• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Way too much hot air with the windows down

I drive my cars with the windows down 95% of the time. It's pretty crazy to me that some people think not being able to drive with the windows down is just an acceptable characteristic of a car.
I don’t think people are arguing you never drive with the windows down- I think they are just saying it’s not a deal breaker and they deal with it. I do. But I totally get the grievance.

I don’t know. I would suggest if you are considering functional front splitters you pair it with a wing else you might be introducing imbalance to the downforce front and rear. No one wants a loose rear end. You can accommodate with suspension tuning etc, but things can get complicated. Emira stock already has a front spoiler of sorts. I’m sure it’s functional and part of the airflow design. If you never track it or take it near the limits I don’t think it will matter.
I initially notice the steering feeling lighter than usual somewhere north of 100mph. I have tracked the Emira and have another track event coming up soon. Yes, I am planning on doing the rear swan neck wing by JUBU but only if their front splitter makes any sense. I don’t intend on splurging on suspension mods, as I find the stock suspension to be absolutely amazing. I know Aerie and Carbon CT Designs have splitters too but they don’t come with the substructure that the JUBU one has. This is what makes me think that they’re not really all that functional and are mostly for looks—but what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well…. On the other side of this, when it is cold out I bet that heat will feel great when the windows are down.

It’s just a characteristic of the car and design…not a big deal
I think Lotus should do a total recall and redesign the bodywork and aero. We know they will have it done in no time at all. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I initially notice the steering feeling lighter than usual somewhere north of 100mph. I have tracked the Emira and have another track event coming up soon. Yes, I am planning on doing the rear swan neck wing by JUBU but only if their front splitter makes any sense. I don’t intend on splurging on suspension mods, as I find the stock suspension to be absolutely amazing. I know Aerie and Carbon CT Designs have splitters too but they don’t come with the substructure that the JUBU one has. This is what makes me think that they’re not really all that functional and are mostly for looks—but what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I wouldn't get a rear wing without a front splitter because they are designed to work together and you could argue the front of a Emira is already pretty light.

I previously had talks with a Cup racing engineer in the UK and he stated exactly that regarding functional vs appearance. I got him to look at the available offerings and he said the JUBU kit had the only items he would use if building a track car. The front of the car where the splitters attach is not strong enough to have a splitter that creates downforce without flexing and the reason the JUBU slitter is a massive unit. You only have to look at the picture of the JUBU swan neck rear wing with a driver stood on it to see how solid the build quality is. I had a Porsche 944 Turbo with a wing and I am sure that would of ripped off if i attempted to stand on it. The rear wing is based on the Evora GT wing and the front splitter is bespoke, both having been the result of many prototypes derived from track times. I was surprised when I asked if they were doing side skirts and was told there wa no point as it would disrupt the air flow and just be added weight.
I would like to get both myself but it will be later in the year because in the UK it's nearly £8500 delivered and I am already just about to order some Aerie V2 wheels for some decent weight saving.

I wouldn't get a rear wing without a front splitter because they are designed to work together and you could argue the front of a Emira is already pretty light.

I previously had talks with a Cup racing engineer in the UK and he stated exactly that regarding functional vs appearance. I got him to look at the available offerings and he said the JUBU kit had the only items he would use if building a track car. The front of the car where the splitters attach is not strong enough to have a splitter that creates downforce without flexing and the reason the JUBU slitter is a massive unit. You only have to look at the picture of the JUBU swan neck rear wing with a driver stood on it to see how solid the build quality is. I had a Porsche 944 Turbo with a wing and I am sure that would of ripped off if i attempted to stand on it. The rear wing is based on the Evora GT wing and the front splitter is bespoke, both having been the result of many prototypes derived from track times. I was surprised when I asked if they were doing side skirts and was told there wa no point as it would disrupt the air flow and just be added weight.
I would like to get both myself but it will be later in the year because in the UK it's nearly £8500 delivered and I am already just about to order some Aerie V2 wheels for some decent weight saving.
You just helped sell at least one kit. This is exactly the type of quality response I was hoping for. Granted, it’s a crazy amount of money, but you get what you pay for. Thanks, buddy!

For anyone who hasn't 'popped the hood' yet, allow my bad digital crayon work to show the issue regarding warm vent air even on cool days. Red arrows show the air flow at radiator-exit temp. Blue arrows show the theoretical "fresh air" inlet for the HVAC. Are there speeds at which the HVAC might be able to draw cool air that is untainted by the hot stuff? Maybe. There is a seal on the hood that attempts to create somewhat of a barrier around the HVAC inlet (second pic). But it might be as effective as a small no-smoking section in a restaurant. (or better yet, a no-peeing section in a swimming pool).

1000002096.jpg

1000002097.jpg

It is very noticeable at 25-40 mph…Drive with your hand just outside the window and you will find cool air above the midpoint of the window opening and hot air at the bottom of the window opening. Huge temperature difference.
I noticed that after just a few days with mine. AC maxed out couldn't keep up with the heat coming in the cabin from the front vents. Stupid design. Would love a solution for it

I noticed that after just a few days with mine. AC maxed out couldn't keep up with the heat coming in the cabin from the front vents. Stupid design. Would love a solution for it
I haven’t had an issue with the AC itself. Was this with recirculation on or off? If not, try again with recirculation on, which should make a world of difference for the AC.

I've had the same issue. Outside temp 60 degrees F, windows up, temp control turned all the way down, and nothing but hot air coming through the vents. My AC works great, but shouldn't need it with 60 degree outside temp.

I've had the same issue. Outside temp 60 degrees F, windows up, temp control turned all the way down, and nothing but hot air coming through the vents. My AC works great, but shouldn't need it with 60 degree outside temp.
That sucks but I think this thread is about the heat coming from the radiator into the window when rolled down. Your issue has a TSB for water intrusion.

That sucks but I think this thread is about the heat coming from the radiator into the window when rolled down. Your issue has a TSB for water intrusion.
I understand and will check with the dealer, but do you know how water intrusion affects the outside air ventilation?

I understand and will check with the dealer, but do you know how water intrusion affects the outside air ventilation?
I do not. If I understand, your issue is you receive warm air through the vent when the AC is off and “vent” is selected. Seems likely the air intake is under the bonnet where it’s already hot as hell. I would just select AC at a low temperature and uncheck recirculate. That will bring fresh cool air into the cabin.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back