• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What do our American friends think of these?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Screenshot_20220921-103604_Auto Trader.jpg

Mustangs in general or the Mach 1?

A lot of people talk about the posters on their walls as kids, Mustang was mine. But I grew up in a “Ford family”.

By the time I was old enough to drive, other things began to catch my attention. I gravitated to Honda and eventually BMW. I think I got a little snobby at the time. You know at that age fast cars are all about girls, and the girls I liked liked BMWs lol. American muscle cars were a little too “good ol’ boy” for me, something I think I was running away from in my boondocks town. I still always preferred Mustang to Camaro or Challenger, and that’s still true.

I rented a Shelby Mustang for the Pacific Coast Highway, and it was mostly enjoyable but also felt like a big dumb sledgehammer but I guess that’s what people love about them. I also rented a 1965 to drive the Apache Trail in Arizona. That was a much more special experience, and something the new car doesn’t quite capture. I wish the new cars had the dimensions of the old cars, but it seems like everyone on this side of a Miata thinks that about their cars these days, Emira included.

I don’t know if it translates across the Atlantic, but in the states these cars have developed a meme reputation for running into crowds of people at car meets. Countless videos of people who have no idea how to handle RWD power lighting the tires up out of a Cars and Coffee and ending up in a roadside fence.

Candidly though I really like the way the new ones look. They feel too big to be sporty to me, but I’m obviously used to smaller things for smaller roads. They make good sense for big American highways but I wouldn’t want them for UK B-roads or tight Alpine passes.

7437CE96-F4ED-4BE4-B42C-136C48D2A90B.jpeg
E6616450-A96F-4C95-96DF-CCC877B6F278.jpeg

Last edited:

A lot of people talk about the posters on their walls as kids, Mustang was mine. But I grew up in a “Ford family”.

By the time I was old enough to drive, other things began to catch my attention. I gravitated to Honda and eventually BMW. I think I got a little snobby at the time. You know at that age fast cars are all about girls, and the girls I liked liked BMWs lol. American muscle cars were a little too “good ol’ boy” for me, something I think I was running away from in my boondocks town. I still always preferred Mustang to Camaro or Challenger, and that’s still true.

I rented a Shelby Mustang for the Pacific Coast Highway, and it was mostly enjoyable but also felt like a big dumb sledgehammer but I guess that’s what people love about them. I also rented a 1965 to drive the Apache Trail in Arizona. That was a much more special experience, and something the new car doesn’t quite capture. I wish the new cars had the dimensions of the old cars, but it seems like everyone on this side of a Miata thinks that about their cars these days, Emira included.

I don’t know if it translates across the Atlantic, but in the states these cars have developed a meme reputation for running into crowds of people at car meets. Countless videos of people who have no idea how to handle RWD power lighting the tires up out of a Cars and Coffee and ending up in a roadside fence.

Candidly though I really like the way the new ones look. They feel too big to be sporty to me, but I’m obviously used to smaller things for smaller roads. They make good sense for big American highways but I wouldn’t want them for UK B-roads or tight Alpine passes.

View attachment 9020View attachment 9021
He He great reply and photos thank you. Glad I asked now.
I guess similarly to you I grew up in a Ford family so always had a soft spot for fast ford's and muscle cars. But being in UK I didn't have much access to the muscle side and again like you they didn't really interest me from a delicacy of handling perspective. The new ones look a lot better in all respects though and the Mach1 seems like a sweet spot where it should be fast, comfortable and handle nicely whilst also not really requiring any further modifications.
The thought of those two journeys you mentioned really appeal, I need to get on the road again! Thanks for sharing :)

Hello there. I haven’t personally driven a Mach I, but I have driven a ‘16 GT350, both on the road and at VIR raceway. Superb, fantastic car! It really is a ‘sports car’ in most senses of the word. I’d say its biggest fault is its weight (it certainly ain’t no Lotus that’s for sure!). But it hides/carries its weight well. The GT350 is no longer made, but the Mach I is its successor. Slightly lower power but more torque. Just as good a chassis. Same transmission. And more reliable Coyote motor vs the more fragile Voodoo. Can’t go wrong with the Mach I, I’d say.

All that — I ended up buying a ‘20 Camaro ZL1 1LE 6sp manual. After driving it, it has the superior Alpha chassis, waaaaay more power (650hp/650tq!), way more aero help, and the Multimatic DSSV suspension. It’s a way more bonkers car (and not nearly as daily driveable as the Mach I!). But I wanted bonkers, and screaming fast, and rarely seen, so I bought the ZLE 😎

Attachments

• D73CFACD-EC37-4A5C-9B3D-FFDF46C7424E.jpeg
    D73CFACD-EC37-4A5C-9B3D-FFDF46C7424E.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 23
Hello there. I haven’t personally driven a Mach I, but I have driven a ‘16 GT350, both on the road and at VIR raceway. Superb, fantastic car! It really is a ‘sports car’ in most senses of the word. I’d say its biggest fault is its weight (it certainly ain’t no Lotus that’s for sure!). But it hides/carries its weight well. The GT350 is no longer made, but the Mach I is its successor. Slightly lower power but more torque. Just as good a chassis. Same transmission. And more reliable Coyote motor vs the more fragile Voodoo. Can’t go wrong with the Mach I, I’d say.

All that — I ended up buying a ‘20 Camaro ZL1 1LE 6sp manual. After driving it, it has the superior Alpha chassis, waaaaay more power (650hp/650tq!), way more aero help, and the Multimatic DSSV suspension. It’s a way more bonkers car (and not nearly as daily driveable as the Mach I!). But I wanted bonkers, and screaming fast, and rarely seen, so I bought the ZLE 😎
Mmm hadn't appreciated the Mach 1 was so hefty, I was guessing 1650kg tops. Good info on the engine.
The Camaro does indeed look and sound bonkers, too bonkers for the UK I can imagine. But then we can't get them anyway so that removes any temptation 😅

The new Mach 1 in white has great presence, It's the reason why I am seriously considering a white Emira when it comes time for me to order. We were waiting outside a Japanese BBQ restaurant and there was one parked on the street. My wife kept asking me what car it was because it looked really cool. The side profile of the car is especially good looking.

The new Mach 1 in white has great presence, It's the reason why I am seriously considering a white Emira when it comes time for me to order. We were waiting outside a Japanese BBQ restaurant and there was one parked on the street. My wife kept asking me what car it was because it looked really cool. The side profile of the car is especially good looking.
It is a looker for sure. Ford Design team did a good job with this one

The Camaro ZL1 is my favorite street car to drive in Gran Turismo, which I didn’t expect.

Each car I unlock I’m like…

1663765429741.gif

I briefly owned a 2000 Mustang. Worst car I ever owned. Poor design. Poor fit and finish. Slow and sloppy.

I'm not American... But we have a lot of Mustang fans north of the border. We probably have a different opinion of Mustangs and muscle cars in general. They are very common and popular. Which tends to loose its lustre a bit. I drove a GT500 recently, and well lets say it is damn quick. A lot of car for the money, but over here it is still a little bit to common to be considered special. (maybe not a GT500, but it's still a Mustang)

Yes I wouldn't consider one between the years of 1970 and 2018 😅😉

I actually had a 1999 convertible. Black with white leather interior. It was okay. Not the worst car I've owned - that honor belongs to the 2005 Toyota Corolla, which was just a sad, sad, SAD car. I bought it as a cheap commuter but every time I got into the car, I got the uneasy feeling that the car was suffering and wanted to become a heap of nothing. I sold it after less than 2 years of ownership.

View attachment 9020View attachment 9021
Great pics,

The last one, that Magma Red Mustang, is it pre-production, press, dealer, or final customer spec?
asking for a friend who insists in measuring the wheel gap.
Touring or Sports?
Thank God he can't see the bonnet.