• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Visible manual linkage

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi,

I was really close to closing a deal on a manual emira and I found something really odd! As we all know the emira supposed to have a visible manual linkage but for some odd reason I found one for sale where it isn’t!
Is it something normal or odd ? I sent an email to the dealer and waiting to see what they say but what do you guys think ? I’ll add a pic from the site, and yes it’s from both sides I check haha

Attachments

• 104608C0-E253-44EB-9506-36B6D4A43798.jpeg
    104608C0-E253-44EB-9506-36B6D4A43798.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 216
Before everyone panics, I suspect it will be possible to remove the solid cover (or mesh cover) and leave the mechanism totally exposed. I also have a suspicion that we will be able to remove the leather boot to have direct visibility of the mechanism from the top as well.

The mesh cover is likely to be available as a spare part too.
Agreed, it was really odd to me what he said, I don’t see a reason to design 2 different gear linkages, that’s what creates the feel of the gear change meaning if they change the internals it would feel differently something I’m certain they don’t want to change, hence why I believe what the dealer said isn’t the case.

I can confirm that my dealer has a demo car with linkage cover and my car (and another customer car) did not have the cover but the mesh instead. I sat in the demo car and fiddled around the cover to get an impression and it seemed very easy to be removed. It may just be clipped into in fact. I could feel some play when rattling on it and it consists of two parts, one from each side of the linkage.

Be aware when dealers are offering demo cars, to my knowledge they are not allowed to sell them (yet?)

I don’t understand , so both car sold in Netherlands , one with mesh and one with cover??
The blue one came first as demo, with mesh-shift........
The yellow one came some weeks later, was already assigned month's before arrival as sold .......has a full cover-shift.....

I fully believe the mesh is meant to be removed. Not officially, but with a wink. Solid panel shouldn’t be any harder to remove.

My other question is, if I remove the leather shift boot can I see the linkage go straight through the console like these Elige peek-a-boo kits…

C04C49BA-28E6-4574-BF73-25D8FA3AF66B.jpeg

I fully believe the mesh is meant to be removed. Not officially, but with a wink. Solid panel shouldn’t be any harder to remove.

My other question is, if I remove the leather shift boot can I see the linkage go straight through the console like these Elige peek-a-boo kits…

View attachment 10150
The solid cover and mesh and leather gaiter are all removable. I think it’s likely to need some small trim pieces to replace the edges of each. But someone will have 3D printed ones soon after cars start being delivered.

Before everyone panics, I suspect it will be possible to remove the solid cover (or mesh cover) and leave the mechanism totally exposed. I also have a suspicion that we will be able to remove the leather boot to have direct visibility of the mechanism from the top as well.

The mesh cover is likely to be available as a spare part too.

I plan to remove the leather boot myself and possibly paint match the shifter trim.

I wouldn't be so quick to remove it if Lotus had a nice quality Alcantara with deviated stitch like I hoped for. The Evora GT boot was really nice. The Emira's is just plain leather.

I plan to remove the leather boot myself and possibly paint match the shifter trim.

I wouldn't be so quick to remove it if Lotus had a nice quality Alcantara with deviated stitch like I hoped for. The Evora GT boot was really nice. The Emira's is just plain leather.
I'm sure if you took the boot off you could get it re-stitched easily enough.

I can confirm that my dealer has a demo car with linkage cover and my car (and another customer car) did not have the cover but the mesh instead. I sat in the demo car and fiddled around the cover to get an impression and it seemed very easy to be removed. It may just be clipped into in fact. I could feel some play when rattling on it and it consists of two parts, one from each side of the linkage.

Be aware when dealers are offering demo cars, to my knowledge they are not allowed to sell them (yet?)
Yes of course, it’s not a demo car, they have 3 cars on order and I chose one of them instead of the one in stock as it would work better in terms of delivery and me being able to enjoy the car :)

Furthermore, it’s really promising to hear that almost certainly the cover won’t be an issue! I wonder if we could find someone who’s car will get delivered with one (even thou I hope no one will haha)