Way too much hot air with the windows down

R35_J

Reaction score
So I usually drive all of my cars with the windows down. It seems impossible to do in the Emira and this is the first time I've ever encountered this.

With the windows down all the hot air from the hood/radiator blows straight into the car. The AC at full blast can't over power that hot air either. Anyone come up with a solution for this. Literally the first time I've encountered this in the over 15 cars I've owned.

Breaking News: Having your windows down in 100 degree heat will heat the inside of the car up.
Maybe you can't read? It's the hot air coming from the hood/radiator. I drove two of my other cars today with the windows down and didn't experience this.

Maybe you can't read? It's the hot air coming from the hood/radiator. I drove two of my other cars today with the windows down and didn't experience this.
Breaking news: Hot air is hot.
Late Breaking Solution: Roll up windows.

In all seriousness, it's just the design of the car. I would say some 3d printed materials could potentially redirect the flow.

I drive with the windows down 95% of the time and I can’t say I’ve noticed this.

I posted an identical thread a few days ago…

When I drive with the windows down I have AC on 1 and it’s fine. Weird to turn on AC with windows down but I do it in my convertible sometimes too. I cannot do the half window roll down thing. I always get lines on my windows when rolling back up and my OCD will not stand for it.

I've been driving with the windows down quite a bit recently, especially in the morning when the air is cool and crisp. I did not get the sense that the car gets hot at all. This was at local speeds, though - 30-45mph. Are those who are experiencing hot flashes doing so at high way speeds?

You're honestly an idiot. This literally doesn't happen in any of the other 15 cars I've owned. It's virtually impossible to drive the Emira with the windows down.
Late Breaking News!: Man thinks hot air can defy physics and not enter rolled down windows.

I've been driving with the windows down quite a bit recently, especially in the morning when the air is cool and crisp. I did not get the sense that the car gets hot at all. This was at local speeds, though - 30-45mph. Are those who are experiencing hot flashes doing so at high way speeds?
I've noticed that the air coming through the vents, with air temp at lowest setting and AC off, is MUCH warmer than the outside temp. I prefer the performance without AC and should be able to when the outside temp is in the low 60's using just vents, but can't because it's unbearable.

I've noticed that the air coming through the vents, with air temp at lowest setting and AC off, is MUCH warmer than the outside temp. I prefer the performance without AC and should be able to when the outside temp is in the low 60's using just vents, but can't because it's unbearable.
Oh I see. I guess I have not tried that extensively. I usually leave the AC on even with the windows open.

So I usually drive all of my cars with the windows down. It seems impossible to do in the Emira and this is the first time I've ever encountered this.

With the windows down all the hot air from the hood/radiator blows straight into the car. The AC at full blast can't over power that hot air either. Anyone come up with a solution for this. Literally the first time I've encountered this in the over 15 cars I've owned.
You can tell that the Emira has arrived in the US now, in the UK if we drive with the windows down we just get wet.

I did a 7 hour drive at the weekend with the windows down in relatively warm UK weather but didn't notice this... I did notice that the aircon had packed in, which is why the windows were down.

I
I did a 7 hour drive at the weekend with the windows down in relatively warm UK weather but didn't notice this... I did notice that the aircon had packed in, which is why the windows were down.
If you know someone with an Emira where the aircon hasn't packed in you also know someone whose Emira hasn't been out in the rain much and whose aircon WILL pack in as soon as they do!

It is very noticeable at 25-40 mph…Drive with your hand just outside the window and you will find cool air above the midpoint of the window opening and hot air at the bottom of the window opening. Huge temperature difference.

It is very noticeable at 25-40 mph…Drive with your hand just outside the window and you will find cool air above the midpoint of the window opening and hot air at the bottom of the window opening. Huge temperature difference.
This!

I can back this up too. Just yesterday, I went for a 3-hour spirited drive. Temp outside was between 80-86F. I drove with the windows down ~95% of the time. Speeds were mostly below 50mph. I drove barefoot (since I was wearing sandals), and my feet were cooking!! Definitely not something that happens in other cars I’ve had. I ended up blowing AC to my feet due to how hot it was. …and yes, it was way hotter than ambient temp.

Back