• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Wet weather

dobber82

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I drove the car yesterday. It was fairly wet out, and I was driving cautiously. However, when I was coming off a roundabout on an uphill dual carriageway in third gear at about 30 mph, I put my foot down slightly—not too aggressively—and the car suddenly lost all traction and veered toward the other lane. Thankfully, the road was quiet, and I was able to regain control. After that, I drove the rest of the way home like I was a vicars wife!

My previous car was an Exige 350, which always felt rock-solid on the road, regardless of the weather and I did drive it in a lot of rain. I’ve driven plenty in the wet with fairly powerful cars, but I’ve never had something like this happen. At the time, I was in "Sport" mode.

How do you find it performs in wet conditions? Was this a one-off incident (perhaps something slippery like oil or fuel on the road), or am I expecting too much in these conditions? The car had been at Lotus and been valeted so wondering if there was some other lubricant that may have found its way onto the tyres!

I drove the car yesterday. It was fairly wet out, and I was driving cautiously. However, when I was coming off a roundabout on an uphill dual carriageway in third gear at about 30 mph, I put my foot down slightly—not too aggressively—and the car suddenly lost all traction and veered toward the other lane. Thankfully, the road was quiet, and I was able to regain control. After that, I drove the rest of the way home like I was a vicars wife!

My previous car was an Exige 350, which always felt rock-solid on the road, regardless of the weather and I did drive it in a lot of rain. I’ve driven plenty in the wet with fairly powerful cars, but I’ve never had something like this happen. At the time, I was in "Sport" mode.

How do you find it performs in wet conditions? Was this a one-off incident (perhaps something slippery like oil or fuel on the road), or am I expecting too much in these conditions? The car had been at Lotus and been valeted so wondering if there was some other lubricant that may have found its way onto the tyres!
You didn't mention the tires involved, nor road surface condition other than wet. Exhaust emissions can deposit an oil film on road surfaces that make wet roads perilous. Meanwhile Chris Harris thrashed the Emira about on a wet track (see YouTube) . I appreciate your concern, yet the Emira is supposed to be somewhat composed in those situations.

You didn't mention the tires involved, nor road surface condition other than wet. Exhaust emissions can deposit an oil film on road surfaces that make wet roads perilous. Meanwhile Chris Harris thrashed the Emira about on a wet track (see YouTube) . I appreciate your concern, yet the Emira is supposed to be somewhat composed in those situations.
Also, any chance you were over or under-inflated a bit?

Given I live in Scotland it’s typically cold / wet and have Goodyear F1 on car and very sticky in the wet. Never had any issues when flooring it / in corners etc

Naturally more careful feathering throttle on a bend or as straighten up as would in any rear wheel drive car.

If running Cup 2 then wouldn’t be surprised it stepped out. Plus road could have have other oil or other substances that made it more slippery than normal.

Perhaps just one of those freak moments

I have Goodyears and when I first bought it I was also out in the wet and came off a roundabout going up a slight gradient on a left handed bend and when I accelerated I lost traction and thought I was coming off the road. That was light throttle and to be honest probably my fault coming from Quattro to rear wheel drive without giving it the respect.

No matter how it happens it certainly does give you a seat staining moment. :ROFLMAO:

I have no interest driving in the wet so I would still go Cup 2 all the way.

Sorry, forgot to mention the tyres! Yes, Cup2's (not underinflated) ... I am going to take it generally as a bit of a freak moment as I am used to giving it a bit of respect coming from the Exige.

Thanks guys!

Sorry, forgot to mention the tyres! Yes, Cup2's (not underinflated) ... I am going to take it generally as a bit of a freak moment as I am used to giving it a bit of respect coming from the Exige.

Thanks guys!
Cup 2s are teribbleeee in the rain. I’ve read about horror stories with any rain so when I had them on my Evora GT and it rained, I chose not to drive the car that day

Thanks guys!
Yes, it sounds like you have it solved now, but I wanted to echo the sentiment and give my own feedback.

I picked up my Emira (tour/F1) during the torrential remnants of hurricane Francine, and drove it again this week in the aftermath of hurricane Helene. It was fine, except for one moment as I accelerated briskly while changing lanes across the crown of the road and it wanted to "glide" a bit.

In extreme downpour, I found it evacuated standing water quite well, to the point where I was passing most other folks without any white-knuckle behavior. It is more composed than most vehicles in the wet in my experience. I was more concerned about water ingress into the coils than I was about stuffing the car from bad behavior.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back