s still only done 1,850 miles and I drive it sensibly and don’t take it on the track, but I do open the taps and throw it around in the country lanes of south England when I get the chance. There are a few minor design choices which Lotus made and which I would question but I knew they existed before I bought the car so don’t think I can complain. Nothing that I am not happy to live with. I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
My Emira's been in the shop for 2 weeks because it only blows A/C on the windshield. Lotus service is living up to its brutal reputation: On a scale of bad (1) to fucking awful (10) its an 11. Car could be there for a month to fix the issue. Car is 2 moths old...I knew the company was pathetic, I just didn't want to believe it.