• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What engine will you go with Toyota V6 or AMG 4? [poll]

What engine option will you choose for the Emira

• AMG-sourced four-cylinder making 360 horsepower

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Supercharged 416-hp Toyota V-6

Votes: 147 69.0%

• Total voters
Latecomer here.
As an Exige V6 Cup refugee the V6 manual was absolutely all I was interested in when placed an early deposit.
The appeal of a V6 with tardy IPS is a mystery to me, but each to their own - it won't be the collectors choice for sure (if that were a consideration).
Then, as others have said already, when found out the price was a £16k difference in the wrong direction (I expected the uplift to be for the newer engine and DCT) I faltered... and because money is limited here, I just cant justify the 16k uplift to only (for me) get a Manual 'box.
My V6 sounded amazing, but only with the addition of a 2bular exhaust (highly recommended), so I doubt a sound-proofed Emira will ever live up to that.
It seems the AMG will offer comparable performance to the V6 - and more tunable (per £) as to get serious increase from the V6 involves Komotec bills of £15k+. By which time you are over £90k before options (used 991 GT3 or Mc570 very tempting there - irrelevant comparison I know but would perplex me!).
Also the running costs if the V6 is full whack road tax might make the AMG easier to live with (including the big first year payment), plus fuel if get to use this as much as hoped (desperately trying to persuade myself!)
I know I'll regret it, but I've done it now and been bumped to the AMG queue...
I'm lucky though having an S1 Elise, which I've had 20+ years and never selling. The idea of chopping that in (as probably worth about 16k) to bridge from AMG to V6 Emira makes this even starker - no way!!
I'll keep the S1 for the old school back-to-basics feel thank you kindly, and the AMG Emira for as much else as possible.
Looking forward to seeing more of your First Edition specs on here as I have a bit longer before committing now and interested to see what you go for. Personally I think the Harry Metcalf spec is far too restrained, but then he is a far more discerning gentleman than I!:)
991 GT3 for $120,000? Must be tracked to hell.

Hi

Would be cool to see where you read that info about the engine.
Just st up for a test drive before selecting. Supercharging helps make a car sound better and louder. The exhaust gasses are reused so this takes some of sound away. Depends on exhaust system.

Isn't it the case that it is the exhaust that is the "loudspeaker" for the engine and creates most of the noise and fireworks! I've heard cars drawing near, with the sound of a Maclaren (other, hyper cars available), they turn the corner and into sight ................... a Fiesta/Corsa ..similar!!!
Would be cool if lotus offered engine upgrade packages for the AMG engine like Mopar did for the dodge SRT -4 with warrantee.