• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What is coming 16.09.24??

The big blank canvas on the upper rear quarter is for signage: "Lotus OEM ICE Parts Express Delivery" "Open Marketing VP position - call 000-0000-0000 for details" etc.

after watching the video (s)...

- they confirmed this will not be a production car, it's truly a concept car. that's good
- they confirmed that Lotus will be all EV by 2028, did that timeline get pushed back? that's a few more years of Emira refinement
- I like some of the translucent bits and how much of the suspension components you can see when you take a closer look
- when they pan around the car, you can see the shape better. I kind of get some of the lines front to back. I think the white underbelly could be a nod to older lotus paint scheme. the expanse of white on the rear top quarter panel is what looks the worst. the front nearly continuous wedge looks great. the overall shape looks like a lambo or espirit wedge
- this car would be so easy to PPF

Kinda disagree with the general wedge shape being something that 'is great'. It looks like older cars but those wedge shaped cars were based on a flawed understanding of aerodynamics. Many other design studies, prototypes that have come out in the recent past i think look a lot better. Even ones going for a retro-styling like the N74.

I assume that's sarcasm about the PPF? It will be a nightmare.

The front to rear fender/door thing has so many complex curves despite looking flat straight on. It twists in at least 2 directions before it even reaches the rear qtr panel. And that rear panel has...god i'm counting at least 6 curved/twisting sections assuming you split it at the line with the light-bar. Not to mention it's overall size.

The front end.. forget it?

front looks great, back looks just awful. it's like a mashup of lamborghini up front and a kia EV6 at the back. Too boxy back there and 2 colored paint scheme doesn't work. Stop worrying about carbon footprint and recycled blah blah blah. I mean who cares if the glass is recycled, it's glass come on. If you get solid state batteries in there you'll cut the weight down under 3000 pounds and don't need 70 KWH to get it 250 miles, cut down the weight and there's new electric motors that weigh half as much as current ones. Stop going after supercar territory, too many bespoke supercars and they're all going electric now.

The more real-world details I see of this car, the more I realize how much cool tech it has.
I felt the same after seeing that this is in fact much more than just a render. But I can't help but think Lotus is pouring boatloads of cash into the wrong priorities. I admittedly don't know much about these things, but is Lotus/Geely just window-dressing for a sale of the company (rather than actually trying to fix all the wrongs)?

I don’t think Lotus has the budget for random one off concepts. My opinion, we are looking at type 135 prototype / design concept. I am sure the production model will be less futuristic and more toned down with an Evija interior. Will this only help Emira sales? Showing that Lotus is full in on electric by 2028. I feel like they are trying to stir up sales activity and brand awareness with this theory 1.

Missed opportunity to confusingly call them Locust doors...because it sounds too similar to Lotus.

Also pretty sad how many people are accepting the 'chopped up carbon fiber' is done for sustainability. Yes...there can be lots of excess from carbon fiber manufacturing. But at scale manufacturing for a car like this they would likely need more chopped carbon than they can source without literally taking perfectly good carbon strands or weave and chopping it up just to fill the inventory needed to keep making the panels.

Last edited:
I felt the same after seeing that this is in fact much more than just a render. But I can't help but think Lotus is pouring boatloads of cash into the wrong priorities. I admittedly don't know much about these things, but is Lotus/Geely just window-dressing for a sale of the company (rather than actually trying to fix all the wrongs)?
My dealer confirmed today that they will continue to iterate on the Emira, including the S. Per his dealer meeting.

My dealer confirmed today that they will continue to iterate on the Emira, including the S. Per his dealer meeting.
Given the challenges with the V6 I think it is somewhat likely (maybe they won't say as much) that the S will be an i4 only platform. They've already bumped the power up to the v6 level, I don't see many reasons why there could not be another bump.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back