V6 auto or i4 DCT

jamesgareth

Reaction score
A very good afternoon to one and all.

I am kinda new here so apologies if you've raked through this topic a million times - I've looked and can't see anything much but if there is please provide a link and I will leave you all in peace.

So I found £45K behind the sofa and together with my hard earned savings I have around the required £65K to get me into one of these cars. I took a look at one last year but they wanted £85K then.

How times change.

So - I'm old - old-ish (64 to you). With a slightly dodgy left knee (due to WAY too much football and squash). This doesn't mean I can't drive a manual - I test rode an Emira manual version last week and got on OK (loved the car of course) - but that was for a few minutes - not every day. So I have some concern that longer term my knee just won't like the manual.

So then of course - which auto to go for (assuming I do go the auto route which is no certainty - most people out in internet land seem to say the manual is the one to go for - with or without a dodgy knee).

Which is where you come in...

Anybody here got any actual experience - that does not include watching youtube videos - of these two autos? Of course I like the sound of the V6 but the drawback there of course is that the auto box on that is not dual clutch. I currently drive a Scirocco R DSG box which is great - so to go back a generation techology wise...... not sure I'm going to like that - I mean how bad are those old non-dual clutch automatics?

I tested an 07 Vantage with a sports shift and hated it. Like how anybody could put up with that is beyond me.

How bad/good are the V6 3.5L auto boxes?

How bad/good is the i4 auto box?

Anybody?

Last edited:
A very good afternoon to one and all.

I am kinda new here so apologies if you've raked through this topic a million times - I've looked and can't see anything much but if there is please provide a link and I will leave you all in peace.

So I found £45K behind the sofa and together with my hard earned savings I have around the required £65K to get me into one of these cars. I took a look at one last year but they wanted £85K then.

How times change.

So - I'm old - old-ish (64 to you). With a slightly dodgy left knee (due to WAY too much football and squash). This doesn't mean I can't drive a manual - I test rode an Emira manual version last week and got on OK (loved the car of course) - but that was for a few minutes - not every day. So I have some concern that longer term my knee just won't like the manual.

So then of course - which auto to go for (assuming I do go the auto route which is no certainty - most people out in internet land seem to say the manual is the one to go for - with or without a dodgy knee).

Which is where you come in...

Anybody here got any actual experience - that does not include watching youtube videos - of these two autos? Of course I like the sound of the V6 but the drawback there of course is that the auto box on that is not dual clutch. I currently drive a Scirocco R DSG box which is great - so to go back a generation techology wise...... not sure I'm going to like that - I mean how bad are those old non-dual clutch automatics?

I tested an 07 Vantage with a sports shift and hated it. Like how anybody could put up with that is beyond me.

How bad/good are the V6 3.5L auto boxes?

How bad/good is the i4 auto box?

Anybody?
The problem when you ask a question like this is your unlikely to get an unbiased answer, as you can see already from the reply's, V6 owners are going to say the V6 is the one to get and i4 owners are going to say the same about the i4. I really think you need to try and get a drive in both and see what your gut instinct is. I would think getting a test drive in an i4 would be fairly easy from your local dealer however the auto v6 might be a bit harder due to their rarity, either way they're all great cars and you wont be disappointed with which ever you go for.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back